Experiences with non-techies

"You can't leave the PC turned on 24/7, the processor won't handle it!" -> Was referring to a Xeon.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

My mom watched me build my PC, constantly saying "Wow, that's so amazing," or, "You're such a computer genius" and yet she still won't let me open her macbook to let me do work on it.  Also, she bought a 2X2GB kit of ram to add to her macbook, but the kit in the macbook is already 2X2gb so any combo will amount to 4gb.  To add onto that she knows that if she goes somewhere to get it put in it will cost a ridiculous amount and knows that I can do it for her just fine but won't let me open the laptop.  I can't put the blame on her though because she actually knows what RAM is at least and knows more than me about RAID.  She also constantly complains how her computer is slow when she has seventeen programs and browsers open on a mac G5 with approx. 3GB of RAM.  

My life is consumed by CS:GO, even though I'm not exceptionally good at it.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

I'm assuming it stood for something, do you know what?

ISIS is a terrorist group in the Middle East. ISIS Wallet changed to Softcard and people in the networking field stopped referring to the routing protocol "IS-IS" (pronounced Eye. Ess. Eye. Ess.) as simply "ISIS" and started adding the hyphen when the terrorist group grew worthy enough for some attention.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

ISIS is a terrorist group in the Middle East. ISIS Wallet changed to Softcard and people in the networking field stopped referring to the routing protocol "IS-IS" (pronounced Eye. Ess. Eye. Ess.) as simply "ISIS" and started adding the hyphen when the terrorist group grew worthy enough for some attention.

Oh I know what ISIS as in the terrorist group stands for I was wondering what the wallet app stood for.

My life is consumed by CS:GO, even though I'm not exceptionally good at it.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

My school upgraded laptops that had Intel celrons that are single core and have one gb of ram, they originally had windows vista 32bit but they "upgraded" them to windows 7 64bit

The weird kid in the corner eating glue
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King

Someone who I knew paid for WinRar....

I bought a license around 10 years ago in support. Yes you can continue to use it for free but the question is should you.

CPU Intel i7 3770K | Motherboard ASUS Z77 Sabertooth | RAM G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB(4x 4GB) | GPU ASUS GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II TOP | Case Thermaltake Overseer | Storage Samsung SSD 500GB 850EVO, WD Caviar Black 1TB | PSU Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 Series 1000W | Display(s) ASUS PB278Q 27", 2x Samsung LS22C45KBW 22" | Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H75 | Keyboard Razer Lycosa | Mouse Razer Lachesis | Sound Dell speakers a525 2.1, Razer Kraken 7.1 | Operating System Windows 7 Professional

Oh I know what ISIS as in the terrorist group stands for I was wondering what the wallet app stood for.

I was wondering the same thing...

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

I was talking with my friend today, asked him some basic stuff about cpus (which he kiiiinda knew with a bit of my help). Then I asked him what Google is. "you know, its the site where you search..." (what about their servers etc.? Android?).

I feel sorry for him. He's using some 15eur logitech speakers and says "its fine, I don't need anything else" to everything (note he could afford things like a new system, mechanical keyboard (he says that they aren't worth it)). And I'm here, all allergic to people who don't do any research about a product like a mouse or headset before buying. He just goes to the store (the most popular one and his favorite is overpriced, about 20e more than from the internet) to the lets say mice shelf and pics out the best looking logitech mouse for 20eur that says gaming in its name. Thats literally what he sai to me when I asked him how he would pick out a new mouse. I was like "why just logitech? What about razer, roccat and such? You would be better off with just googling top 10 gaming mice under 20eur than just going to the store and picking out the prettiest one (visuals are the most important thing to him)".

It just hurts me to see people spend money on overpriced things and are too lazy to do a basic google search. 

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

I have another pretty good one.

I was talking to my friend about details on modern games (i.e. bf4 cod and the like) and told him eventually that PCs make them look the best. And he started to show an interest in getting a gaming PC so i made him a parts list and the next day he comes to me and just say "you know what i'll just buy an Xbox one" (Keep in mind this was before the price drop and the Xbone was 600 dollars.) 

I just put in the other thread about things you hate the most about tech stuff, but this relates to it. I absolutely hate fixing computers for non tech people. I clean everything up and improve their pc, a few days later I get called up and yelled at because I ruined it. They usually demand me to fix it and I do, they download the same crap that ruined their computer in the first place once again. After that, I just let them be.

Someone (My closest friend) was an apple fanboy.

Me: <Playing Clash of Clans>

Him: Why do you have no iPhone?

Me: Cause they suck balls

Him: Then why do you have an iPad, hypocrit?

Me: I learned my lesson. Do not buy one. <Continues to text friends on Clash>

Him: Whats to special about Android?

Me: Whats special about iOS?

Me: Well complete control and costumiziabillity

Him: Over what?

Me: The whole expierence

Him: Of?

Me: Using it.

Him: iPhones are faster than Android.

Me: How???

Him: Uhhhhhh.... THEY JUST ARE. DONT JUDGE!!!!

Me: Asking my other friend if you could go take facedesking and take it to the next level.

Anyways, heres whats wrong with the arguement:

1) Moto E Gen 2 has twice the number of cores and costs 6 times less than the 6 Plus.

2) Failed to see all the things Android brings to the table.

3) Failed to see that they have never gone past dual core with 1080p

4) My grandmas ASUS Memopad will kill any iPad ever.

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

Oooh I got another story, this one will make you facedesk SO hard. I have had a friend who's a complete console fanboy, specifically ps3. He thought that ps3 was more powerful than any gaming computer and ps3 games had better graphics. I told him how that's impossible because the games were made on a PC originally and they can't make a better looking game on a console because of obvious limitations. He then got upset and claimed that the ps3 "downloaded newer graphics cards" to improve the system. Then I rebutted using his logic and said, why don't they just do that with PC? He got really mad at this point, then I showed him my version of over modded oblivion that pushed the limits of graphics back then, comparing his ps3's graphics. He got so upset over it, knowing I cornered him and that I knew more than him in general, he "accidentally" spilled coke all over my laptop. Normally I would of taken legal action in a heartbeat but he was poor, his mom was dead, his oldest brother was in jail, and got beaten up by his second older brother all the time. So I let it slide. One day he came to my house to apologize and I accepted it, skeptical as always. We got into another argument about resolution and how my 4k tv was nicer looking than his larger 1080p TV. Remembering what he did last time, I agreed with him and let it be. When he left he stole my about $400 since he wanted "buy" them off me (he said he would give me a "swat"knife) and I declined. I was on my deck while he was taking off and forgot his hoody in my room, he filled the games in his hoody and took off before I even knew what happened. People are shit.

That profile picture though xD

(or .gif if you want to be technical)

I know. I had to kill it with adguard just so that I can read his post without feeling too awkward if someone walked in.

Really wondering whether that gif breaks the CoC...

My friend said Xbox gaming has better graphics, and games run slower on PC... I explained to him consoles were locked at 30 FPS and he didn't even know what "FPS" is

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

1) Moto E Gen 2 has twice the number of cores and costs 6 times less than the 6 Plus.

2) Failed to see all the things Android brings to the table.

3) Failed to see that they have never gone past dual core with 1080p

4) My grandmas ASUS Memopad will kill any iPad ever.

Actually, they now have 3 cores. And now you complain that they never went past 1080p, and later you start complaining about 1440p on phones.

And you can't just compare phones by cores and GHz. iOS is a lot more optimised than Android, and it's a lot easier to use if every piece of tech you own is made by Apple (and your friend might just have all of them, considering the fact that he's an Apple fanboy)

Also, a few kids at my school think that you NEED to have a case for your phone.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Just got a pretty good one. When my grandma comes to my room when my system is under load she sometimes touches the case to see how hot it is and is convinced that my desktop is overheating. The CPU is about 333K when under load and my gpu is probably about 360K. Clearly both are designed for much higher temps than those and the fact that the case is hot is a GOOD thing since the heat is radiating away from the components correctly. Somehow she fails to understand basic physics even after I explain it... or maybe she's just acting so that she can get me to go to sleep when it's 1:30 in the morning.

I feel that it is not the non techies that are the problem but it is those who don't know about tech and talk with incomplete knowledge that are. That is because they are not even ready to learn if you correct them and still worser they treat others like they don't know anything....get real irritated when I meet such people! :angry: 

My build log(in progress): http://bit.ly/1CMaebR

Cheers & Ciao!

Venki

I know. I had to kill it with adguard just so that I can read his post without feeling too awkward if someone walked in.

Really wondering whether that gif breaks the CoC...

I looked at it and I believe it doesn't, but if I get any issues with an admin, I'll change it right away.

Just got a pretty good one. When my grandma comes to my room when my system is under load she sometimes touches the case to see how hot it is and is convinced that my desktop is overheating. The CPU is about 333K when under load and my gpu is probably about 360K. Clearly both are designed for much higher temps than those and the fact that the case is hot is a GOOD thing since the heat is radiating away from the components correctly. Somehow she fails to understand basic physics even after I explain it... or maybe she's just acting so that she can get me to go to sleep when it's 1:30 in the morning.

wat measuring in Kelvin what are you, some science person...?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||