Experiences with non-techies

Well, sorta. Still mostly just lurking :)

Desktop: CPU: i7 3770k OC: 4.0 GHZ | CPUCooler: Corsair H100i | GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCU2 | Motherboard: Gigabyte z77x-ud5h | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 gig, 1600 mhz | PSU: Corsair AX860 | Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Storage: Corsair Force 3 120 gb, Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

Periphirals: Keyboard: Logitech g710+ | Mice: Desktop: Razer Imperator Battlefield 3 Edition. Laptop: Razer Deathadder 3.5g edition | Mousepads: Desktop: Razer Goliathus Control Extended edition Laptop: Razer Goliathus Control edition | Sound stuff: Bose Companion 2 speakers (Free yay), Beyerdynamic DT-770 250 Ohm.

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad Edge e540: CPU: i7 4702mq | GPU: Nvidia Geforce gt740 | RAM: 8 gig of some brand | Storage: 1 TB of some brand 5400 rpm | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

we'll all come back here and laugh when 3d printing gets perfected...

I think 3D printing material that's conductive is already a thing (We can print metals so yea) so now we just need a printer that can go 12nm :D

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

Ironically resetting things does usually fix them.

Says every apple user....ever.

Well, sorta. Still mostly just lurking :)

He's only had 125 posts and the stock profile pic, but has created one of the most popular threads.....

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

*starts salivating greedily*

Here have some 3D printed chocolate ;)

(yes that's a thing if you remember CES 2014)

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

He's only had 125 posts and the stock profile pic, but has created one of the most popular threads.....

He's the most interesting user on the forum,  :lol:

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

I have four Dell Latitude e6410/e6400 Mobile workstations. They are absolutely rock solid. The 2 e6410's have i5s and Intel HD. The other 2 e6400s have C2d's, One with Chipset graphics and another with a Quadro. I have had no problems with the Quadro, seems to work fine. But best of all,, they all have standard DP and eSATA ports. Absolute workstations.

Also, quick question, what would have more power driving a 1080p display with WMC. I am currently using the Core i5, but it struggles to run WMC. Would the 2c/2t C2d with a Quadro (I think NVS 130) beat a 2c/4t Core i5 with Intel HD graphics?

The quadro would probably win on GPU, but the i5 probably on CPU. you could probably buy an upgrade for the CPU on the Quadro machine, which would put them closer on cpu horses.

It does have an extra mpcie slot but idk if the bios supports that. Also the one i have is the integrated graphics so overheating is not a problem. Its the d630

Thanks, that is the one that my family had and the quardo GPU died. the BIOS should as I'm pretty sure there was a 3g version. you should be able to get a bios that supports the extra slot.

I have a new one.

My mother has just recently got a new laptop and needed office 2013 with it. She called me today and asked me where the cd was. She wasn't aware that most stuff is digital now and handled with keys.

Also, this blew up.

Good to see you. Have you read all the posts in the thread?

Good to see you. Have you read all the posts in the thread?

Not at all :) There is just so much to read./

Desktop: CPU: i7 3770k OC: 4.0 GHZ | CPUCooler: Corsair H100i | GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCU2 | Motherboard: Gigabyte z77x-ud5h | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 gig, 1600 mhz | PSU: Corsair AX860 | Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Storage: Corsair Force 3 120 gb, Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

Periphirals: Keyboard: Logitech g710+ | Mice: Desktop: Razer Imperator Battlefield 3 Edition. Laptop: Razer Deathadder 3.5g edition | Mousepads: Desktop: Razer Goliathus Control Extended edition Laptop: Razer Goliathus Control edition | Sound stuff: Bose Companion 2 speakers (Free yay), Beyerdynamic DT-770 250 Ohm.

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad Edge e540: CPU: i7 4702mq | GPU: Nvidia Geforce gt740 | RAM: 8 gig of some brand | Storage: 1 TB of some brand 5400 rpm | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

This is a whole new level of non-techie (and one of my favourite sketches by one of my favourite comedians):

Edit: Apparently embedding a video is easier than you think. As in too easy and 'idiotproof' that a person expecting and experienced with more complicated and sophisticated methods would struggle through 4+ edits to get it right

Been a bit constant.

-Dad complains that computer is slow because HD is full because of my games, partially true because it's a 320GB prolly SATA 2 with 1/2 of it's partition gone. Really it's a 20' iMac from early 2008 with 2GB of RAM DDR2. The intake most likely dusty.

-Complains downloading something off the internet is slow because of the computer, doesn't check internet speed.

I guess the older generations aren't willing to learn or want to switch from Analog to Digital since they're used to simplicity or what they're used to.

Been a bit constant.

-Dad complains that computer is slow because HD is full because of my games, partially true because it's a 320GB prolly SATA 2 with 1/2 of it's partition gone. Really it's a 20' iMac from early 2008 with 2GB of RAM DDR2. The intake most likely dusty.

-Complains downloading something off the internet is slow because of the computer, doesn't check internet speed.

I guess the older generations aren't willing to learn or want to switch from Analog to Digital since they're used to simplicity or what they're used to.

Ironically a lot of analogue-based stuff is less simple than certain digital things we have today. And no I'm not thinking Rube Goldberg. Ok, a computer is a lot more complex than most things, but in terms of how stuff actually works and how the user interacts with it in order for it to work there's more simplicity now.

A graphical interface that's mouse-driven and applications that use nice labelled buttons is easier than punched card or early text-based systems (especially ones that didn't feature 'help' commands). Some things have become more complicated (or at least more sophisticated - well-designed devices should never be complicated) but the user interaction is generally easier and there's normally dedicated buttons for function X rather than having to convince your technology to do what you want it to do.

Been a bit constant.

Exact same as my dad...

50Cent sweg.

So I had my first practical computer class last week. We were supposed to learn the various parts and learn how to dismantle and reassemble it back.

They were still using floppy drives with IDE cables.

And there was this annoying girl who won't stop asking stupid questions, I pulled out a stick of RAM to show my group and told them not to touch the gold contacts. And she immediately asks why and proceeds to molest the stick of RAM, imagine the horror. And I should say that we are all 18 this year.

So I had my first practical computer class last week. We were supposed to learn the various parts and learn how to dismantle and reassemble it back.

And there was this annoying girl who won't stop asking stupid questions, I pulled out a stick of RAM to show my group and told them not to touch the gold contacts. And she immediately asks why and proceeds to molest the stick of RAM, imagine the horror. And I should say that we are all 18 this year.

Sounds like my own hardware class, we were using Gateways from 2003, with Pentium 4s, 1GB DDR RAM and SCSI storage devices. Even ran Windows XP. Seriously, if you want to teach a class like that in the 2010s, use modern PCs with SATA, 4+GB DDR3 RAM and at least Windows 7, not old clunkers with XP, DDR1 RAM and IDE or SCSI :|

Oh yeah, one of my classmates, who isn't as hardware-inclined as I am, broke one. Wouldn't POST after he reassembled it and the teacher couldn't figure out what was wrong, and there was this loose cable that looked important. So there's my experiences with non-techies story, although he definitely is a techie (he claims to have programmed a joke program that opened the optical drive whenever a randomly-picked key was pressed in the second grade and used it to troll his teacher.)

Yeah I keep on telling my teacher this. It's 2015 already. We need new hardware and new textbooks with up to date content. It's sucks that I won't be able to use any, don't know about future batches :/

Asking why is ok, but proceeding to do what you were told NOT to (because rebellious teenager/'independent' tumblr girl is clearly the way forward in life) before receiving an explanation on why that was a STUPID idea is the worst thing. Ever. (maybe)

Generalise much?

I am 52, have my ECDL, ECDL Advanced,  A+, an SQA in web design and an HNC in computer networking.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Me: *walking in cafeteria on my way to the schoolyard*

Friend: Hey WinNut, come over here, I need to ask you something.

Me: What do you need?

Friend: I need you to help me install games on my calculator.

Me: OK, do you have the TI-83 or TI-84?

Friend: TI-84.

Me: Black and white or color?

Friend: I don't know.

Me: u wot m8, are you colorblind?

ANOTHER CALCULATOR STORY

Friend: Can I see your calculator?

Me: *takes out calculator*

Friend: Why does your calculator look different?

Me: Mine has a color panel.

Friend: Can you give me a color panel? *takes out B&W TI-84*

Me: WAT

1. That's not what being colorblind is, colorblind is when two different shades of a color look the same to a person.

2. How much does a Color TI 84 cost in USD?

I only ever chill on this page: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34813-experiences-with-non-techies/

If you ever spot me anywhere else, you've earned yourself an imaginary cookie  B)

colorblind is when two different shades of a color look the same to a person.

No it's not. Colo(u)rblind is a spectrum all the way from colo(u)rs not being perceived as the same as those of 'normal' vision, all the way to only seeing in monochrome (black and white).

Perhaps the most common is red-green colo(u)rblind where red and green are perceived as the same colo(u)r.

ASIDE:-

Colo(u)rblind people can GENERALLY  see camouflaged 'things' better. As they percieve lines/shapes rather than colo(u)rs

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

My Grandfather asks me to download file from the USB drive to the Desktop . !!!!!!

What is that supposed to mean.

Read post lol ; macs CAN get viruses

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)