Experiences with non-techies

I think everyone can agree that talking on the phone with elderly people about technology is an extremely annoying yet hilarious experience

Had to teach my IT teacher how to use ms paint...

Grandparents get a tablet. Still use shortcuts to webpages instead of apps

Grandmother saves everything on the desktop.

They also moan at why they had to upgrade from xp "why could they keep it the same"..."modern society" :P

I had no idea you were still around!

How many notifications did you have?

Plot twist: He didn't follow this thread so there were no notifications!!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

people expected me to be able to magically fix everything because I fixed the audio on my teachers computer in like, 8th grade

Currently spending money on parts

Grandparents get a tablet. Still use shortcuts to webpages instead of apps

I do that (and I am not a grandparent butt hen again maybe there is something No1 son wants to tell me) , stops all this "this app requires access to EVERYTHING (phone position, camera, microphone etc)" nonsense (I am not paranoid they ARE all out to get me).

Case in point son wanted access to YouTube so I was going to put the YouTube app on his tablet however the YT app wanted access to his camera and his microphone (I can see needing the camera and microphone to make a video but to view one..."), in the end just put a shortcut to the YT page in Safari and got him to use that (more like the 'Windows' he is used to as well [he is on the autistic spectrum so doesn't deal well with change]).

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

I built myself a gaming PC like a week ago, featuring a 4790K, and an R9 290. Whenever my friends ask my how much it costed and I tell them, they say that "for that price, I should've gotten an Apple laptop".  <_<

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

I built myself a gaming PC like a week ago, featuring a 4790K, and an R9 290. Whenever my friends ask my how much it costed and I tell them, they say that "for that price, I should've gotten an Apple laptop".  <_<

congrats on your build! ...and your friends.. they really don't know, do they?

INTEL i7 4790K | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X GAMING 5 | A-DATA 16GB | PCS+ R9 290 | SAMSUNG 840 EVO | MOMENTUS XT BARRACUDA |  FRACTAL DESIGN R4

So I got all the parts for my build, and the keyboard was one of the first things that came (mabye about a month ago). I plugged it in to my dads Mac to try it out and feel them blue clickies. I then unplugged and the next day when I went to write an essay I plugged it back in aaaaaaand it didn't work. The night before I had been screwing around with the dip switches on the back and didn't realize that I had put into demo mode. The LEDs still work, but input doesn't in that mode. Fast forward about a month to a few days ago, and I have just gotten windows installed and have a fully functional pc. The keyboard still doesn't work, and I had tried it multiple times. I was reading the manual and realized the dip switch was in demo mode still. I feel like such an idiot because I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it for a while, and it was such a simple problem.

Look at my shiny. The logo lights up

I just hate when people dont know crap and think they have a better computer because they have 8gb of ram and 1tb hard drive, well im sorry your intel penium b960 will outperform my athlon x4 750k??

also when people think Samsung galaxy S lineup and Iphones are the only good phones >.> 

Against All Odds pc build

AMD Athlon II x4 750k///MSI A55m E33///Kingston hyper x blue 8gb (2x4)///corsair cx430///EVGA GTX 750 SC///Rosewill FBM 01///Samsung EVO 850 120gb///Windows 8.1///Corsair Raptor k40

people expected me to be able to magically fix everything because I fixed the audio on my teachers computer in like, 8th grade

or because you "fixed" a printer that didnt work, because IT DIDN"T HAVE TINT NEITHER PAPER FFS 

Against All Odds pc build

AMD Athlon II x4 750k///MSI A55m E33///Kingston hyper x blue 8gb (2x4)///corsair cx430///EVGA GTX 750 SC///Rosewill FBM 01///Samsung EVO 850 120gb///Windows 8.1///Corsair Raptor k40

A Fellow "IT Guy" asked me to Install a 1TB RAM to a Dell 9020 for Virtual Machine Purposes. I told him there is no such thing and maybe he is referring to our 1TB Hard Disk but he insisted that he wants a 1TB RAM and I was like  :o  .....

To an extent this is true, but I have a cousin who uses the computer and installs all kinds of crap. More or less, stuff like add-ons (whatever Clownfish is, it sucks) and whatnot that automatically run on start-up. It might not seem like a lot, but when he has fifty silly bloatware apps running in the background, it makes me annoyed. Thankfully only he uses the computer now, but it's still annoying to me when he comes in and says "Dim the computer is slow"...

clownfish is a skype voicechanger, translator and chat AI

Yesterday I was talking to a good friend of mine about laptops.  She was considering a Macbook Pro, thinking it was only around a thousand bucks, but then told me her struggle typing on laptop keyboards.  She continued to say that typing on the normal keyboards at the library is easier for her.  I talked with her about mechanical keyboards and... she asked if there was a laptop with a mechanical keyboard...

There is

It's pretty hefty and is brand new at CES

But it exists.

i5-4690k @ 4.2GHz | Asus Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II | Hyper 212 EVO | ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz, Corsair XMS 4GB | 850 EVO 250GB, random 1TB drive | Corsair 200R | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W | Rosewill RK-9000BR | Logitech G700s | Logitech G930 | ViewSonic VG2427wm, Dell S2209W, Dell S2009W

Dell Inspiron 3147

Latitude E5420, Samsung 840 EVO 250gb, 12gb RAM, 1600x900 display

Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz | WD Red 2TB x3 in RAID-Z, Crucial MX100 128GB(cache drive) | Fractal Design Node 304 | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB | EVGA 500B

HTC One M8 64GB, Droid Razr M

I remember last year some ignorant person in my grade said a magnet could wipe a HDD. It's pathetic that people believe him just because he has perfect 100%s in every single class. So he brought a magnet to school... And tried it on one of the laptops... He didn't put it even remotely near the HDD. He also says Tor has "hacker" software and is meant for those who like doing illegal activities.

Ohhhh yes it can. I learned this the hard way.

i5-4690k @ 4.2GHz | Asus Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II | Hyper 212 EVO | ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz, Corsair XMS 4GB | 850 EVO 250GB, random 1TB drive | Corsair 200R | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W | Rosewill RK-9000BR | Logitech G700s | Logitech G930 | ViewSonic VG2427wm, Dell S2209W, Dell S2009W

Dell Inspiron 3147

Latitude E5420, Samsung 840 EVO 250gb, 12gb RAM, 1600x900 display

Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz | WD Red 2TB x3 in RAID-Z, Crucial MX100 128GB(cache drive) | Fractal Design Node 304 | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB | EVGA 500B

HTC One M8 64GB, Droid Razr M

Here have some 3D printed chocolate ;)

(yes that's a thing if you remember CES 2014)

I actually had some 3D printed chocolate.  It was at Maker Faire, if any of you know what that is.  It was pretty good but it tasted kinda funny...

My life is consumed by CS:GO, even though I'm not exceptionally good at it.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

This: stupidyoutuber.jpg

This is from Linus' Video Editing Workstation Build Log.

I can only imagine the guy writing this looks like your profile pic all the time.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

I can only imagine the guy writing this looks like your profile pic all the time.

that's a good assumption.

Asked my computer programming teacher what languages she knew. She replied with "Oh, just English and a little but of French." Then I said, "no, like programming languages." And she said, "Oh, sorry I misunderstood you. I know XP, Vista, windows 7, and I even know Macintosh!"

And she teaches us by giving us PowerPoint presentations from early 2000s about office and Basic is the only language we even talked about (not learned, we just mentioned it)

Intel Pentium G3258, EVGA 750ti SC http://specr.me/show/658

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fL93YJ
Surrounded by Mormons

Was helping a friend build a computer, wanted an Athlon X4 760K as a CPU, didn't find one. I linked him an 860K instead when he asked for a processor. He now says we need the chip. I link the 860K again. Now he needs a processor again, I link the 860K again. Then he needs a CPU, once again I link the 860K and say that this is the processor. He says that we still need a CPU, to which I reply that the processor and CPU are the same thing.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

I've seen someone not connect SATA data cables to the drive, just connected them to the PSU.

I've also seen people with printers try to re-fill their printers with empty ink cartridges (Silver film over the top where the contacts meet.)

I've also been asked by someone why their PC isn't turning on when their front panel IO is not connected to their MOBO when this is one of the most obvious things you check when building a PC when it doesn't even post.

Well there's more but I can't be bothered listing them haha.

I find this thread quite entertaining to read haha :>

Gamer & PC Enthusiast

Gaming Community's TeamSpeak: ts.the-eux.uk

If I've helped you out, Click that "like" button to show me some love :)

So I had to go to my school's tech department for them to sort out a problem with Photoshop CC not installing. The issue was that the download corrupted. The error message literally came up saying that the way to fix the problem was to delete the folder in the program files and re-download. The techs said that they couldn't do that because it's too much work (really?????) and insisted on re-formatting the HDD. I could have fixed the issue myself in five minutes, but accessing program files is considered an administrative privilege. Now I have to use this falling apart piece of junk loaner computer for the rest of the week. The IT guys at my school are a bunch of bumbling idiots.

"You can try to play chess with a pigeon. But even if you win, it'll shit on the board and strut around."

that's a good assumption.

oh, not anymore though, sadly, lol.