Experiences with non-techies

"Why is my laptop so slow? No, I don't want to buy more RAM or quit those background processes!"

image.png.8caaaa8d48b23c2901a3f27214d9ba7a.png

(This is not on an SSD. Not even a 5400RPM HDD. It's on a MICRO SD CARD. Half this guy's applications are also on the card. It does a solid like 40mbps.)

2 hours ago, Mel0n. said:

"Why is my laptop so slow? No, I don't want to buy more RAM or quit those background processes!"

image.png.8caaaa8d48b23c2901a3f27214d9ba7a.png

(This is not on an SSD. Not even a 5400RPM HDD. It's on a MICRO SD CARD. Half this guy's applications are also on the card. It does a solid like 40mbps.)

Ok but like how and who set that up?

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

Ok but like how and who set that up?

Laptop with a soldered eMMC drive. He's a self proclaimed "computer expert". According to him he watched a youtube video on how to move the pagefile, he bought a MicroSD card (mapped it to H for some reason), then used it for applications and kept pictures, videos etc on his internal storage...

37 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

Laptop with a soldered eMMC drive. He's a self proclaimed "computer expert". According to him he watched a youtube video on how to move the pagefile, he bought a MicroSD card (mapped it to H for some reason), then used it for applications and kept pictures, videos etc on his internal storage...

I don't like doing work for experts.

18 hours ago, Mel0n. said:

Facepalm_statue.jpg

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

• 2 weeks later...

Just remembered a couple more funny stories.

Some 15 years ago, one bank in my country decided to install a flatbed scanner in each of their branches.

First branch: I get in with my scanner under my arm, locate the operator's computer and start connecting power and USB cable, when the manager rushes to me saying "NO! I already said I want that thing installed THERE!" (on the opposite side of the room).

One quick glance at the desired location was enough for me to tell him "sorry, you can't install it there..." and he arrogantly replies "and why wouldn't I? I decided it goes there and it has to go there!".
Me: "for two reasons: one, there's no power outlet, second, how am I supposed to connect it to the PC if it's 10 meters away?"

Him: "... why, does it have to be connected to a computer?!"

Second branch:
This time the manager didn't want anything fancy but I was seeing him curiously looking at the scanner... he was looking up, down, under it, until I asked him if I could help.
And he mumbled "I understand where the original document has to go but... where do I take the prints, afterwards?"

🤦‍♂️

MAIN PC: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming | RAM: 16Gb DDR4 Patriot Viper 4 3200 | GPU: XFX RX580 4Gb GTS | Case: Sharkoon S25-W | Storage: M.2 NVME Adata Gammix S10 128Gb + SATA SSD WD Blue 1Tb | ODD: LG GH24NSD1 | PSU: Seasonic Core GM-500 | Display: AOC I2490PXQU | Cooler: Wraith Stealth | Keyboard: Logitech K120 | Mouse: Logitech B100 | Sound: the usual integrated Realtek | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

RETRO PC: CPU: AMD Athlon 64 2800+ | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M | RAM: 2Gb DDR 800 | GPU: ATi Radeon 9600 Pro 128Mb | Case: Tacens Anima AC4500 | Storage: IDE WD Blue 80Gb + IDE DVD-RW drive + floppy drive | Sound: Terratec 128i ESS Solo-1 PCI | OS: Windows 98 SE + Windows XP SP3 + Linux Bionic Pup 32
HTPC: CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | Motherboard: AsRock B450M-HDV R4.0 | RAM: 16Gb DDR4 G.Skill Aegis 3200 | Case: Aerocool CS-101 | Storage: SATA SSD Silicon Power A55 256Gb | ODD: LG blu-ray WH14NS40 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

TFW Tech illiterate iPhone Users are using an App which shows up as Full Screen and thus hides the Time and other Information in the top row and then ask what time it is. Like bro, just pull down from your stupid Notch and you'll see it. This move pulled my Boss last Friday and it took some restraint to remain calm lmao.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

2 hours ago, soldier_ph said:

TFW Tech illiterate iPhone Users are using an App which shows up as Full Screen and thus hides the Time and other Information in the top row and then ask what time it is. Like bro, just pull down from your stupid Notch and you'll see it. This move pulled my Boss last Friday and it took some restraint to remain calm lmao.

it's alot of effort! Especially when whatever app your using reloads when put in the background@

4 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

it's alot of effort! Especially when whatever app your using reloads when put in the background@

Is that a thing on iOS? On Android, if you drag down from the top in a full screen app, the usual status bar appears and temporarily covers part of the app, but it's still treated as in the foreground. You can still use the app's UI except for the small section which is covered - if you click anything it just automatically hides the status bar again. To actually put the app in the background you have to exit to the home screen or switch to another app.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

12 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Is that a thing on iOS? On Android, if you drag down from the top in a full screen app, the usual status bar appears and temporarily covers part of the app, but it's still treated as in the foreground. You can still use the app's UI except for the small section which is covered - if you click anything it just automatically hides the status bar again. To actually put the app in the background you have to exit to the home screen or switch to another app.

Yeah in IOS, whether on IPhone 8 or lower / IPhone X +, dragging from the top to the bottom to display the time and notification center causes some apps to need to reload

1 minute ago, Ankh Tech said:

Yeah in IOS, whether on IPhone 8 or lower / IPhone X +, dragging from the top to the bottom to display the time and notification center causes some apps to need to reload

Can you not briefly swipe down to get just the clock and icons (not opening the full list of notifications) without affecting the app you're in? 

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

4 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Can you not briefly swipe down to get just the clock and icons (not opening the full list of notifications) without affecting the app you're in? 

As in not swiping all the way down? It Nah they're not separate, to view the time, you have to view the notification center as well.

15 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

As in not swiping all the way down? It Nah they're not separate, to view the time, you have to view the notification center as well.

I see. On Android, you can make just the status bar (i.e. the section at the top which shows the time and network/battery icons) temporarily appear in full screen mode which allows you to check the time quickly:

image.thumb.png.275f873ca0fefea68e448ad78371c853.png

(you can do it while the video is playing as well, but pausing makes the screenshot easier)

I thought iOS had that as well... I must have been mistaken.

pythonmegapixel

50 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I see. On Android, you can make just the status bar (i.e. the section at the top which shows the time and network/battery icons) temporarily appear in full screen mode which allows you to check the time quickly:

image.thumb.png.275f873ca0fefea68e448ad78371c853.png

(you can do it while the video is playing as well, but pausing makes the screenshot easier)

I thought iOS had that as well... I must have been mistaken.

ye its pretty annoying at times, but oh well. It's not the biggest issue in the world

I work in IT and i have found that you need to make sure you dont make the person sound dumb, because they dont know as much as you do. And tell talk to them in terms that they would understand. Thats what i found is the most positive way to portray troubleshooting to someone who doesnt have a lot of knowledge.

riotmaker09

Works in IT.✌️🎮

Did you unplug and plug it back in?

I work in the corporate AV space in Washington DC, and this one time a doctor at a conference asked me to help him with his personal laptop. I say sure, and the guy asks me where the power button was on his own laptop, his personal machine. I showed him where it was, he thanked me, and that was it. It kind of ruined me.

2 minutes ago, cowmmunist said:

I work in the corporate AV space in Washington DC, and this one time a doctor at a conference asked me to help him with his personal laptop. I say sure, and the guy asks me where the power button was on his own laptop, his personal machine. I showed him where it was, he thanked me, and that was it. It kind of ruined me.

Old secretary here didn't understand that her laptop didn't charge off the internet or that internet didn't come through the charger.

A 6th grader printed out a screenshot of a YouTube video today.

And wondered why it only printed one piece of paper.

He apparently thought it would print a flipbook of all the frames so he could "watch it on the bus".

1 minute ago, Mel0n. said:

A 6th grader printed out a screenshot of a YouTube video today.

And wondered why it only printed one piece of paper.

He apparently thought it would print a flipbook of all the frames so he could "watch it on the bus".

Depending on how long the video is multiplied by 24, he can get the cinematic view!

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

2 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

Depending on how long the video is multiplied by 24, he can get the cinematic view!

reminds me of when I printed out a 12" ruler on an 8.5 x 11" piece of paper because I forgot one for a science test I needed a ruler for. I was 8. Thought I was a genius until I failed the test

So, my professor at school has been having issues with getting YouTube links from PowerPoint slides working on internet browsers. Sometimes too, the audio will not play. The computer he is using for lecture has two monitors, with one of them duplicated to the projector in the room. Yesterday, he tried getting the audio to work on the videos but no matter how many times he tried adjusting on the audio in the video, couldn't get it to work. 

After lecture, I decided to go up and ask him if I can check it out, as I'm not the one willing to go up in front of 47 other students (God I can only imagine 300+...). He let me take a look and I immediately noticed the sound was muted in Windows in the lower right corner. I chuckled inside while he questioned me why I didn't go up during the lecture.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 hour ago, CommanderAlex said:

So, my professor at school has been having issues with getting YouTube links from PowerPoint slides working on internet browsers. Sometimes too, the audio will not play. The computer he is using for lecture has two monitors, with one of them duplicated to the projector in the room. Yesterday, he tried getting the audio to work on the videos but no matter how many times he tried adjusting on the audio in the video, couldn't get it to work. 

After lecture, I decided to go up and ask him if I can check it out, as I'm not the one willing to go up in front of 47 other students (God I can only imagine 300+...). He let me take a look and I immediately noticed the sound was muted in Windows in the lower right corner. I chuckled inside while he questioned me why I didn't go up during the lecture.

Public speaking only gets easier with practice.

3 hours ago, IPD said:

Public speaking only gets easier with practice.

I've always hated it. 

I had a teacher in high school that when they addressed the class, would look out over above our heads at the wall behind them while speaking broadly to the class. Then, make eye contact with those who are "bad apples" or when answering any questions.