Experiences with non-techies

I overheard this in class. Someone who I can assume heard about the PS5 liquid metal issues said, 

"My PS5 broke because like, the magnesium melted and dripped into the hard drive or something, if I put it in the freezer it'll work again though"

I did not interject.

Emergency Data Entry Device:

Screenshot_20230203-190908_1.thumb.png.1919a3ea33b1a078349c0153c972dc29.png

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

On 1/31/2023 at 6:55 PM, Bitter said:

funny-pictures-1-31-23-19.jpg

I'm going to feel really dumb when i get an answer but: Um what?

4 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

I'm going to feel really dumb when i get an answer but: Um what?

Key hidden under doormat you can see through.

Account with the same password as the name. 

Equally unsecure.

On 12/30/2022 at 9:45 AM, ne0rmatrix said:

Here is a crazy one for those of us that believe a device should last at least a few years. Currently I am typing on some random 120 dollar razer keyboard with RGB. It now has faded text on a bunch of keys. Yes I am a gamer and the keys are the ones you expect for Wow at least. Looking to my left I have a another very expensive logitech keyboard that is a paperweight. My current keyboard is going to be replaced by another none membrane keyboard soon. But if it fails I have a 15 year old 10 dollar keyboard I bought at bestbuy because it was literally the cheapest thing they sold. It still works great, it has no faded keys. It is my backup keyboard for when my expensive gamer keyboards break. Just think of it, a 10 dollar keyboard last 15+ years and still works perfectly. But pay 10 to 20 times that cost and it is lucky to last 2 or more years.

Yeah my Keyboard is even more ancient, been in use for 20 years now. Zero fading, (needs a good clean though), and rock solid reliable. Given the price of the system it came with, (my first home one), it's undoubtedly cheap as chips at the time. but rock solid 2 decades later.

3 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

Key hidden under doormat you can see through.

Account with the same password as the name. 

Equally unsecure.

Thank you, i couldn;t understand what the picture was, i got the text but i didn't get how it related to the image. Thought i was looking at the membranes out of a membrane keyboard.

I had finished my work in class today and was playing UT99 on my little Core 2 Duo laptop.

Someone came up to me and asked what I was playing.

"Unreal Tournament 1999"

"1999? Like, the year?"

"...yeah?"

long pause  ".....they had VIDEO GAMES back then?"

2 hours ago, Mel0n. said:

I had finished my work in class today and was playing UT99 on my little Core 2 Duo laptop.

Someone came up to me and asked what I was playing.

"Unreal Tournament 1999"

"1999? Like, the year?"

"...yeah?"

long pause  ".....they had VIDEO GAMES back then?"

Wait until you whip out an Atari in class...or watch Tron.

Got a call today, someone saying their macbook screen brightness wouldn't go up. Walked over to her dorm, where she demonstrated how pressing the keyboard backlight brightness key did, in fact, not increase the brightness of the screen. Showed her the right key and all was well.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a "Press any key"; "where's the 'any' key?" situation today...

Friend of mine has a keyboard plugged into his Xbox since apparently some games can work that way. He showed me how the game screen said "Press A to continue", demonstrated how the A button on the keyboard did nothing. I took a wild guess it meant, I don't know, maybe the A button on the controller that came with the console that games are supposed to be played with? It was, indeed, that A.

Just now, Mel0n. said:

Had a "Press any key"; "where's the 'any' key?" situation today...

Friend of mine has a keyboard plugged into his Xbox since apparently some games can work that way. He showed me how the game screen said "Press A to continue", demonstrated how the A button on the keyboard did nothing. I took a wild guess it meant, I don't know, maybe the A on the controller that came with the console that games are supposed to be played with? It was, indeed, that A.

I was playing the PC version of Stubbs the Zombie which was a terrible port from X-Box but mostly worked fine...until a part where your Zombie character had to dance and they just left the controls on the screen as the X-Box controls which didn't have PC counterparts for this part of the game. Trigger buttons and the letter keys on the X-Box controller WERE mapped to keyboard and mouse functions but those keyboard and mouse buttons did nothing in the dancing mini-game because the devs screwed something up. Thankfully you could fail the mini-game successfully and progress past it only missing out on an non consequential achievement. Very frustrating though!

Friend: How do I open My Xbox 1 S to clean it.

Me: Why are you cleaning your Xbox?

Friend: It's too slow, the CPU is clogged.

My Seatmate in my class in school has bought a MacBook and replaced his Surface Go 2 with it. We explicitly need a device which has Touch and Pen Support but apparently he has forgotten that. Reason why he got a Mac in the first place is that he would look cool with it and he just wanted it. Yeah no wonder he doesn't have an actual reason because he is extremely Tech illiterate and even forgot that the MacBook doesn't have a Touchscreen. Judging by the discusting and obvious Fingerprints on his Display and that he instinctively tried to move a Window around with his Fingers on the Display. Also he didn't really understand how to connect to the school WiFi Network. Because one has to login now using an SMS Code and for that to sign up with your phone Number you have to navigate to the school Website which the Web Browser would open for you after you would select the school WiFi in your Settings but he kept closing the new Tab everytime he opened Safari. I had to painstakingly navigate him through the process of connecting to a WiFi Network, it was really a difficult Task for him. He was asking me confused why the Microsoft Store wasn't on Mac OS since that's where he downloaded all his Software from on the Surface Go 2. On Tuesday it was his turn to present a Kahoot to the class as an opening to the lesson in the Morning. He and my Teacher had some Technical problems to say the least. My Teacher even went like: "Oh, those must be lightning ports on your Mac, right ?!?". Because he needed to connect the Mac to the Big presenting Display in front and needed a USB C to HDMI Dongle for it. That's where I died a little inside. The Teacher then just plugged in said Dongle and was surprised that it "fit" and "worked". I really am the only guy in my class who can present a Kahoot without any Technical difficulties.

Whenever non Techies ask me or I hear them ask other people if I or they have a Charging Cable for their Device they never mention the name of the Connector but just the brand or worse show me/them the port on their Device. And they are never in any way specific because why would you ?

Non Techies in my experience only know:

Apple USB C to Lightning Cable as the "Apple Cable"

USB C to C as the "Samsung Cable"

USB A to Micro B as the "old Samsung Cable" or probably would also just say "Samsung Cable" for extra confusion.

Microsoft Surface proprietary Charging/Data Cable as the "Laptop Charging Cable"

And they describe the shapes and sizes of the Connectors in the worst possible way sometimes, that's what is really annoying me when I have to hear it.

Yeah I don't often feel like helping out unless I'm specifically asked to. Because I just love to watch them struggle with such basic things.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

2 hours ago, soldier_ph said:

My Seatmate in my class in school has bought a MacBook and replaced his Surface Go 2 with it. We explicitly need a device which has Touch and Pen Support but apparently he has forgotten that. Reason why he got a Mac in the first place is that he would look cool with it and he just wanted it. Yeah no wonder he doesn't have an actual reason because he is extremely Tech illiterate and even forgot that the MacBook doesn't have a Touchscreen. Judging by the discusting and obvious Fingerprints on his Display and that he instinctively tried to move a Window around with his Fingers on the Display. Also he didn't really understand how to connect to the school WiFi Network. Because one has to login now using an SMS Code and for that to sign up with your phone Number you have to navigate to the school Website which the Web Browser would open for you after you would select the school WiFi in your Settings but he kept closing the new Tab everytime he opened Safari. I had to painstakingly navigate him through the process of connecting to a WiFi Network, it was really a difficult Task for him. He was asking me confused why the Microsoft Store wasn't on Mac OS since that's where he downloaded all his Software from on the Surface Go 2. On Tuesday it was his turn to present a Kahoot to the class as an opening to the lesson in the Morning. He and my Teacher had some Technical problems to say the least. My Teacher even went like: "Oh, those must be lightning ports on your Mac, right ?!?". Because he needed to connect the Mac to the Big presenting Display in front and needed a USB C to HDMI Dongle for it. That's where I died a little inside. The Teacher then just plugged in said Dongle and was surprised that it "fit" and "worked". I really am the only guy in my class who can present a Kahoot without any Technical difficulties.

Whenever non Techies ask me or I hear them ask other people if I or they have a Charging Cable for their Device they never mention the name of the Connector but just the brand or worse show me/them the port on their Device. And they are never in any way specific because why would you ?

Non Techies in my experience only know:

Apple USB C to Lightning Cable as the "Apple Cable"

USB C to C as the "Samsung Cable"

USB A to Micro B as the "old Samsung Cable" or probably would also just say "Samsung Cable" for extra confusion.

Microsoft Surface proprietary Charging/Data Cable as the "Laptop Charging Cable"

And they describe the shapes and sizes of the Connectors in the worst possible way sometimes, that's what is really annoying me when I have to hear it.

Yeah I don't often feel like helping out unless I'm specifically asked to. Because I just love to watch them struggle with such basic things.

More money than sense irrationally pisses me off. They should just give me that money instead.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

Today I was a non techie.

To put things in context. We have 2 laser printers and 1 dot matrix printer at work. Most stuff prints on the laser printer, but anything dealing with receiving, returns and warehouse errors print out on the dot matrix. So my boss asked me to get paper work off the printer for a return and I couldn't figure out how to get the sheets out of the dot matrix printer because the last time I seen one was elementary school. Come to find out, we are the only warehouse in the company that still uses a dot matrix printer. Only because the receiving lead like it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

To put things in context. We have 2 laser printers and 1 dot matrix printer at work. Most stuff prints on the laser printer, but anything dealing with receiving, returns and warehouse errors print out on the dot matrix. So my boss asked me to get paper work off the printer for a return and I couldn't figure out how to get the sheets out of the dot matrix printer because the last time I seen one was elementary school. Come to find out, we are the only warehouse in the company that still uses a dot matrix printer. Only because the receiving lead like it. 

You still running a Pentium II Xeon in the server room? I'm more interested in what the hell is so old a dot matrix printer will plug into it, I've never seen one with anything other than parallel.

2 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

You still running a Pentium II Xeon in the server room? I'm more interested in what the hell is so old a dot matrix printer will plug into it, I've never seen one with anything other than parallel.

I have no clue how it's wired up to be honest. It sits right next to a laser printer in the assistant manager office. 

As far as the Pentium II goes, some times I think that could be the case. From what I understand the software we use is server centric, if we loose internet we have no way to log in to inventory system. As the server is located in South Dakota and our warehouse is in Michigan. The server in question likes to have strokes, especially when we are busy. 

On 12/2/2022 at 12:35 AM, Donut417 said:

My dad is too old to be on a ladder and im not good with tools and shit, so Im not any help, plus Im not climbing 30+ feet in the air to install an antenna when I have not a clue what Im doing. 

haha that's why the aerial I installed sits behind the shed and somehow picks up everything still lmao 

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

On 3/8/2023 at 6:50 PM, Donut417 said:

The biggest setback for companies in my experience are people when changes occur, because a lot of people are so resistant to it. Now granted, sometimes doing it the same way is better because the new way has limitations and is genuinely inferior. However, I've seen scenarios where the new way would be best, but people that are involved want to keep doing it the old way.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

27 minutes ago, DERPmaster said:

what the heck even is that?

Never heard of

It’s printer from like the 80s/90s. Like I said, haven’t seen one since elementary school. 

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

The biggest setback for companies in my experience are people when changes occur, because a lot of people are so resistant to it. Now granted, sometimes doing it the same way is better because the new way has limitations and is genuinely inferior. However, I've seen scenarios where the new way would be best, but people that are involved want to keep doing it the old way.

I think he likes the fact that the pages are all connected together. When we get product in it’s generally 30 pallets of mixed items. We don’t use scanners like Amazon, everything is pen and paper here. So he has to break down the pallets and count how much of each product. Then he makes sure the amounts match the sheets that printed.