Intel and Micron Announce 3D NAND Production, Open Gates to 10 TB SSDs

Amit Moryossef

New NAND manufacturing process stacks memory cells for higher-capacity, lower-cost solid-state storageIntel and Micron revealed on March 26 that they have teamed up and developed a NAND technology that is so dense, that it will allow creating SSDs with over 10 terabytes of capacity.

Although it might seem like these high capacity drives would be very expensive, the technology will not only enable high-capacity SSDs, but it is also assumed that it will drive down the prices on smaller SSDs.

The technology, on a basic level, is easy to understand. Traditional memory chips are built on a single plane, but 3D NAND stacks the memory cells vertically. In doing so it greatly increases the potential data capacity of a single chip. Intel and Micron are quoting a maximum capacity of 48GB per memory die. Since solid state drives host multiple chips, this puts the maximum capacity around 3.5 terabytes for a small M.2 drive (as you might find in a thin laptop, or Intel’s NUC) and over ten terabytes for a 2.5” SSD.

The new 3D NAND will offer over three times the capacity of traditional NAND, a smaller cost per gigabyte, and greater durability and longevity of the memory cells.

http://www.digitaltr...id-state-drive/Source:http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/intel-3d-nand-10tb-solid-state-drive/Other Sources:

Click here to view the article

This thread is against the guidelines in place for Tech News and Reviews section. Please fix.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

How uptight do you wanna get there mate. It's still news

lolololo

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

If 2tb or 3tb SSD's can take the price-point of high class 1tb's at $500-600.  I'd be so damn happy.  1tb at $300 seems to be the trend slowly with all the new Patriot, Mushkin and other brand drives, so hopefully that is going to happen much faster, and with this--I will -happily- take a 2tb Intel 2.5" drive *_*   Still waiting on those 750 NVME drives.  Just.. 6 more days.  Only 6 more damn days.

If 2tb or 3tb SSD's can take the price-point of high class 1tb's at $500-600.  I'd be so damn happy.  1tb at $300 seems to be the trend slowly with all the new Patriot, Mushkin and other brand drives, so hopefully that is going to happen much faster, and with this--I will -happily- take a 2tb Intel 2.5" drive *_*   Still waiting on those 750 NVME drives.  Just.. 6 more days.  Only 6 more damn days.

Can you give source to that?

This thread is against the guidelines in place for Tech News and Reviews section. Please fix.

Fixed it.. Guidelines are not everything when the article is self explainitary.

Can you give source to that?

Fixed it.. Guidelines are not everything when the article is self explainitary.

This:  http://www.intelgamingpromo.com/intel15b/ssd/notice   And then:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVqUiMmcJSU   And:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP0s8EApvsk  

The 750 NVME drives have been awaited for awhile now.  They've been popping up in manifests and reports for close to a year now, but only finally are they actually possibly coming out.  With a max capacity of I believe 1.2tb or 2tb based on some of the older articles if I remember.  They should be blistering fast given Asus and Asrock have already updated most of their x99 boards with NVME(NVMEHCI) support.  So long Sata / AHCI! :D

This:  http://www.intelgamingpromo.com/intel15b/ssd/notice   And then:  

And:  

The 750 NVME drives have been awaited for awhile now.  They've been popping up in manifests and reports for close to a year now, but only finally are they actually possibly coming out.  With a max capacity of I believe 1.2tb or 2tb based on some of the older articles if I remember.  They should be blistering fast given Asus and Asrock have already updated most of their x99 boards with NVME(NVMEHCI) support.  So long Sata / AHCI! :D

Ok.. thanks

Ill wait for price and compatabillity with a bit older hardware

Even though we can afford to buy a 256GB SSD, 10TB is out of equation xD

But the price per gig is lower, so we say up to 10TB, but in reality it can be even a 512gigs model with lower price

ygqMjv2x8KSxW.gif

When everything else Fails,Crowbar IT. - Half-life

Being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed." - Unix for Dummies, 2nd Edition (Found in the .sig of Rob Riggs) 

Ok.. thanks

Ill wait for price and compatabillity with a bit older hardware

But the price per gig is lower, so we say up to 10TB, but in reality it can be even a 512gigs model with lower price

I assume it's going to be $800 for 10TB. Not kidding. But that's a lot of storage regardless and gig per $ is awesome. If they release stages 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and 10 TB then it will be heaven <3

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

I assume it's going to be $800 for 10TB. Not kidding. But that's a lot of storage regardless and gig per $ is awesome. If they release stages 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and 10 TB then it will be heaven <3

U mad bro

No way, that would be 8cent/GB, too low for now. That's the price for a 10 TB hard drive

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

10TB SSD's? Yes please!

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Will probably cost more than my whole desktop. Cant wait until the day something like this is not only available, but somewhat cheap. I would love a 10TB laptop, or a 20TB one with raid 1. 10TB that's drop-proof AND mirrored? Fuck yea. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

So, is this one actually going to come to market even remotely soon?  I recall that sandisk(or someone) was supposed to be releasing 4tb SSDs last year, with 8tb early this year, with 16tb by the end of this year.  I feel like this is the same as all those articles and times companies have stated they are ready to release technology X with HDDs that will takes us from 3tb to 30tb!! or 100TB!!!!!!   And yet, those announcements are made every year for the last 10 years.  I am under no delusion that R&D takes time and money, but its hard to get the hype up when they make these insane "omg huge drives" announcements every other month, then nothing shows up for 5-10 years later. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for the future, but I hate when companies try to sell the future as if they are ready to ship products.

If we look at the current pricing, then we can assume that 10tb would likely be around $1500 - $4000 if it were Sata only based.  BUT--that's a -lot- of space, for a crap ton of reliability, and a -lot- of speed.  If they get the size going to compete with HDD's.  All that is needed is price.  All I need is a good 2 - 3tb Sata SSD or a 2tb NVME drive and a 1tb SSD for game storage.  *_*

A decent 128GB SSD is $100, I don't want to even think about how much a 10TB SSD will cost.
I'll stick to 1TB hard drives for $50 a pop thank you, maybe do Raid 0 or 5.

Oh my, I can hope that by 2020 I could have 10TB SSD with price of 1TB one now. Yeah...

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

thats gonna be expensive

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com