United States download speeds go up by 10Mbps in just a year (on average)

SpeedMar2015.jpg?zoom=2&resize=1024%2C22

Rejoice Americans, for your average speeds are entirely embarrassing in the grand scheme of things anymore. I still think you have a long way to go, hopefully recent rulings help push the tide of cheap, faster internet for all, but int he mean time this is a great direction to be headed in. 

Now...how about forcing mobile carriers to get with the program and stop being stingy with their data allowances. But one step at a time. 

The most recent average US download speed from Ookla Speedtest for March 2014, is 33.9Mbps (these numbers are Broadband only, no Mobile tests are included).  In April 2014, the average speed was just 23.9Mbps. This jump in speed moves the United States to 27th in average download speed out of 199 counties; globally the average download speed is 22.3Mbps.

The US, often considered behind in internet speed, is now pulling ahead of several major countries such as: United Kingdom 30.18Mbps, Germany 29.95Mbps, Spain 28.28Mbps, Russia 27.7Mbps and Ireland 27.29Mbps.  However, the US at 27th out of 199 countries is still well behind countries such as South Korea 84.31Mbps and Japan 60.49Mbps.

Much of the growth has come in new areas of the US. In October 2014, Washington was not even in the top 10 states for download speed, and now has the fastest average speed. Additionally, North Dakota and Utah joined Washington in the top 10 fastest states.

Top 5 cities with the fastest average speed in March 2015:

1. Kansas City, MO 96.66Mbps
  2. Austin, TX 74.65Mbps
  3. Huntington Beach, CA 58.2Mbps
  4. New York, NY 53.3Mbps
  5. North Hollywood, CA 53.04Mbps

The top 5 cities with the fastest average speed in October 2014 were:

1. Kansas City, MO 68.59Mbps
  2. Austin, TX 68.27Mbps
  3. Huntington Beach, CA 50.52Mbps
  4. Flushing, NY 49.83Mbps
  5. New York, NY 48.24Mbps

The top 5 major ISPs in the US in March 2015 are (note: Ookla did not include Google Fiber in this list):

1. Verizon FiOS 43.2Mbps
  2. Comcast 42.7Mbps
  3. Cox 41.75Mbps
  4. Time Warner Cable 40.35Mbps
  5. Charter Communications 39.7Mbps

The top 5 major ISPs in the US in 2014 were:

1. Google Fiber 230.69Mbps
  2. Verizon FIOS 42.27Mbps
  3. Cox 39.42Mbps
  4. Comcast 38.70Mbps
  5. Charter Communications 38.45Mbps

http://www.cordcuttersnews.com/average-united-states-download-speed-jumps-10mbps-in-just-one-year-to-33-9mbps/

Lol, I love Google fiber just being so far ahead of everyone else. sigh.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

im in the united states and im getting around 2 to 3mb for my download :/.

askdjfasdf

Sitting here with 60Mb/s down 12Mb/s up.... xD

So that will become 70Mb/s down 12+Mb/s up?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Here I am with 10Mbps waiting for hardline to download, at 37% and have another 5 hours to go.

Thanks alot bastard ISP's, I hope you get aids from that expensive hooker you know doubt will visit during your next "business seminar"

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Sitting here with 60Mb/s down 12Mb/s up.... xD

So that will become 70Mb/s down 12+Mb/s up?

No, it won't change your speed, the increase comes from calculating the average from last year to this year. It's a statistic.

For those of you wondering why Time Warner Cable just jumped on the 2015 list:

There finally getting runaround to upgrading to pure Switched Digital Video rather than analog tv channels. Thus more bandwidth has become available for other services (such as DOCSIS Internet).

Because of this, TWC standard package was 15/1, but after the upgrade everyone is being upgraded to 50/5.  Some areas (LA metropolitan), are also getting 300Mbps down over DOCSIS 3.0, which is actually quite impressive.

I believe FIOS has also been dropping their rates also. I think they dropped their rate by $10 since last year for their 50/50 plan.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I love how in Poor Eastern EU and Evil Russia you have 300 mbit connections available in mass, with a monthly fee of below or around 20 eur now. 

And 100 mbit connections are available for 10 years already for even less montly fee.

I love how in Poor Eastern EU and Evil Russia you have 300 mbit connections available in mass, with a monthly fee of below or around 20 eur.

Sad that former communist nations are now better at capitalism than the "home" of capitalism.

meanwhile in south america...

4235640162.png

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

My cost has gone up too, so not much rejoicing here.  I was paying $75ish/m for 100Mbit/s, now $110/m from the same provider for the same. 

Sad that former communist nations are now better at capitalism than the "home" of capitalism.

Communism isnt a bad idea. It just didnt work for our species.

It would work perfectly for some other sentient species in the universe... for example - someone who is cold blooded and doesnt need to eat many times, every single day, therefore they wouldnt have such evolutionary baggage as "greed".

But not for us. Capitalism isnt perfect for us either, but at least it works, while it does.

Communism isnt a bad idea. It just didnt work for our species.

It would work perfectly for some other sentient species in the universe... for example - someone who is cold blooded and doesnt need to eat many times, every single day, therefore they wouldnt have such evolutionary baggage as "greed".

But not for us. Capitalism isnt perfect for us either, but at least it works, while it does.

I think communism is simply limited by the fact that everyone can't be as rich as they want to be, although there's a good chance that still wouldn't be enough.

I just wish our government would stop preventing businesses from crashing, all businesses need to be able to fail.

I think communism is simply limited by the fact that everyone can't be as rich as they want to be, although there's a good chance that still wouldn't be enough.

I just wish our government would stop preventing businesses from crashing, all businesses need to be able to fail.

Totally. I think communism is a grand idea....on paper. Just as long as we are, at our core, pretty greedy and selfish, it just won't work very well. 

I wonder, if these tests are not accurate though. Most non-techies have no idea what speed internet they even have, and as long as they can "play netflix and youtube at the same time" they are happy. Unfortunately, these are also the market most of our companies sell to, since they will just mindlessly buy whatever the sales rep says they should on the phone. So, Many people who are paying exorbitant $$ on crappy internet may have never done a speed test.

I just got back from 2 weeks in Florida. I was staying in a lower-income area, where the internet was expensive but not very good. (that 15/4 internet would drop to 5/1 every evening because the node was shared). This is sad, since I was literally 4 miles from NASA, so it's not like I was in the boonies. But our greedy telecom organizations seem to not care that certain areas are under-developed technologically. 

I'd much rather see my friends get solid 25Mbps internet versus me have 500Mbps+ available to me in the city. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

What a surprise, the number 1 city both times happens to be the first city to get Google Fiber.

i7-5820k  |  MSI X99S SLI-Plus  |  4x4GB HyperX 2400 DDR4  |  Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2  |  Samsung 840 EVO 1TB x2  |  Corsair AX1200i  |  Corsair H100i  |  NZXT H440 Razer

YEAH...STRAYA.......:(

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

you bastards :)

and I'm just sitting here with 5Mb download (well, thats not that bad), but frikin 0.7Mb upload speed :/

I had same, till today, got 30/5. At least some upgrade.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Hey motherfuckers.

Still waiting for decent internet

4236283718.png

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I can't believe that infrastructure is that expensive (such shit) and that we can't have excellent internet connection speed in higher populated areas these days. I mean I'm from EU and here where I live nothing much has changed in past 10 years as far as internet tech.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Don't care, moving wherever google fiber is after school!

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress