Diamond Rings

WillFromGA

Do y'all believe in diamond rings for a marrage?

I believe there should be a ring or atleast something but not the "Oh, he went to Jareds" or what ever the fuck the placec is called. 

I absolutely hate the scenes in movies where the friends of the bride ask how big the "rock" is. Pisses me off.

I hate the "The man should pay two months salary for the ring" that the jewelry stores tell people. 

Just a rant, ignore me.

My Computer

Beef Cake

Intel i5 4690k @ 3.5GHz - EVGA 970 FTW - ASRock Z97 Extreme3 - Kingston HyperX Fury 8Gb 1866MHz - 120GB Samsung Evo - 1TB Toshiba Drive - 320GB Samsung Barracuda - Corsair 500M

Just a rant, ignore me.

Done :P

I think the ring is a token, if I get married I plan to buy the best one I can, a token of my dedication, and something she can look at and remember

I think its a nice sentiment 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The bride's friends don't understand the meaning of the ring, which should symbolize the bond between you two.

They can only see what is there and will be only be amazed by how it looks and how it is, not what it means.

So of course they will look how big the rock is.

The same is with things you're nostalgic over, you understand why it is so good, it's because you loved it and have great memories every time you look at it.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I think the ring is a token, if I get married I plan to buy the best one I can, a token of my dedication, and something she can look at and remember

Same

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

But why a ring? Why not a book, why not a tv, why not anything else in the world. 

My Computer

Beef Cake

Intel i5 4690k @ 3.5GHz - EVGA 970 FTW - ASRock Z97 Extreme3 - Kingston HyperX Fury 8Gb 1866MHz - 120GB Samsung Evo - 1TB Toshiba Drive - 320GB Samsung Barracuda - Corsair 500M

Have we not been able to learn from The Lord of the Rings that a ring is bad? /jk

100px-One_Ring_Render.png

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

@WillFromGA As long its not tin can or some shit its fine but not super expensive

But what's super expensive? 

There are enough diamonds in the world to give everyone a handful, what makes it expensive?

My Computer

Beef Cake

An expensive ring is a nice sentiment, and a sign of dedication.

With that said, I'd much rather marry a woman who had a modicum of sanity and realised what a monumental waste of money a pricey ring could be, and wouldn't get hung up on a more modest one. Besides, the money saved could go toward an awesome holiday together, or the actual wedding...

SNIP 

Because its traditional 

Why is a ferrari door more than a ford focus door? they are both made of metal.... etc

You are paying for design and craftsmanship 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

But why a ring? Why not a book, why not a tv, why not anything else in the world. 

The TV will be obsolete in 10 years, the ring will last forever.

Welcome to a world were people are obsessed with how they feel the world precieves them based on how much and of what stuff they own. ie lamborgenie, coach, Gucci, a big rock on your finger.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

An expensive ring is a nice sentiment, and a sign of dedication.

With that said, I'd much rather marry a woman who had a modicum of sanity and realised what a monumental waste of money a pricey ring could be, and wouldn't get hung up on a more modest one. Besides, the money saved could go toward an awesome holiday together, or the actual wedding...

Thank you. I heard this on the radio the other day "It was just a country radio station" that said that the average cost of an American wedding is $31,000. Yes, $31,000. Now how don't know how much of that is true but damn...

My Computer

Beef Cake

Because its traditional 

Why is a ferrari door more than a ford focus door? they are both made of metal.... etc

You are paying for design and craftsmanship 

Ill give you one reason that you may or may not like.

There are dumb asses in the world that would buy a ferrari.

The TV will be obsolete in 10 years, the ring will last forever.

But will it have any meaning in 10 years? For all we know, well be wiping our asses with diamonds (FIgure of speech, not saying we will actually do that but you get the idea.)

My Computer

Beef Cake

Well, neither my wife nor I have a ring. Early in our relationship we decided to not buy expensive gifts for eachother.

We don't need rings (or any other things for that matter) to show, that we like eachother.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

I must be a dumb ass, I would buy one

Ill give you one reason that you may or may not like.

But will it have any meaning in 10 years? For all we know, well be wiping our asses with diamonds (FIgure of speech, not saying we will actually do that but you get the idea.)

The rarity of diamonds has nothing to do with the personal value which is absolutely the biggest part of it. Actual monetary value means nothing.

Because a ring can be worn everywhere and seen by everyone. It's a sign that one is married but at the same time is the sign of a bond between two people. 

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Personally no, I think they are an obscene waste of money. I know people often make the expensive car or clothing argument but at least they actually have a function.

Thank you. I heard this on the radio the other day "It was just a country radio station" that said that the average cost of an American wedding is $31,000. Yes, $31,000. Now how don't know how much of that is true but damn...

Apparently the average UK wedding is in the 15-17K range so 31K US seems feasible. Absolutely ridiculous mind, but the numbers are similar. 

Exactly, a $10000 ring and a $21000 holiday would easily be better in most people's view, I think. Or a combination of things which add up to that amount or less.

Personally no, I think they are an obscene waste of money. I know people often make the expensive car or clothing argument but at least they actually have a function.

Apparently the average UK wedding is in the 15-17K range so 31K US seems feasible. Absolutely ridiculous mind, but the numbers are similar. 

My sister got married last summer. and there budget was 15k. which I think is fairly reasonable... but 31k? You could go put a down payment on a house with that. 

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

I was always under the impression the ring represented your financial clout (fyi I hate large stone inserts in general), personally not a fan of marriage anyway.... It's a piece of paper an expensive one, and even more expensive to get rid of it when the ship goes under.

Do not  as I  do, and  not  as I say. Instead do as you may..

HSS Revenir: CPU=i7 5960x @4.5GHz Heatsink=Corsair H100i MOBO=ROG Rampage 5 RAM=Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB @3000MHz SSD=Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB GPU=R9 295x2 PSU=Corsair AX1500i OS=Windows 7 Ultimate

No, don't see the point. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"