AMD Radeon R9 390X supposed price of over 700 US dollar [March 16th]

guiliphy

Hmmh, still nothing confirmed, though.

Anyway, when will CPU/GPU prices get down like significantly, they went sky-hi compared to what they were years before. Cause performance offerings are nothing special to how prices todays hardware is. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

They "magically" made the R9 290, 7950, 6950 etc. cheaper though.

Not that this is just a rant against AMD. Nvidia has arguably been the driving force in making GPUs much more expensive.

After maturing their fabrication processes for those chips. Now that the chip sizes are in the 600+mm sq. Range, expenses are going up. When AMD and Nvidia can play around with 16nm FF+, that will be a very significant process shrink. Being stuck on 28nm has caused both companies problems.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Exactly how many nVidia PhysX games are due out in 2015? I doubt it'd get close to double figures. You go on enjoying that tech that nobody actually implements.

Combined with all the older games I think there's more than 30 now.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

time 2 sell my stuff m8s

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

DirectX 12 is already shipped with Windows 10 Technical Preview. All we are waiting for now is the official launch of Windows 10 later this year which Microsoft has rumored will launch with a few DirectX 12 game titles. Which seems like a valid rumor to showcase DirectX 12 performance as a key selling point for the OS.

I mean until it's implemented widely. 

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Combined with all the older games I think there's more than 30 now.

Around 36 games according to Nvidia. Which really isn't a whole lot in a market with multiple thousands of games.

I mean until it's implemented widely. 

It shouldn't take too long for developers to adopt it given how drastic of a difference it makes. It also shouldn't take long for major publishers to add support to the back-end of their game engines. I imagine games like Battlefield 4 will get a DirectX 12 patch.

if the 390x is $700 and beats the 980 ill probably include it im by build later this year

If the price holds true and it's really quite a bit faster than the 980, then I find the pricing to be just fair and right. However if it just matches the performance of the 980, then it's expensive.

I don't see why so many are disappointed by the pricing. Did you really think you'll be getting a card that is (from the leaked benchmarks) like 20% faster than the 980 for like 150 or 200$ less? Be realistic, guys!

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Any predictions when NV/AMD could have 20nm?

I really hope it's last year, when we're stuck at 28nm.

After maturing their fabrication processes for those chips. Now that the chip sizes are in the 600+mm sq. Range, expenses are going up. When AMD and Nvidia can play around with 16nm FF+, that will be a very significant process shrink. Being stuck on 28nm has caused both companies problems.

The 28nm process is more mature than ever, pushing yields higher and costs lower (as low as they're going to go on this node). As for the die sizes, the GTX 780 Ti and GTX 780 already had a 561 mm2 die. Previous generations had chips in the same size range too.

Any predictions when NV/AMD could have 20nm?

I really hope it's last year, when we're stuck at 28nm.

I really gotta wonder, why do some people value what die size processors are on over if they are any good at all? (That's the feeling I'm getting at least)

I know NAND-flash and processors aren't directly comparable to each other, but Samsung actually decided to scale up their NAND in their 850 Pros and they are still (like most SSDs these days) bottlenecked by the SATA-3 interface

Around 36 games according to Nvidia. Which really isn't a whole lot in a market with multiple thousands of games.

It shouldn't take too long for developers to adopt it given how drastic of a difference it makes. It also shouldn't take long for major publishers to add support to the back-end of their game engines. I imagine games like Battlefield 4 will get a DirectX 12 patch.

We have only seen best case scenarios for DX12.

For the most games, we wont see the same kind of difference.

The price spectrum seems to be very well covered exept a $ 250 price point (...)

That's normally the range where last-gen-top-cards are positioned, so their new lineup doesn't have to compete with last-gen AND Nvidia.

I really gotta wonder, why do some people value what die size processors are on over if they are any good at all? (That's the feeling I'm getting at least)

I know NAND-flash and processors aren't directly comparable to each other, but Samsung actually decided to scale up their NAND in their 850 Pros and they are still (like most SSDs these days) bottlenecked by the SATA-3 interface

Because of number of transistors? 

Define "good".

If you mean reliability - computing unit is the last thing that will break in gpu.

This is going to be a great card, but I wonder what the state of the R9 295X2 will be in when the 390X comes out. I've heard that the 295X2 dropped to $650 US dollars. If the 295X2 is a card with that has 2 290X cards on one PCI-E 16x slot, the 295X2 and the 390X will perform roughly on the same level.

So we can expect the same £500ish that 290X launched at. 

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

Hopefully the MSRP isn't even close to the actual pricetag.

Because $150 for something at r7 265 level is a step backwards unless one really needs freesync. (vs. around $150 or lower for a R9 270)

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Already saving for that 390X .. Not scrimping this time. Going all our top tier card for 4K goodness, now I have a 4K 60hz capable TV

// Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 // AMD FX-8320 CPU @ 4.3 Ghz (7-21.5 Multiplier) 200.90mhz FSB CPU-Z Validated // Kraken X40 AIO - 2x140mm Push-Pull // 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP - 8GB Avexir Core Series Red 1760Mhz // Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro 1130mhz/4GB 1025mhz (Effective) GPU-Z Validation // Corsair SP2500 2.1 & Microlab Solo 9C Speakers // Corsair K90 Silver - Cherry MX Red & Blue LEDs // EVGA SuperNova 850w G2

Already saving for that 390X .. Not scrimping this time. Going all our top tier card for 4K goodness, now I have a 4K 60hz capable TV

If you want to go all out might be better to wait for the 1080ti/490x as those will have a big node jump. That's what i am planning and it's killing me on the inside every time i see sales on the 295x2.  I found someone selling an oem 5960x brand new for half it's price and it's killing me cause i am holding off until after zen comes out..........

Inb4 retarded power consumption over exaggeration comments.

Very few AMD oven comments so far, I expected a lot more:

aea3b3c95be16b3686917b3ulj.jpg

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

Very few AMD oven comments so far, I expected a lot more:

Mainly because only the reference card ran stupidly hot, put any other cooler on them Tri-X, DCU-II, Windforce, DD etc etc etc and they're equal to any other card of roughly the same TDP. I think there is 1-2c difference between the 290x on a Windforce to a 780ti on the same cooler. 

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

As long as the price fits the performance I don't care. AMDs track record at providing cards that are sensibly priced for their performance is much better than their competitors for the most part.

If you want to go all out might be better to wait for the 1080ti/490x as those will have a big node jump. That's what i am planning and it's killing me on the inside every time i see sales on the 295x2.  I found someone selling an oem 5960x brand new for half it's price and it's killing me cause i am holding off until after zen comes out..........

boy!!!  you're going to have some major waiting to do.  I bet it's killing you on the inside just thinking  of all that waiting and anticipation. 

I myself want to wait for skylake but it looks the K version will be released next year :(  I also want to wait for Pascal which will also be released next year.....damn!!  all this waiting is killing me. :(

Very few AMD oven comments so far

Because it's a shitty old joke that virtually everyone is sick of. It took Nvidia fanboys like a week to get pissy about 3.5GB jokes, that made perhaps the ones with sense realize they were being hyppocrites to still be beating that dead horse.

Which excludes you, I guess.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.