AMD Radeon R9 390X supposed price of over 700 US dollar [March 16th]

guiliphy

God damn it AMD.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Nvidia does it, It's about time AMD does it. (Im not talking about dual GPU cards) I mean, they probably need the money more than Nvidia does, not that i agree with  a $700 price tag for a graphics card. Personally I have never bought a top tier card, I usually get  like a 960 or 970 class card. For me the sweet spot is $350ish.

Perhaps used 390Xs will be a better price around $500, but i don't see used ones being on market for at least a few months.

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

Oh yes oh yes oh yes OH YES! Im so fucking excited for the first benchmarks :D Want my 2 380(X) now! D;

Ironically I own a GTX 970

$700 for a non-flagship though. That's retarded. It's ridiculous what the GPU market has come to.

$700 for a non-flagship though. That's retarded. It's ridiculous what the GPU market has come to.

Consider though, (at least according to other leaks) the 390x will be competing with the $1000+ Titan and the 380x will be competing with 980 at around $500. $500 is a big gap in price, a gap the 390 seems to be priced to take care of.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Consider though, (at least according to other leaks) the 390x will be competing with the $1000+ Titan and the 380x will be competing with 980 at around $500. $500 is a big gap in price, a gap the 390 seems to be priced to take care of.

That doesn't make it any more reasonable; it means the third single-GPU card in the lineup (like a 7870 or 6870) costs flagship money at around $500.

390 is still based on the flagship chip though, it's not like they can magically make it cheaper.

380X will be 400-500 dollars

FX-8120 | ASUS Crosshair V Formula | G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 | Club3D Radeon R9 290 RoyalAce |Thermaltake Chaser MkIII | 128GB M4 Crucial + 2TB HDD storage | Cooler Master 850M | Scythe Mugen 3 | Corsair Strafe RGB | Logitech G500

390 is still based on the flagship chip though, it's not like they can magically make it cheaper.

380X will be 400-500 dollars

They "magically" made the R9 290, 7950, 6950 etc. cheaper though.

Not that this is just a rant against AMD. Nvidia has arguably been the driving force in making GPUs much more expensive.

They "magically" made the R9 290, 7950, 6950 etc. cheaper though.

Not that this is just a rant against AMD. Nvidia has arguably been the driving force in making GPUs much more expensive.

What if it's 60% faster than the 290, it will all depend on price/performance.

FX-8120 | ASUS Crosshair V Formula | G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 | Club3D Radeon R9 290 RoyalAce |Thermaltake Chaser MkIII | 128GB M4 Crucial + 2TB HDD storage | Cooler Master 850M | Scythe Mugen 3 | Corsair Strafe RGB | Logitech G500

looks like I'll have to make a little modification to my signature then...

I'll gladly take your 290X for cheap then! :P

<------ This guy CALLED IT!!!

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

Anyone who thought otherwise with the leaked specs is an idiot

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

That doesn't make it any more reasonable; it means the third single-GPU card in the lineup (like a 7870 or 6870) costs flagship money at around $500.

The third is supposed to cost $400, which is what led me to make a post above questioning what the difference is between the 380/x and the 390/x besides more cores. It has to be a big enough difference to warrant a $300 price drop.

Besides that, it has hbm, a new architecture, and more cores. It has enough power to compete with cut-down gm200 and the 980 is still priced at $500 and above. AMD would be crazy to release it for less.

(This is all if the leaks and benchmarks are correct, but people won't stop saying that they are lol)

If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Lol wtf. If the price to performance is good then it shouldn't matter. They aren't 7870's or 6870's so I don't even know why you are comparing them to that.

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

Lol wtf. If the price to performance is good then it shouldn't matter. They aren't 7870's or 6870's so I don't even know why you are comparing them to that.

It's the 7870 or 6870 of 2015. It literally has the same spot in the product stack.

The third is supposed to cost $400, which is what led me to make a post above questioning what the difference is between the 380/x and the 390/x besides more cores. It has to be a big enough difference to warrant a $300 price drop.

Besides that, it has hbm, a new architecture, and more cores. It has enough power to compete with cut-down gm200 and the 980 is still priced at $500 and above. AMD would be crazy to release it for less.

(This is all if the leaks and benchmarks are correct, but people won't stop saying that they are lol)

The third is supposed to cost $500, not $400 - though of course it may turn out otherwise in practice. It's all just rumors so far.

AFAIK it does not have HBM. That is the big difference you're looking for between the 390 and the 380X. Sure it can compete with the 980 and is priced similarly, but the 980 is already severely overpriced.

What if it's 60% faster than the 290, it will all depend on price/performance.

The 290 is a 2013 card, new cards are supposed to offer much better price/performance than old stuff. Besides - if it's $500 to the R9 290's ~$250, then you're paying about a 100% premium for (in this hypothetical) a 60% performance boost. That's clearly a worse price/performance ratio.

The third is supposed to cost $500, not $400 - though of course it may turn out otherwise in practice. It's all just rumors so far.

AFAIK it does not have HBM. That is the big difference you're looking for between the 390 and the 380X. Sure it can compete with the 980 and is priced similarly, but the 980 is already severely overpriced.

The 380x? Its supposed to cost $400 US. It says that in both the quote and the article. And yes, they're all rumors, so you have to take them with a big grain of salt.

Sorry, I should have clarified that I was talking about the 390 in the second paragraph.

@Sakkura

note that with 2 970's you are likely to run into the 3.5gb+ ram problem

I have 2 970's and the 3.5gb problem isn't an issue, it stutters a tiny bit here and there, but it's nothing game breaking or anything that'd turn me away from owning them.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

So the 390 will be the winning card in price/performance against the titan x Probably.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I am guessing that they wont lower the price of the 295x2 any more since it will still be leading the GPU game for AMD.

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

Expensive and no PhysX equals a card I won't be buying.  

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

That's a crazy $300 gap in the lineup. But I guess if the 380X competes with the 980 then it's really no different than Nvidia's $450 gap. Although I must say that I think a lot of buyers will simply believe that the Titan X is more powerful than the 390X since it has a more special name. I know it doesn't make sense... but that's how marketing and simpletons work.

Turnip OC'd to 3Hz on air

Expensive and no PhysX equals a card I won't be buying.  

Exactly how many nVidia PhysX games are due out in 2015? I doubt it'd get close to double figures. You go on enjoying that tech that nobody actually implements.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I can guarantee it won't be until around mid next year, if that.

DirectX 12 is already shipped with Windows 10 Technical Preview. All we are waiting for now is the official launch of Windows 10 later this year which Microsoft has rumored will launch with a few DirectX 12 game titles. Which seems like a valid rumor to showcase DirectX 12 performance as a key selling point for the OS.