Samsung Galaxy Unpacked 2015 - MWC Galaxy S6/S6 Edge and Samsung Pay converage and discussion

Aniallation

Got to see and hold the S6 and S6 Edge in person today. Honestly the metal sides of the S6 Edge where the screen ends are just way too sharp. It looks cool, but it was very uncomfortable to hold, even compared to phones with squared-off edges like the iPhone 4-5S which I thought were already quite awkward and uncomfortable without a case. 

If I do get an S6 it'll definitely be the standard kind. The Edge just isn't worth the tradeoff for the extra cost and awkward grip.

Warning: Huge pics:

6Wf93aS.jpg

DRZ8qwG.jpg

Jsk7lyG.jpg

4wAskzl.jpg

Standard S6:

M6dW75y.jpg

Much nicer to hold then the Edge.

"Rawr XD"

Got to see and hold the S6 and S6 Edge in person today. Honestly the metal sides of the S6 Edge where the screen ends are just way too sharp. It looks cool, but it was very uncomfortable to hold, even compared to phones with squared-off edges like the iPhone 4-5S which I thought were already quite awkward and uncomfortable without a case. 

If I do get an S6 it'll definitely be the standard kind. The Edge just isn't worth the tradeoff for the extra cost and awkward grip.

Warning: Huge pics:

6Wf93aS.jpg

DRZ8qwG.jpg

Jsk7lyG.jpg

4wAskzl.jpg

Standard S6:

M6dW75y.jpg

Much nicer to hold then the Edge.

all images broke n

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Work here to.

Yeah, I can imagine how uncomfortable it is to hold it. The Note Edge, which I tried at some verizon store, (i think it was called) was just strange and weird to use and hold lol

Intel i5-6600k (Cooled by a 212 evo) - Asus Z170-A - Asus Dual OC GTX 1060 - NZXT S340 - WD 1TB (Getting SSD this month, hopefully) - 8GB DDR4-2400

LG G4 - Asus Zenwatch 2

• 4 months later...

samsung-pay-is-official-and-may-be-the-m

MasterCard and Samsung Electronics announced they are extending their global partnership leveraging the MasterCard Digital Enablement Service (MDES) to deliver Samsung Pay in Europe.  Samsung Pay is a mobile payment service that will enable consumers to use their Samsung flagship mobile devices to make every day in-store purchases at contactless and mag stripe terminals leveraging NFC and MST technologies. Samsung and MasterCard will together roll out Samsung Pay throughout Europe. Card issuers will be able to connect to the MDES platform and activate the Samsung Pay service upon launch. Cardholders from participating issuers can activate their credit, debit, reloadable prepaid and small business cards in the Samsung Pay service and use their mobile devices to make everyday purchases.

Earlier this year, MasterCard announced it would provide the tokenization services to Samsung Pay for its secure transactions, enabling a quick scaling connection to bank partners in the U.S. Samsung Pay is a global mobile payment solution that is the first mobile wallet to give consumers a way to shop and spend virtually anywhere – using contactless and magstripe card readers.

“Samsung Pay is pleased to join forces with MasterCard to offer a simple and safe mobile payment experience enabled for wider merchant acceptance to MasterCard cardholders and issuers in Europe,” said Injong Rhee, EVP of Samsung Electronics, Global Head of Samsung Pay. “Both organizations are committed to ground breaking fin-tech innovations that will deliver on the promise of a true mobile wallet.”

“With the continued global growth and reliance on connected mobile devices, we are delighted to expand our relationship with Samsung by extending the reach of Samsung Pay and MDES to cardholders in Europe.  Europeans have been leading the way in the adoption of new ways to shop, buy and make a payment. Through our strong partnership with Samsung we look forward to continuing to drive innovation in mobile commerce by creating simple and secure digital payment experiences for consumers,”  said Javier Perez, President of MasterCard Europe.

Samsung Pay is scheduled to launch in the U.S. and South Korea later this summer and Samsung is currently working with banks and partners to bring the payment service to Europe.

Since the announcement of MDES in 2013, millions of MasterCard accounts have been tokenized for use in popular digital wallet services. MDES currently provides tokenization services for credit, debit, co-brand, prepaid and small business cards. Private label tokenization, announced last month, will begin in the third quarter of this year. Tokenization services for app, eCommerce, and recurring billing card-on-file programs will be available to U.S. and Canadian merchants later this year and expand globally across all MDES-enabled markets.

SOURCE

I guess it's about time.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

hmmm not so fond of this, considering that samsungs system is still untested, if they directly go global it could become quite the catastrophey if it would go wrong.

I'm wondering how smasung is handling all the bank account data, if they handle it like apple it might be fine, but since nothing is mentoined about that in the OP or source it doesn't really help them getting my trust.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

hmmm not so fond of this, considering that samsungs system is still untested, if they directly go global it could become quite the catastrophey if it would go wrong.

I'm wondering how smasung is handling all the bank account data, if they handle it like apple it might be fine, but since nothing is mentoined about that in the OP or source it doesn't really help them getting my trust.

Samsung isn't as small as most people think they are. Samsung Electronics is just a small part of the Samsung group.They've been doing fiancial stuff like banks longs before Apple.

Samsung isn't as small as most people think they are. Samsung Electronics is just a small part of the Samsung group.They've been doing fiancial stuff like banks longs before Apple.

I know(hell they even got weapon department) but knowing Samsung mobile I don't have high hopes, I mean their fingerprint scanner can be used by all devs that want, without any real warning/pop-up as notification and they used  a keyboard layover with a known flaw(not sure if fixed) for a very long time.

Samsung might be big and all, but their diffrent sections don't really cooperate/share stuff when it can come in handy like, if their electronics department asked about the fingerprint scanner at their security department(like their S-1 corporation branch which appears to be the best) it would be just as closed as apple's way of using it or left out completely.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

• 1 month later...

Source: http://fortune.com/2015/09/30/samsung-pay-review/

I think that Samsung could've done a better job with the name, I would have made it S-Pay. And I have no problem with android pay. Tell me what you think

"Samsung’s mobile payment service is accepted almost everywhere and, unlike Apple Pay, works with older retail terminals."

post-266064-0-87069400-1443664975.jpeg

Am I the only one that hasnt actually even used any of these new payment methods yet?

I feel like just giving them my debit card or actual cash is just simpler...

But anyway, good for Samsung, good to see this stuff is becoming mainstream more and more. And its good to see that theyre making top quality software for this stuff, it will only drive others to make better support for this tech in the future :)

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Have used all three, Samsung pay is indeed miles better.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Except it isn't encrypted.

Just like the old magnetic strip.

And it doesn't have a required PIN to use.

Samsung has announced that way back when s6 was launched and was available in Taiwan since then..But if you modify the title and data a little it will be news.. it launches in US..

well i can use my rbc app and pay at any nfc terminal. problem is when there is no tap pay, i have to take out my card regardless of what service im using

fun fact today i got a free booster juice because their system wasn't accepting my card, and they had already started making it so they were like "fuck it".

and apparently they dont have tap pay either

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

I guess its good for the time it takes for NFC to be more widespread, but it does not have any benifits over Apple or Android pay in NFC. Apple and Android pay have more support where I live (may be different in Asia). The part at the end where the writer wishes Apple would imitate it is laughable. Magnetic based payment isn't as secure and needs to die anyways.

Neither google or samsung pay seem to like my rooted phone. Any work arounds? Note 4.

when you say older terminals, aren't all credit terminals being updated due to the new chip system being mandated?

when you say older terminals, aren't all credit terminals being updated due to the new chip system being mandated?

Not necessary most of them had chip reading inbuilt.. because Europeans have it for a long time and NFC readers are costly as of now

Actually it isn't better if you have to have a Samsung phone to use it. Just like apple pay is DOA because it only works on Apple phones. Only a cross brand/platform mobile pay system can be the best. 

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

The only place I have seen any of these options for is my local hipster grocery store. Not regretting having no NFC on my OPT yet...  Also don't judge me for going to a hipster grocery store, they have cheap sushi on Wednesdays, and they have the freshest coffee beans probably in the whole city.

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

Fuck Verizon for not putting Samsung Pay on their phones...

My level of anger right now...

Seriously it's always Verizon or ATT that removes stuff on your phone that can make you mad.....not Sprint or T-Mobile.

Neither google or samsung pay seem to like my rooted phone. Any work arounds? Note 4.

If you got Verizon then your SOL....

Maybe I'm old school, but I don't trust putting all my cards in one place, especially all in my phone.  I probably won't use it unless it becomes standard/mandatory.

Fuck Verizon for not putting Samsung Pay on their phones...

My level of anger right now...

Seriously it's always Verizon or ATT that removes stuff on your phone that can make you mad.....not Sprint or T-Mobile.

That's so dumb. Verizon probably has about 25%, if not more of the subscriber base. So 25% of the US population that owns a S6 or similar device won't be able to use Samsung Pay which is actually quite a significant amount of people. 

Someone with amazing photoshop skills please make a graphic where they use the verizon logo to check off "prevents users from using Samsung Pay" check. 

That's so dumb. Verizon probably has about 25%, if not more of the subscriber base. So 25% of the US population that owns a S6 or similar device won't be able to use Samsung Pay which is actually quite a significant amount of people. 

Someone with amazing photoshop skills please make a graphic where they use the verizon logo to check off "prevents users from using Samsung Pay" check. 

The app support just ticks me off, it doesn't really affect me that much.  

I enjoy my 12GB of data for 40 bucks a month..........