Samsung Galaxy Unpacked 2015 - MWC Galaxy S6/S6 Edge and Samsung Pay converage and discussion

Aniallation

Aluminium is fine if you don't drop your phone or have a good case for it.

It looks great and HTC has proven it can be incorporated well into a phone.

That you don't like it doesn't mean it's bad.

Yeah what a great material! It's good if you put another material over it to completely cover it... I don't even think it look any better than a lot of other materials, but then again that's just looks (which I don't care that much about in general) and that's subjective.

Aluminum being a bad material for phones is not just an opinion though, it's a fact. It has a ton of drawbacks compared to some plastics.

More expensive to work with (although the raw material itself might be cheaper)

More brittle

Scratches are more noticeable (both in terms of looks and feeling)

It blocks radio waves so the antenna design either becomes worse or more complex

With a unibody design you can't have things like a removable back.

Worse strength to weight ration than some plastics (like carbon fiber and Zylon)

Wireless charging won't work (unless you make a very big window for it)

I am not trying to say it's bad because I don't like it. I am saying I don't like it because it is bad.

Also just saying the most stupid thing they did with the s6 imo was QHD with a 2500 MaH battery.

Efficient CPU or no, that's not enough battery

I think we should wait and see for that. The LTE-A version of the Galaxy S 5 has already proven that the move from Adreno 330 to Adreno 420 was enough to make up for the higher power consumption of 1440p.

We don't know how efficient the new panel is, how efficient the Mali-T760 is, how the new CPU architecture will compare against Krait or how big of an impact going from 28nm to 14nm has. The S6 might get a lot better battery life than the S5 despite the smaller battery. mAh don't tell the whole story either, and we don't know the Wh yet.

So....phones are now taking higher quality images than my 10MP camera. F*** I need to do another round of upgrades.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Yeah what a great material! It's good if you put another material over it to completely cover it... I don't even think it look any better than a lot of other materials, but then again that's just looks (which I don't care that much about in general) and that's subjective.

Aluminum being a bad material for phones is not just an opinion though, it's a fact. It has a ton of drawbacks compared to some plastics.

More expensive to work with (although the raw material itself might be cheaper)

More brittle

Scratches are more noticeable (both in terms of looks and feeling)

It blocks radio waves so the antenna design either becomes worse or more complex

With a unibody design you can't have things like a removable back.

Worse strength to weight ration than some plastics (like carbon fiber and Zylon)

Wireless charging won't work (unless you make a very big window for it)

I am not trying to say it's bad because I don't like it. I am saying I don't like it because it

Well, I dropped my m7 many times, still was a beautiful phone and it still works.

Again, it looks great, and antenna's are incorporated into the One line without issue.

Sure, if you're a klutz then maybe it's not for you (I wasn't but I still let It fall from time to time of course)

I would still take it over the Samsung plastic any day because I like a product I buy to also have some style and not just be pure functionality (which HTC has not even compromised on at all in their phones by using aluminium)

When you buy a pc you also want it to look nice, a sleek case, maybe windowed etc. Why not a phone?

Plus it has better heat dissipation to help prevent possible throttling to a small degree

And why do I 9 out of 10 times disagree with you on things.... It isn't normal I am telling you, unnatural even.

Aluminium is fine if you don't drop your phone or have a good case for it.

What's the point of having an aluminium phone if you're gonna use a case anyway?

I never understood the people complaining about the looks of the first Galaxy S phones: everybody uses a case.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

What's the point of having an aluminium phone if you're gonna use a case anyway?I never understood the people complaining about the looks of the first Galaxy S phones: everybody uses a case.

I don't use a case and never have, never will.

On any of my phones.

Currently using a OnePlusOne and no case.

My m7 was still amazing looking with some small dents here or there.

Cases I do not like, ruins the looks of a phone. (and no, not to show off, I like it to look nice for myself)

When you buy a pc you also want it to look nice, a sleek case, maybe windowed etc. Why not a phone?

Because you never drop your PC.

Unless your a klutz.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Irrelevant, I still want any device to have some nice looks.

So all in all I think Samsung improved in making it look nice.

But they sacrificed the few selling points that made the Samsung line worth buying.

They should have done just the first part and not sacrificing obviously.

Then it would be a great phone.

Sure, but I'd prefer a phone with 'meh' looks and surviving most drops than a phone which looks beautiful but shatters on the first drop.

Sure, but I'd prefer a phone with 'meh' looks and surviving most drops than a phone which looks beautiful but shatters on the first drop.

Yeah but dude.... Aluminium doesn't shatter... Gets a dent at most and then you can be on your merry way.

Glass is what you mean.

Also surviving drops is about much more than just material used. The shape of the phone, (curved vs brick shape ), luck based mostly

seriously , when metal phones such as iphone fall and break because they are brittle , they don't bat an eye, but when Samsung plastic covers goes off the phone when it falls and avoids any breakage, they all say it's a cheap plastic phone , i really don't get peoples mentality , sure when S6 falls it's gonna bend n crak due to metal and people are gonna complain it breaks , the internet .ppfft 

iPhones aren't brittle. 

iPhones aren't brittle. 

yeah , i couldn't find a better word , what i meant was , it's tightly built and i have seen Cnet's drop test where they crack around edged because there's nothing to break the momentum since it's all a single piece of hardware without a removable cover 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I don't understand why people go crazy because the iPhone 6/6 Plus has a tiny camera lip and then Samsung release the S6 and S6 edge with a much larger lipped camera and nobody cares. Very unfair on Apple and it just shows how products are instantly judged based upon their brand and not by their actually form and function 

yeah , i couldn't find a better word , what i meant was , it's tightly built and i have seen Cnet's drop test where they crack around edged because there's nothing to break the momentum since it's all a single piece of hardware without a removable cover 

Fair enough, I can't imagine how badly the S6 would crack with the aluminium frame and two glass faces when dropped

Removable cover doesn't help your screen though. Luck based.

Also if it falls on the edge or the corner... How does a removable cover help? You mean if it falls on the back probably.

Yeah but dude.... Aluminium doesn't shatter... Gets a dent at most and then you can be on your merry way.

Glass is what you mean.

We were talking about the S6, right? So it will shatter on the first drop. That was what I was reffering about.

The combination of an aluminium unibody with glass on both sides makes it worse: plastic absorbs some of the shock while aluminium and other metals just transfer the energy without absorbing it.

Anyway, I expect Samsung to sell more S6's than S5's. Most people don't care about SD cards or removable batteries. I do ... but I'm in the minority.

I'm curious if the Note 5 will feature an SD card and removable battery. They always have targeted their Note line to a more geekier audience so it'll be interesting to see what they'll do.

I don't understand why people go crazy because the iPhone 6/6 Plus has a tiny camera lip and then Samsung release the S6 and S6 edge with a much larger lipped camera and nobody cares. Very unfair on Apple and it just shows how products are instantly judged based upon their brand and not by their actually form and function 

Probably because Samsung has never been known for build quality to begin with.

Removable cover doesn't help your screen though. Luck based.

Also if it falls on the edge or the corner... How does a removable cover help? You mean if it falls on the back probably.

just see both Cnet's drop test of Iphone5 and s4 or s3, and no ,i am not talking about the screen, the phone just cracks and bends if it's all metal any day of the week over plastic, that's not a myth 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

We were talking about the S6, right? So it will shatter on the first drop. That was what I was reffering about.The combination of an aluminium unibody with glass on both sides makes it worse: plastic absorbs some of the shock while aluminium and other metals just transfer the nergy without absorbing it.Anyway, I expect Samsung to sell more S6's than S5's. Most people don't care about SD cards or removable batteries. I do ... but I'm in the minority.I'm curious if the Note 5 will feature an SD card and removable battery. They always have targeted their Note line to a more geekier audience so it'll be interesting to see what they'll do.

Well I was talking more about the HTC one line.

Anyway, HTC one only has the screen in glass and that's it.

Also in a world with cloud storage and 64gb phones and power banks.... Who needs those things honestly....

I hated them up to the Note 3 (which is ironically my current daily). After the S5 they dramatically improved TouchWiz

I have a Note 3 that I hate. 

Gonna be making the switch to HTC in the fall

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

just see both Cnet's drop test of Iphone5 and s4 or s3, and no ,i am not talking about the screen, the phone just cracks and bends if it's all metal any day of the week over plastic, that's not a myth

Nope. Not crack, that is glass. Metal dents. Bending depends on the thickness.

Also in a world with cloud storage and 64gb phones and power banks.... Who needs those things honestly....

I don't get data reception in the subway, which meens cloud storage is useless. I need to store my music and video files locally if I want to listen/watch them in the subway.

And a battery pack is a bit cumbersome, I don't like them.

Anyway, just gonna drop this here: discussion on material choices in mobile http://www.anandtech.com/show/7984/discussion-on-material-choices-in-mobile

Well I was talking more about the HTC one line.

Anyway, HTC one only has the screen in glass and that's it.

haha, had me there, cloud storage, lol i probably will never see that happening in India, not ever country is as developed as you guyz are. no one in India is buying any phones without sd card any time soon, and i shouldn't be worried about a battery bank if i am buying a premium phone, just not worth it 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

haha, had me there, cloud storage, lol i probably will never see that happening in India, not ever country is as developed as you guyz are. no one in India is buying any phones without sd card any time soon, and i shouldn't be worried about a battery bank if i am buying a premium phone, just not worth it

Well if you shouldn't be worried about a battery pack then why should you be worried about an extra battery with a premium phone? :D

Ahhhh have you there.