Samsung Galaxy Unpacked 2015 - MWC Galaxy S6/S6 Edge and Samsung Pay converage and discussion

Aniallation

I don't get data reception in the subway, which meens cloud storage is useless. I need to store my music and video files locally if I want to listen/watch them in the subway.

And a battery pack is a bit cumbersome, I don't like them.

Anyway, just gonna drop this here: discussion on material choices in mobile http://www.anandtech.com/show/7984/discussion-on-material-choices-in-mobile

So everything has it's drawbacks, it's not just black and white like you and @LAwLz describe.

Outside of radio reception, aluminum alloys’ lower limit of elastic deformation means that while the casing is better at protecting internal components, it's more likely to receive cosmetic damage. On the other hand, polycarbonate is more likely to come out of a drop without dents or gouges.

@LAwLz so aluminium has the better protection after all. :P only dents faster than plastic

Well if you shouldn't be worried about a battery pack then why should you be worried about an extra battery with a premium phone? :D

Ahhhh have you there.

i want a removable backcover not because of the battery, but i should be able to have the option to get an 3rd party batteries, and shock absorption on fall 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

So everything has it's drawbacks, it's not just black and white like you and @LAwLz describe.

You give the impression that you are impartial and you are not picturing it "just black and white", which is funny.

Anyway, it comes down to preference: I prefer an ugly phone with a SD card, a removable battery, is waterproof and is easy to repair instead of a beautiful phone who lacks all those things.

You can argue all you want that "SD cards and removable batteries are uselezzzzz" but IMHO, It's always better to have a feature than to not have a feature.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

i want a removable backcover not because of the battery, but i should be able to have the option to get an 3rd party batteries, and shock absorption on fall

Why 3rd party battery with a premium phone and not a power bank? :D

The shock absorption is valid though

You give the impression that you are impartial and you are not picturing it "just black and white", which is funny.

Anyway, it comes down to preference: I prefer an ugly phone with a SD card, a removable battery, is waterproof and is easy to repair instead of a beautiful phone who lacks all those things.

You can argue all you want that "SD cards and removable batteries are uselezzzzz" but IMHO, It's always better to have a feature than to not have a feature.

I was, but you also gave the same impression when you linked me this non-biased link. Which makes it even funnier.

So we're even here.

Outside of radio reception, aluminum alloys’ lower limit of elastic deformation means that while the casing is better at protecting internal components, it's more likely to receive cosmetic damage. On the other hand, polycarbonate is more likely to come out of a drop without dents or gouges.

@LAwLz so aluminium has the better protection after all. :P only dents faster than plastic

You can't just pick the "In short, aluminum is actually more durable, not less" part of the article and ignore all the rest. Because the metal is more rigid, it will transfer more energy to the glass on the front, which means it's easier to have a shattered screen.

That's why it is possible to have a shattered screen, even if your phone falls on the back or on the sides.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

You can't just pick the "In short, aluminum is actually more durable, not less" part of the article and ignore all the rest. Because the metal is more rigid, it will transfer more energy to the glass on the front, which means it's easier to have a shattered screen.

That's why it is possible to have a shattered screen, even if your phone falls on the back or on the sides.

It's the first thing I read when I skimmed through. So relax.

Why 3rd party battery with a premium phone and not a power bank? :D

The shock absorption is valid though

as i said , i will probably never want it , but if i am gonna have a removable battery, i might as well as have the option for it. just one of those things, i was so desperate to buy a phone which had a infra red back 7 years ago, because ever phone had it for file transfer, by that time bluetooth was famous, but i wanted my phone to have it nonetheless , bought w800i back then, same like that , it's nice to have options 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

okey while browsing across the glorious internet i encounterd 9gag and found pic below, anyone knows if this shit is really true?

i mean man, this is sad if it is......

(not wanting to start a flame war, just wondering)

post-54592-0-72933700-1425329781_thumb.j

post-54592-0-72933700-1425329781_thumb.j

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

samsung , we need an ssd card because of this, we don't need your overprices price of shit ie. higher internal storage with higher price 

11036310_10153484345936487_2020768118355 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/319845-sandisk-squeezes-200gb-into-a-tiny-microsd-card-type-c-thumbdrive/

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

okey while browsing across the glorious internet i encounterd 9gag and found pic below, anyone knows if this shit is really true?

i mean man, this is sad if it is......

(not wanting to start a flame war, just wondering)

attachicon.gifaGwZ7N5_700b.jpg

Samsung is just unapologetic of aping the design language. Its not new for them. 

samsung , we need an ssd card because of this, we don't need your overprices price of shit ie. higher internal storage with higher price 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/319845-sandisk-squeezes-200gb-into-a-tiny-microsd-card-type-c-thumbdrive/

Samsung wants those lovely, lovely profits. 

Also in a world with cloud storage and 64gb phones and power banks.... Who needs those things honestly....

I was going to just ignore your comments because most of them seem to be "I think it looks nice so therefore I don't care about the functional drawbacks" but I just have to say that this is such a shitty argument.

Could storage has a huge amount of drawbacks over local storage, including but not limited to:

1) Much slower.

2) Not available 100% of the time.

3) Uses far more battery.

4) Uses up your data plan.

I don't want a removable battery because I want to change it in the middle of the day when I run out of power. I want a removable battery so that I can replace it if it breaks or when it gets worn out.

Yes everything has benefits and drawbacks. The benefits of aluminum is:

1) Protects the internals better (although the motherboard and things like that are not the first things to break if you drop your phone)

2) Dissipates more heat (helps prevent overheating but also makes the phone a lot colder to hold, which is quite bad in for example Sweden because your phone will be uncomfortably cold to hold during the winter).

And here are the drawbacks:

1) More expensive to work with (although the raw material itself might be cheaper)

2) More brittle

3) Scratches are more noticeable (both in terms of looks and feeling)

4) It blocks radio waves so the antenna design either becomes worse or more complex

5) With a unibody design you can't have things like a removable back.

6) Worse strength to weight ration than some plastics (like carbon fiber and Zylon)

7) Wireless charging won't work (unless you make a very big window for it)

The world is not black and white, but aluminum is a very very dark shit brown color for portable devices.

I was going to just ignore your comments because most of them seem to be "I think it looks nice so therefore I don't care about the functional drawbacks" but I just have to say that this is such a shitty argument.

Could storage has a huge amount of drawbacks over local storage, including but not limited to:

1) Much slower.

I don't want a removable battery because I want to change it in the middle of the day when I run out of power. I want a removable battery so that I can replace it if it breaks or when it gets worn out.

Sigh, whatever you want.

You keep your opinions and I keep mine.

1) Much slower.

Yes everything has benefits and drawbacks. The benefits of aluminum is:

1) Protects the internals better (although the motherboard and things like that are not the first things to break if you drop your phone)

2) Dissipates more heat (helps prevent overheating but also makes the phone a lot colder to hold, which is quite bad in for example Sweden because your phone will be uncomfortably cold to hold during the winter).

And here are the drawbacks:

1) More expensive to work with (although the raw material itself might be cheaper)

2) More brittle

3) Scratches are more noticeable (both in terms of looks and feeling)

4) It blocks radio waves so the antenna design either becomes worse or more complex

5) With a unibody design you can't have things like a removable back.

6) Worse strength to weight ration than some plastics (like carbon fiber and Zylon)

7) Wireless charging won't work (unless you make a very big window for it)

The world is not black and white, but aluminum is a very very dark shit brown color for portable devices.

Yes, but these drawbacks will not change my opinions of it being a nice feeling and great looking material.

It does not sacrifice any necesarry functionality (removeable battery is not necessary but is useful) and it adds a great look to it. 

These days it is possible to have form AND function in 1 device, without limiting each other to any significant level.

Therefore I will will stick with aluminium, some of your drawbacks are not noticed by users, more expensive to work with? Plastic galaxy phones are just as expensive for the consumer as the One phones so it is not detrimental to me, antenna design becomes more complex? Sure, but those lines on the back don't bother me a bit.

It's just a matter of taste. And if I have the money to throw around for another one should a HTC One fail me in the future when it is out of warranty then so be it. I knew what it brought to the table.

Also I know we are in an argument and that this may sound pussy-like but: can you be a bit less vicious in your posts? (not as in insulting because you don't do that, but in terms of.....ferocity? can't really find the word for it)

Also I know we are in an argument and that this may sound pussy-like but: can you be a bit less vicious in your posts? (not as in insulting because you don't do that, but in terms of.....ferocity? can't really find the word for it)

I think I know what you mean and I'll try to keep that in mind.

Anyway if you disregard subjective things like looks then I think it is pretty obvious that plastic is the far superior material (I am talking about plastic in general by the way, not necessarily the plastic Samsung has used in their previous gen flagships). If you are willing the sacrifice some functionality for what you think are better looks and feel then that's your choice. Personally I am not okay with that, but that's just my opinion.

I won't be buying the M9 or S 6 because I think they are both two big disappointments even though I had my expectations set very low.

Maybe Sony or LG will release a phone that I'll like... Or maybe the people with the same preferences as me is a very small minority and it's not profitable enough to cater to us.

I think I know what you mean and I'll try to keep that in mind.

Anyway if you disregard subjective things like looks then I think it is pretty obvious that plastic is the far superior material (I am talking about plastic in general by the way, not necessarily the plastic Samsung has used in their previous gen flagships). If you are willing the sacrifice some functionality for what you think are better looks and feel then that's your choice. Personally I am not okay with that, but that's just my opinion.

I won't be buying the M9 or S 6 because I think they are both two big disappointments even though I had my expectations set very low.

Maybe Sony or LG will release a phone that I'll like... Or maybe the people with the same preferences as me is a very small minority and it's not profitable enough to cater to us.

I am quite okay with plastics that the Motorola phones use actually, like the G, they do not feel cheap at least.

Anyway, I can't disregard looks, and I know the temperature changes....loved a cold phone in the morning. :P

Other way around, sugar.

Yes because having a useless black bar at the bottom of your phone and then excusing it for "couldn't fit the speakers then" is excellent engineering /s

Yes because having a useless black bar at the bottom of your phone and then excusing it for "couldn't fit the speakers then" is excellent engineering /s

It's for internal components you genius.

Well if you shouldn't be worried about a battery pack then why should you be worried about an extra battery with a premium phone? :D

Ahhhh have you there.

Having a spare battery is smaller and lighter then having a battery bank + MicroUSB cable, and chances are you won't need more then 2x full charges anyways. I can carry a spare battery for my Note 3 in my pocket and often forget that it's there. Can't say the same about a battery pack.

"Rawr XD"

There's a reason why the Moto 360 has a black bar at the bottom.

"Rawr XD"

Yes, because Motorola's engineers aren't as good as LG's.

thats why nobody has said the Moto 360 was the pinnacle of engineering excellence.

Isn't that what I just said? Genius? Unless someone would like to update me that speaker drivers no longer qualify as internal components. 

IMO it just feels nicer to hold. Plenty of plastic phones squeak and twist when you squeeze them, you don't see that with aluminium unibody phones like the HTC One. When you drop an HTC One on the corner it's pretty much impossible to crack the front glass cause there's a huge border between the glass and the edge of the phone compared to most plastic phones with the full front covered in glass, but lbr if you replaced the metal on the HTC One with plastic (many of the newer Desires) and dropped it it would fare just as well

"Rawr XD"

lol yeah, I do wish they kept the removable back not just for battery reasons but also repairability. I haven't looked at the S5, but on the S4 pretty much everything was easy to replace if it broke. Aside from the screen, but then again how many flagship smartphones of this era don't have the LCD fused to the glass? :P

The none replaceable back does really seem really daft, i can't see how that is useful in anyway :P 

Hi!  Please quote me in replies otherwise I may not see your response!