Scrapyard Wars Episode 1c

haha voted for linus!! just because i thought he can get away with cheating at something.lol

that 290 by luke could've been a game winner, though!!!

of course luke had to lose or he would had to look for a new job

Hey LTT I noticed you guys have a bit of a cardboard build up, not sure if you've got a system for that, but i live out in Abbotsford I use tons of scrap cardboard to make myself crossbow targets I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands if you're having trouble getting rid of it all

Hey guys,

could I please get the settings and resolution used for the 3DMark?

I would love to try it on my current PC and my new one that Im by coincidence expecting tomorrow.

Thank you for your time.

Luke would've taken it if he had overclocked his CPU. I don't know why he didn't. The e8400 overclocks really well and that 290 was seriously bottlenecked. 

Hey,

epic video! It was really entertaining, even if Luke got wrecked.

Not that I'm against Linus, but man, I was sure that Lukes System was the better one...

Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3070Ti, Acer Predator x34

InWin 901

Thought this was brilliant and brought me back to the early days of PC building, where the reason I fell in love with PC DIY was the building and experimenting and coming up with great configurations on my limited teenage budget!

Well done to the entire LMG crew for pulling this one off, exactly why I subscribe and contribute.

Awesome series LMG. Every minute put into the series was worth it for the viewers, we all REALLY enjoyed this one!

Black/Red Beast: CPU: i7 4790k Cooling: Hyper 212 Evo MB: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 GPU: MSI GTX 980 RAM: 16GB 1866 HyperFury X SSD: 256GB Samsung Evo 840

fantastic series fellas! that was great content. totally forgot how big ide cables were. 

Very cool series, i already cant wait for the next.

It's nice to see that "old" hardware is still more than capable of anything we can throw at it. For around 300$ this is a no brainer compared to something new, provided you can find the components, but as far as my 2nd hand shopping experiences, you can get anything if you're patient enough.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo:MSI Z87-G43 RAM:Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 1866MHz SSD:Samsung 840 120GB GPU:Gigabyte GTX770 2GB PSU:EVGA NEX650G Case:Fractal Design Define R4 Cooler:Corsair H80i 

Love the scrapyard wars idea and the new TV style format, it's a really terrific idea and I hope you guys do much more of it in the future.

Quick bit of critical feedback: I found it hard to follow along week by week without forgetting almost everything that happened in the previous week's episode. Personally, my viewing experience would be improved if there were better "previously on series XYZ" segments as well as callbacks to previous episodes (both visually and through narration). When this is done right on commercial TV, the whole previous episode from the week before comes flooding back. In this case, I found it a little hard to follow along. For example, when Linus started this episode by ghetto mounting a fan on the aftermarket cooler, I had no idea of the context of what was going on. I had completely forgotten that Linus had a slightly dodgy aftermarket cooler with no included fan and was like "wtf is going on, what is he doing?" - I had to go back and flick through 1b to get the right context. This would have been a perfect opportunity to do a flashback to where Linus had the parts he bought on the back of his car and was talking about the cooler.

Also you guys need to strike the right balance between authenticity (recording what people actually say), and saying the right canned lines/descriptions/commentaries for the audience's sake.

Again though, I love this direction you guys are going in, it's awesome and I can't wait to see more. Just please avoid falling in to the trap of having more than one or two episodic series going at once again  :P .

That was an awesome video series guys. Probably my favorite. I thought for sure that r9290 would take the game.
I like the whole "Linus vs Luke" thing. Challenges are always entertaining (Still waiting on the Nick vs Nick thing). My only suggestion would be to add more puns.
Edit: Also, having a final build list for each system in the final episode somewhere would have been nice.

Gaming PCs:
Intel i7 4790k, EVGA GTX 980ti, NZXT H440
Intel i5 7600k, Asus GTX 970 DC Mini, Silverstone SG13B
HTPC: AMD Phenom II X6 1045t, EVGA GTX 770 FTW, Fractal Node 604

nvm

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

great series, although that corsair ad which appeared out of nowhere near the end kind of ruined it for me.  Please don't have ads interrupt like that. 

Please scrap that "1abc" naming scheme because all kidding aside, it does sound silly.  I know you are planning to do more episodes, but I think it's better to just use "parts 1,2,3....."

You can have the challenge be the title of each episode, so for example this one will be "Scrapyard Wars: The $300 Challenge Part 1" etc...

Also, the beginning of each episode, besides the first one, should begin with a quick 1 min or so recap of what has happened so far.  It makes it easier for viewers to catch up considering this is a weekly series.

Really good series, you really hit the mark with the concept. Very entertaining with an epic conclusion + valuable lesson.

Can't wait for all the new stuff you guys will be bringing the coming year(s).

Remarks:

- if you are spreading out the episodes a week apart (which I don't really mind, as long as they come consistenly, like these did), a short recap would be nice :-) Makes it better to follow along without having to scrub trough the last episodes again before watching the new one.

- The ad integration could be better. A little less sudden and with a warning would be appreciated.

- the parts-numbering: episode 1 part 1 sounds better to me...

Keep it up guys, great work!

lol what did we all say about cpu.... people must feel bad for thinking cpu plays no part in tomb raider

I really wanna see Scrapyard wars with brand restrictions. For example, if you're going with AMD CPU you have to get AMD/Radeon GPU as well. Or maybe all the components need to be from a specified set of vendors.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Didn't watch it yet. The hype is real! *clicks play*

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Great series !

I7 4770K - @4.5Ghz  |  Be quiet Dark Rock Pro 3  | Asus Maximus VII Ranger Z97  | Kingston Genesis 8GB | Be quiet Power Zone 750w   | Sapphire R9 Fury X |  Sandisk SSD 120Go + WD Green 1TB 7200 rpm | Nzxt Phantom 410

Should've tested bf4 with mantle. I would love to see if the e8400 work a bit better.

Best Video Ever!!! :D Well Done guys, I love it. Please make more but with stupid requirements :D cardboard tower :P

dang. I did not think the Q6600 would see that advantage in games over an E8400 (even @ stock).  Guess games have become more multi-threaded in recent years finally then.
Would always take the Quad over the Dual though for an actual day-to-day machine for multitasking reasons.

How Linus didn't know the sound of a stock AMD R9 blower though ... all of the respect points go sailing out the window.

Fun series. Thnx for sharing :)

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm
Most of this was from mining rig, hence the scewy specs (especially PSU)

Man, where do I have to start with compliments...

Loved the format, I also like it, when there is something to look out for, so I really don't mind, if there is one week in between!

The musical choice was superb, sure I love classical music, but it fit the theme sooooo well, I really enjoyed it alot!

This was maybe the funniest and most entertaining video I've ever seen from you guys, loved it! :D

Corsair 900D |ASUS  Maximus V Formula | i7 3770K | 16 GB Dominator Platinum 1600Mhz | Asus GTX 780 |

Intel 520 Series 180Gb SSD | BeQuiet 860W PSU | GPU, CPU, MOBO watercooled with 2x480 rads, 12 BitFenix Spectre Pro total | Acrylic Tubing from Primochill | Icemodz RGB-LEDs | Aquacomputer pump, flow control and fan/liquid control | 27" Dell U2711

Build-Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/88573-the-red-beast-900d-780-liquidcooled-first-build/