Scrapyard Wars Episode 1c

To stop the whiners:

Go with a naming schema of say Episode 1 Part 1

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

Grate series guys. Keep up the good work as usual.

Watched for the builds.... Ataied for the music...very tasteful ed!!

Great series, looking forward to the next instalment :)

Considering this all happened over one weekend it seems kind of scumbaggy to release it over three weeks.

Well well... Honestly these videos are a lot better than any others.

This was some of the best content I've seen on LTT! I can't wait for more!

Everyone was banging on about that R9 290 but realistically it was always going to come down that Quad Core.

The reason why no matter how low your budget is, for a gaming build, try to get a quad core.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

IMO Linus and Luke build does bring back the old school

but @LinusTech and @Slick

prepare to get reck by my rig B)

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6800 YOLO

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/304146-operation-core-2-extreme-revivial-for-just-200usd-building-80-done/

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Great Show guys!! Loved the format by the way.

Don't know if this was thought of, but I think that a great scrapyard wars episode could be doing some contest on some creative raspberry pi builds.

What do you guys think? 

Thanks!

All i3s have hyperthreading so they can run like a quad core. They actually are a good gaming CPU, with performance very similar to an FX 8350 (8 "cores" getting rekt by 2 cores 4 threads, who'd have thought that it was possible).

You totally go wrong, it's not 4 cores its 4 virtual threads, any new game require 4 Cores and the Hyper Threading are completely outperform by the Real physical.

Even old 6-8 Cores AMD are better cause they got physical cores compare to the i3 who just has 2 real cores.

You could show me any benchmark who claim the opposite it's just a physical law....

"Innovation is the only way to progress"

"To every action there is always an opposed equal reaction"

"There is only one road, always straight"

can we get benchmarks of the 290 in Linus' rig? that's what you said the good system would be.

dual core (E8400) + R9 290 = 5745 fs

4 cores (Q6600) + 7950 (or R9 280) = 5866 fs

yeah...

can you see my point ?...

dual cores... and 2015... do not mix  :rolleyes:

dual core (E8400) + R9 290 = 5745 fs

4 cores (Q6600) + 7950 (or R9 280) = 5866 fs

yeah...

can you see my point ?...

dual cores... and 2015... do not mix  :rolleyes:

Lol, no kidding. Though its more like 4 threads not 4 cores when you compare an i3 to an overclocked Pentium. i3's are probably the only dual cores at the moment really worth anything in gaming. Fair enough a Pentium can play most of them quite well, but the i3 handles the newer ones a lot better.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Hi Linus and guys 

I liked very much this Scrapyard Wars videos  :)

But like Tv show i hate Episode 1.2.3.4.5.6.7. so i await everything end and then i watch hole thing

So do moooooooooooor Scrapyard Wars or something like that

So Luke wasn't able to OC his E8400? Was it due to his motherboard? 

5820K - ASUS X99-A - 16GB Corsair LPX - HD 7970 GHz - Qnix 1440p @ 96Hz - Waiting for Polaris/Pascal

Looks like nicklmg is about to finally hit 500 posts

:P

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

And 3a, 3b, 3c; 4a, 4b, 4c; etc.

Let's hope so!... With the response to episode 1 I would say that you guys should expect many more iterations of Scrapyard Wars in the future...

Please do more of these i absolutely loved these! I would love to see more maybe next time increase the budget to 400?

This here is the fun box.... BECAUSE THERES A CHAIR ON TOP OF IT!!!

Man... I totally thought Luke would win with that R9 290, it looks like Linus's CPU allowed him to destroy Luke. Especially with the bottlenecking but I'm just shocked at the insane difference in performance.

My System has a Intel Core i7 4790k @4.5ghz Cooled by A Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO With a MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition and 16GB of Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz Memory.

Good conclusion guys. ;)

I hope some people stop to claim that i3 or Pentium are good for gaming cause as we can see Linus chose a Quad Core with a lower GPU than Luke who invest all is money in a great one but he had a Dual Core that have totally bottleneck it.

Linus totally beat Luke cause of this particular choice.

Good JOB :)

you are completely wrong, i3´s and pentiums have much greater performance per core that the old core 2 duos, thats why with the older cpus there was a much bigger difference, because they have less cores and less perfomance per core, so they bottleneck a lot with high end gpus, a core i3 sandy bridge will still bottleneck a 7950, but it will outperform the q6600 because of the greater performance per core, and some pentiums like the anniversary edition overclocked to 4.4 should perform better than the q6600, because each core performs nearly like two of the older kentsfield cores in the q6600, if you don´t believe me search for cinebench with the g3258 or a i3, the core 2 quad at 3.6ghz gets 3.09 a g3258 gets 3.9 at 4.7 ghz with stock voltage, an i3 gets even more, in conclusion, the i3, pentiums, core 2 duo or quad will bottleneck those graphics cards

I really enjoyed these videos. It gave me some great ideas for Veterans in my community that need computers.

Good fun. Still like to have seen this done in two parts, but I think I could get use to it depending how regular this becomes.

They should have tested the other card in linus' computer.

This does give more credence to the cpu bottlenecking.