Scrapyard Wars Episode 1c

When are these new challenges going to launch?

Same date as Broadwell / Skylake desktop K CPUs.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Love this new show that you've been launching, its fun and awesome to watch, and its like ''let it be sunday'' every week ;)

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2

My username is relevant here.

Also Luke, my email address is pretty true huh?

So, I've wondered, was this series inspired at least partially by Top Gear?

System: Thinkpad T460

not nearly as sexy as my msi p35 platinum. B)

http://assets.hardwarezone.com/images/p35p_circu0.jpg

I remember those days, when board makers were going against each other to see who makes the boards with the best copper heatsinks designs with heatpipes. :D

24bjmg3.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I remember those days, when board makers were going against each other to see who makes the boards with the best copper heatsinks designs with heatpipes. :D

24bjmg3.jpg

1. Is that LGA775
  2. If 1 is yes, gimme

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1. Is that LGA775
  2. If 1 is yes, gimme

copper was immediatly shunned when LGA775 become old. so yes.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

24bjmg3.jpg[/quote

Damn. That looks badass :P love me some

Copper.

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

copper was immediatly shunned when LGA775 become old. so yes.

And that is one of the reasons why I like LGA775-all of the good overclockers are on it, and the motheboards actually justify their prices, unlike the new, overpriced ones.

PMSL

linus, luke, please continue to make these videos, this type of videos are awesome

They will, he said that's why it's part 1a 1b 1c instead of part 1 2 3 :D

CPU: i5-6600k @ 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980 | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 Red/Black | Storage: 256GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB Western Digital HDD | PSU: EVGA 750w | Monitor: ASUS VS247H | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Keyboard: $15 Cheapo Rubber Dome Keyboard | Mouse: Rosewill RGM-300

Linus Tech Tips Pebble (and Pebble Time) notifier watchface!

And that is one of the reasons why I like LGA775-all of the good overclockers are on it, and the motheboards actually justify their prices, unlike the new, overpriced ones.

exactly.

also DAT 45nm SEXYNESS YO

its so nice for overclocking and runs a tad cooler and is still good enough for most gaming and like... *sigh* 

core 2 quad fo lyfe dawg. 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Good conclusion guys. ;)

I hope some people stop to claim that i3 or Pentium are good for gaming cause as we can see Linus chose a Quad Core with a lower GPU than Luke who invest all is money in a great one but he had a Dual Core that have totally bottleneck it.

Linus totally beat Luke cause of this particular choice.

Good JOB :)

"Innovation is the only way to progress"

"To every action there is always an opposed equal reaction"

"There is only one road, always straight"

Brilliant series!!!

Can anyone explain what happened? Was Luke's cpu so weak that it couldn't drive the 290? Bad PCI lane? Just sheer throughput vs the quad on Linus' machine?

This is a real revelation on how everyone says just upgrading a gpu will be sufficient to keep your machine current. Clearly not the case!

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Good conclusion guys. ;)

I hope some people stop to claim that i3 or Pentium are good for gaming cause as we can see Linus chose a Quad Core with a lower GPU than Luke who invest all is money in a great one but he had a Dual Core that have totally bottleneck it.

Linus totally beat Luke cause of this particular choice.

Good JOB :)

All i3s have hyperthreading so they can run like a quad core. They actually are a good gaming CPU, with performance very similar to an FX 8350 (8 "cores" getting rekt by 2 cores 4 threads, who'd have thought that it was possible).

PMSL

Brilliant series!!!

Can anyone explain what happened? Was Luke's cpu so weak that it couldn't drive the 290? Bad PCI lane? Just sheer throughput vs the quad on Linus' machine?

This is a real revelation on how everyone says just upgrading a gpu will be sufficient to keep your machine current. Clearly not the case!

Trust me when I say that the CPU Luke chose was the wrong one for gaming. Linus had the right idea and was able to make a well balanced system.

PMSL

1. Is that LGA775
  2. If 1 is yes, gimme

Yes that is socket 775. The board in that picture is the Asus P5K3 Premium Black Pearl Edition. Black Pearl is basically Asus's best of the best boards, that's limited edition and sometimes comes with nice accessories. Too bad they stop making it. :\ One odd part with that P5K3 is there is no ram slots, it has 2GB of DDR3 1333MHz soldered to the board.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Yes I am nitpicking, deal with it :P

I mean series 1, episode 1, etc

Sounds more professional IMHO

They could do it better.

1-1

1-2

1-3

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Yes that is socket 775. The board in that picture is the Asus P5K3 Premium Black Pearl Edition. Black Pearl is basically Asus's best of the best boards, that's limited edition and sometimes comes with nice accessories. Too bad they stop making it. :\ One odd part with that P5K3 is there is no ram slots, it has 2GB of DDR3 1333MHz soldered to the board.

No upgrade option for the RAM? Ok, just no. Its not like the motherboard is for a laptop.

PMSL

Great show. I do with the episodes were longer, Especially the finale. It would have been nice to first show first Linus doing a quick overview of his parts, installing everything, checking to make sure everything works and then fine tuning an overclock on both the CPU and GPU (the end was a bit of  a mess because they rushed the overclocks). Then after all that switching to Luke and having him to the same things then afterwards they can battle eachother in the benchmarks. This is pretty much what they did but there was a lot of chopped footage and it felt too rushed.

I love the concept of the show and i know this was the first time doing it and they will be doing it more but i just think longer and more in-depth footage is much more enjoyable.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

No upgrade option for the RAM? Ok, just no. Its not like the motherboard is for a laptop.

There is the P5K3 Deluxe that has ram slots. This board uses the Intel P35 chipset, so the PCIe lanes are split into x16/x4. The Blitz Formula and Blitz Extreme has a CrossLinx, so the lanes are split evenly at x8/x8. P5E runs on Intel X38 chipset (Deluxe runs on the X48 chipset) and has PCIe lanes running at x16/x16, from this, there is also the Rampage Formula and Rampage Extreme, which also runs on X48 and has x16/x16.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Awesome series. That conclusion was great, too!

Project Refresh - [900D x 780 Ti SLI x Watercooled]

Build Log

Great series! I worked a lot with both cpu's and always thought the e8400 was the beter gaming CPU because of the higher multiplier. In these days I thought dual core was enough, but no longer today it seems. Maybe if the motherboard could overclock thuis e8400 it would have been closer.

If you are looking for ideas: how about a contest by getting the most out of a dell Optiplex 755 sff or a HP dc7800 sff. These computers are out there A LOT for almost free, but not easy to get them to play games on.

I meant higher stock FSB and thuis frequency, not higher multiplier