OS X, iOS and Linux have more vulnerabilities than Windows

Afsal

RIP OSX users?

Sally: l Intel i5 4690k | | Corsair H55 | | Zalman z12 plus | | Hitachi 2TB HDD | | Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB | | ASRock Fatal1ty z97 Killer | | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | | EVGA SuperNova 750 watt | | MSI 390 | | Windows 10| 

Aaaaand reality kicks in. What will Apple fanboys argue with now? iOS has a higher crash rate than Android 5.0, and now OS X has more vulnerabilities! :D

ud think that apple with all their money could just higher every security software firm and audit their software

and also to be fair some vulnerabilities from the iphone come from badly written closed source baseband firmware

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Okay guys reality check.... OS X has more vulnerabilities... Yep. But it will be exploited less, for one simple reason. Less pe4ople use OS X than use windows. It will always come down to a simple equation for any hacker/virus coder. Where can I do the least amount of work, for the most financial gain. At the moment that equilibrium tips against Windows. It might be more secure (let's go with that for a second) But there's also more people using it (which can find vulnerabilities through random chance) which means the rewards for a sucessful hack are greater.

So Windows itself only had 36 vulnerabilities, yet "IE had 242 vulnerabilities, compared to 124 in Chrome, and 117 in Firefox."

Even though the OS might have fewer vulnerabilities, its browser, and other 3rd part software has more vulnerabilities, if you plan on installing NO software on your windows PC, its safer, but once you start downloading programs and running 3rd party stuff, then its irrelevant 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

inb4 Apple hate....wait Apple hate is already here.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

What version of OSX and what Linux kernel?

Unix is naturally more secure than Windows. I've used several Linux distros for years and haven't run into a single virus, while I've ran into a few on Windows. I can't speak for OS X, but I imagine it's the same due to the structure of Unix.

Based on personal experience, I don't think this is true, or perhaps something has changed the last few years. MOAR DATA PLS

Unix is naturally more secure. But it's also open source code. The reason less viruses are written for linux is that it isn't worth the coder's time to write for a smaller cross section of the community.

What version of OSX and what Linux kernel?

Unix is naturally more secure than Windows. I've used several Linux distros for years and haven't run into a single virus, while I've ran into a few on Windows. I can't speak for OS X, but I imagine it's the same due to the structure of Unix.

Based on personal experience, I don't think this is true, or perhaps something has changed the last few years. MOAR DATA PLS

Well it's true, but less people use Linux so creating viruses and exploiting it is less useful than exploiting an OS that about 80-90% of people run in their homes.

Linux ftw! :D

Yeah don't you just love how they are very specific about which versions of Windows and yet they only say "Linux Kernel" you know, the thing we have hundreds and even thousands of different versions at this point? Which version? A generic Kernel? You know each distro can and many do modify the Linux kernel to their specifications, some of them focusing on security stuff and leaving updates behind until they are validated to be safe? In fact many Linux users including most admins compile their own custom kernel meaning they can address (or create, to be fair) their own security flaws?

Somehow I am not surprised that the US Government doesn't wants you on Linux and claims the exact opposite: that it is less safe.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Aaaaand reality kicks in. What will Apple fanboys argue with now? iOS has a higher crash rate than Android 5.0, and now OS X has more vulnerabilities! :D

Reality kicked in many many years ago. Anyone who has followed security news for the last decade or so will tell you that yes, OS X is really bad when it comes to security. I doubt this will shatter the reality distortion field though.

So Windows itself only had 36 vulnerabilities, yet "IE had 242 vulnerabilities, compared to 124 in Chrome, and 117 in Firefox."

Even though the OS might have fewer vulnerabilities, its browser, and other 3rd part software has more vulnerabilities, if you plan on installing NO software on your windows PC, its safer, but once you start downloading programs and running 3rd party stuff, then its irrelevant 

The problem with that logic is that you assume the 3rd party software for OS X are more secure than the 3rd party software for Windows, and you also (wrongly) assume that Apple's first party software is more secure. In reality, things like iTunes and QuickTime has more holes than a cheese grater.

That's what I'm saying. They are oddly vague with OS X and Linux yet super specific with the Windows versions. I don't believe the data set.

I think I saw this over on a subreddit and said "hmm...bullshit". Who goes into breaking down every Windows version and then just lumps all OSXs into one? Thats crappy data presentation and meant to be used in a loaded way to fool people. 

Am I saying OS X doesn't have issues? Nope. It does, its got plenty of vulnerabilities. But FFS, present the data in a more honest way, will you? 

If you can add, Windows OS has more than Mac OSX. Since OS X is TEN versions. So Which OS X do they refer to? Ditto with iOS. 

Shitty statistical table is shitty. 

Not only that but its also comparing Windows and OS X/iOS as complete OSes to just the bare Linux kernel, not a complete GNU/Linux distribution. Although, since Linux has so many distros they would have to add all distros out there and the vulnerabilities in each, the GNU/Linux vulnerabilities would be in the thousands in that case. :mellow:

I think its not even really possible to compare Windows, GNU/Linux, and OS X fairly because they are just so fundamentally different, especially when it comes to GNU/Linux.

Last but not least, the amount of vulnerabilities can also depend on the amount of research being done against an OS to find them. Windows has traditionally been researched and targeted an insane amount for vulnerabilities just due to it being so popular and running on so many systems.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Software flaws and vulnerabilities everywhere on forum. What a great year this is going to be....

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

The problem with that logic is that you assume the 3rd party software for OS X are more secure than the 3rd party software for Windows, 

No no I was just saying that comparing vulnerabilities is irrelevant anyway because the major ones come from influences outside of the manufacturers control 

I would say that OSX and iOS do have options that block 3rd party content (can be disabled on the mac) though that is assuming software authorised to run on OSX and iOS is safe, and sometimes it isnt though it is an extra barrier

either way neither are safe, and can be compromised just as easily

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

It would still amount to nothing. The reason Windows users are more vulnerable is not because their system is more vulnerable, but because of market share. Faced with a pile of 1000 skittles vs. 10 skittles, EVERYONE will go for the 1000 skittles. 

Emphasis on users. 

(Leaving out mobile for now). 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I have a feeling OS X and iOS vulnerabilities aren't just on the latest versions...

They aren't impenetrable, you'd be stupid to think that. But they both have built-in protection that's done a damn fine job for the past 15 years; and for the rare times that something slips through (think Flashback), Apple quickly releases a patch or app to repair it.

It would still amount to nothing. The reason Windows users are more vulnerable is not because their system is more vulnerable, but because of market share. Faced with a pile of 1000 skittles vs. 10 skittles, EVERYONE will go for the 1000 skittles.

Emphasis on users.

(Leaving out mobile for now).

Yeah,if Linux would grow so large like Windows it wouls be much more prone to attacks. Attackers would simply start to code and try to exploit

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Unix is naturally more secure. But it's also open source code. The reason less viruses are written for linux is that it isn't worth the coder's time to write for a smaller cross section of the community.

linux's file system also makes it very hard for viruses to spread

Just remember.... "You will never, ever, catch a virus on an apple".....

vulnerability =/= virus ;)

there are afaik still no OS X viruses

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log