Being Good at Video Games Isn't Cool, Says Japanese Poll

You might be terrible at video games. You might be amazing. And if you're a guy who's good at games, does that make you cool? That's what one Japanese website wanted to find out. 

According to Buzz Plus, the following question was posed to two hundred women in Japan: "Do you think men who are good at video games are cool?"

As with any poll, this data doesn't speak to the opinions of all Japanese women and is only indicative of those who replied. Also, the poll doesn't appear to take into account same sex couples. So! Take this data for what it is: a poll.

Here are the results:

1. "I don't think they're cool." (59 percent)

2. "I think they're cool." (33.5 percent)

3. "It's rather creepy." (7.5 percent)

So yes, the majority of those polled didn't think being good at games was cool, with the more extreme opinions going as far as calling it a "waste of time" or "an illness." But opinions and perceptions varied. For example, one woman replied, "Until college it seems cool, but once you're in your late twenties, it becomes a bit much."

But that doesn't necessarily mean all those who don't think it's cool are against gaming per se. Said one woman, "I'm pretty good at video games, so it's not cool for me, but normal," while another added, "It's cool if you're a little good at video games." 

I dunno, I think it's cool when people are good at almost anything. It's interesting to see someone dedicate time and energy to master something. Maybe that's just me. 

But take heart. Buzz Plus noted that for some of the 33.5 percent who think gaming skills are cool, they might fall in love with a guy for that reason

twmenlqodfml6p9w6ami.gif

Source : http://kotaku.com/being-good-at-video-games-isnt-cool-says-japanese-poll-1687411488

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I don't like the poll options. I find it astonishing to watch some players at games I play. I don't idolize them and I don't find all of them weird or creepy. So it's hard to make an in-between answer. I

Eh.. I think it's cool if you are good at games.

I myself am not MLG 1337 pro, but I'm not bad at a few games.. And it's cool to see people online who are better than me.

It's annoying when people brag about being good/better than you and stuff.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Not surprised really. :/

Tbh those three poll answer don't really line up with my way of thinking :P 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

I wonder if it would be the opposite in Korea?  

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Wrong country.

Meant to be Korea. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I am probably terrible at the games I play, I just enjoy them alot

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

no beeing good at video games doesn`t make you cool in front of girls .i think its the other way around in todays society.beeing a noob in games make you more cool

I think it's cool to be good at video games, but more importantly to be good at video games without trying your heart out. Nobody likes a try hard.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

People are too insecure and too bothered with what other people think of them. Who gives a shit? More specifically, who gives so much shit that they'd waste the time of researchers and statisticians? 

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Everyone be honest with yourself, it's not cool.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

I neither think it's cool or "creepy". I don't care if people in their adulthood play games, like seriously why does it matter? If you do something that makes you happy then keep on doing it.

Where is the I really don't care option?

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

Good thing I don't play games to be cool. I play games because they're fun and I have hella good times playing video games with ma bruh's.

P.S: this was conducted in Japan, hard to take those people serious when I know about all the f'ed up anime, pr0n and tv game shows they churn out on a daily basis.. :P

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

it might instead show stereotype characters, if the women asked image of a man good at games is a basement dwelling socially inept person then then its no surprise that they wouldn't say its cool.

I don't think there cool or creepy.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I think that people who are good at video games have either 

1. Played a lot/Have too much time

2. Enjoy the game a lot

2. Natural talent

3. Pros that need money

Therefore, I don't really envy them, but good for them that they are good and doing what they enjoy.

Not really my decision of how they spend their time so I should't care.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

And how on earth did they not predict the outcome of this? People in general think video games are a waste of time.

But sports, those are cool, you know, running after a ball and stuff. Sports always wins.

*nerd rage*

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Ah! The 3-question, totally biased, designed to make it easy for me to confirm the conclusions of the article I've already written, poll!

Yeah, I don't care what the culture that bring us the revival of blackface thinks:

-snip

I believe that's a ganguro girl, not blackface.

Edit: Also possibly a "woman" from New Jersey

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I believe that's a ganguro girl, not blackface.

Edit: Also possibly a "woman" from New Jersey

Yeah I know they're called kangaroo or whatever girls but I think it's supposed to be blackface, just in their weird "let's fuck it up even more" way of doing things.

-------

Current Rig

-------

And how on earth did they not predict the outcome of this? People in general think video games are a waste of time.

But sports, those are cool, you know, running after a ball and stuff. Sports always wins.

*nerd rage*

I don't like the mentality against gamers. I find it to be bizarre and hypocritical. Especially from our more...elder...members of society who deem it healthy to watch reality TV and other nonsense (I don't mean good TV. Good TV shows are good TV shows that everyone should watch). I think its weird that society encourages the mindless consumption of one medium but abhors the consumption of the other, a medium that actually involves more thinking than simply watching TV. 

I like to think of myself as "the shit" when it comes to certain games, because I put that much time into them. Practice does make perfect and it doesn't surprise me that people get good at games. Just like after a few hundred hours of flying I'm really good with drones. Or after a couple years of photography I'm really good at that.