Should LLT Start a Kickstarter for a framtime capture rig?

Ps_domingo

Explain why not? :) 
I mean it is to the consumers benefit. 

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

Um... How does this benefit consumers? Kickstarter is a platform for funding a product for consumer sale. Not so Linus can build a Frame Timing capture setup. And besides, I'm fairly sure Linus was joking about starting a kickstarter.

If Linus wants to setup some kind of donation platform, he should use PayPal.

You can actually use kickstarter to fund project that wont be for consumer sale. :) 

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

You can actually use kickstarter to fund project that wont be for consumer sale. :)

Again, I ask; How is that beneficial for us consumers?

Better, more accurate reviews, for multi-card GPU's at least.  

Isn't that the point of LTT? to provide the consumer a better understanding, an in depth review, accurate facts and opinions on certain products?

Even if AMD is releasing a driver to "fixes" the Frame time issue, it doesn't mean it would reflect better results. it just improves the current state of the frame times. :) 

More accurate information to base purchases on, the same way that most of what Linus does benefits us. 

Better, more accurate reviews, for multi-card GPU's at least.  

Isn't that the point of LTT? to provide the consumer a better understanding, an in depth review, accurate facts and opinions on certain products?

Even if AMD is releasing a driver to "fixes" the Frame time issue, it doesn't mean it would reflect better results. it just improves the current state of the frame times. :)

Yet you think kickstarter is the best platform for this? Linus should use some other donation service as I've stated in a previous post.

Yet you think kickstarter is the best platform for this? Linus should use some other donation service as I've stated in a previous post.

you sound like an a** if you don't want to donate thats cool but don't come around here bashing an idea because YOU don't benefit from it. I would donate if he had a donate section. I like this idea. 

Motherboard: MSI-990FXA-GD65 | CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.3Ghz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 770 Lightning @ 1300Mhz CC and 8000Mhz MC | Case: Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 | PSU: Corsair AX850 | OS: Windows 8.1

you sound like an a** if you don't want to donate thats cool but don't come around here bashing an idea because YOU don't benefit from it. I would donate if he had a donate section. I like this idea. 

Don't be so quick to judge. I never said I wouldn't want to donate. This topic is about discussing whether or not kickstarter would be the best platform for this.

Don't be so quick to judge. I never said I wouldn't want to donate. This topic is about discussing whether or not kickstarter would be the best platform for this.

yeah I may have jumped the gun on that one sorry about that. But Linus said in the live stream about a kickstarter for this very thing.

Motherboard: MSI-990FXA-GD65 | CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.3Ghz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 770 Lightning @ 1300Mhz CC and 8000Mhz MC | Case: Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 | PSU: Corsair AX850 | OS: Windows 8.1

WHO CARES WHAT PLATFORM. If 500 of us donated 2 dollars, a relatively small amount, we would be halfway there. I say LET IT BEGIN. 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

But Linus said in the live stream about a kickstarter for this very thing.

I'm aware he did. My original post is evident to the fact that he did. And as I said, he was probably insincere about it in his livestream.

WHO CARES WHAT PLATFORM.

I do.

To me (And to a lot of others.), kickstarter is a great place for indie devs and entrepreneurs that can fund their games and products respectively. Let's put aside the fact that Linus getting his hands on a decent frame capture system would benefit his reviews and the fact that he has a fan base ready and willing to donate to his cause. If people (In this case; Linus.) starts a kickstarter project that is just simply for funding a frame timing capture rig for himself, that tarnishes the name and intention of kickstarter campaigns. Others will see this as an example and think to themselves: "Oh, why buy a computer myself when I can just start a kickstarter?"

I'm just not comfortable with using kickstarter as the platform. Services like PayPal are just as capable and even better with the fact that if you use PayPal, Linus gets each donation instantly rather than waiting for whatever amount of days the kickstarter would last for to finish.

If Linus can scrap up a couple thousand for his camera equipment and other random stuff then why can't he buy his own hardware in the first place?

That is what leads me to believe that Linus wasn't serious about starting a kickstarter.

Edit: Although, to be fair, he did just move in to a new house. A three-story house at that. His funds just may be exhausted at this point. Who knows.

He should use IndiGoGo, that platform is better suited for that. I would donate 100 bucks, maybe more, depending on the gifts.

He should use IndiGoGo, that platform is better suited for that. I would donate 100 bucks, maybe more, depending on the gifts.

Gifts? Dude you donate to help. It's like giving 100 dollars to a charity and demand they give you a new cutlery set.

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

Gifts? Dude you donate to help. It's like giving 100 dollars to a charity and demand they give you a new cutlery set.

That is another reason why kickstarter shouldn't be used for this. People will expect gifts in exchange for their money.

If Linus can scrap up a couple thousand for his camera equipment and other random stuff then why can't he buy his own hardware in the first place?

Ummm, maybe because he just spent al his money?

Anyway, regardless of the method of payment, I'd be willing to let LMG have some of my money for the frametime capture setup. His (or should I say their's) is the tech channel I follow the most, and I think they deserve it.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

That is another reason why kickstarter shouldn't be used for this. People will expect gifts in exchange for their money.

Just saying, giving away a T-shirt does a lot! Something like PCPer did, they raised 22K from their 10K goal. And I think a lot of people would also want a LTT T-shirt or something similar.

Just saying, giving away a T-shirt does a lot! Something like PCPer did, they raised 22K from their 10K goal. And I think a lot of people would also want a LTT T-shirt or something similar.

Though from that 22k he had to spend some amount for the shirts unless you get some dirt cheap shirts that you cant actually wear very long.

2k is a relatively small goal. It's kinda difficult to justify rewarding backers when the goal is that small. The money needed to buy T-shirts in bulk could just be utilized towards that small goal instead of hoping people will back you.

2k is a relatively small goal. It's kinda difficult to justify rewarding backers when the goal is that small. The money needed to buy T-shirts in bulk could just be utilized towards that small goal instead of hoping people will back you.

I agree, while I would gladly donate via Kickstarter or Indiego, 2K is a small amount. It would be much faster and efficient to just take paypal donations rather than having to create the gift requirements for said starter programs. 

Asus Gryphon w/Thermal Armor / Intel i5 4670K / Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB / Asus ROG Matrix 7970 Platinum / Samsung 830 / Seagate Barracuda

Corsair AX860 / Corsiar 350D / Corsair H100i / Windows 8 Pro

From what I understand, Paypal dosen't charge for the transfer? Correct me if I'm wrong on that... Kickstarter and Indiegogo both take a slice of the donated amount... 

| Corsair Carbide 400Q | Intel Core i5 6600K | ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB |

| EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW+ ACX 2.0 SLI | Noctua NH-L9i | Corsair RM650X | HyperX Fury 240 GB | Seagate Barracuda 2 TB |

Steam: zonetrooper90 | PSN: zonetrooper90 | NNID: zonetrooper90 |

Though from that 22k he had to spend some amount for the shirts unless you get some dirt cheap shirts that you cant actually wear very long.

I'm sure there are T-Shirt companies that are the equivalent of PowMax power supplies! Wear it for 20 seconds and the shirt bursts into flames!!

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti