Should LLT Start a Kickstarter for a framtime capture rig?

Ps_domingo

I would be all for it but Linus has always been very hesitant to accept money from his viewers directly. Even if we have a majority being willing to support this idea I can imagine Linus and the rest of his team would still be very cautious about actually proceeding.

Sure, why not.

It's not like you are forced to pay.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

there is always some people that feel they are being forced...

| Corsair Carbide 400Q | Intel Core i5 6600K | ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB |

| EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW+ ACX 2.0 SLI | Noctua NH-L9i | Corsair RM650X | HyperX Fury 240 GB | Seagate Barracuda 2 TB |

Steam: zonetrooper90 | PSN: zonetrooper90 | NNID: zonetrooper90 |

No, not on kickstarter. I is just not the right platform for stuff like this.

---

Also if LMG wants to get more serious with their reviews (i.e. frametime caputres, etc.), they probably should also make a dedicated website with test results of their reviews.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

MrSuperb, on 01 Jul 2013 - 7:09 PM, said:

No, not on kickstarter. I is just not the right platform for stuff like this.

---

Also if LMG wants to get more serious with their reviews (i.e. frametime caputres, etc.), they probably should also make a dedicated website with test results of their reviews.

Pretty much this.

PCPer (some other sites do it to a lesser extent) already do the whole framecapture and analysis thing very well. It needs to be put on a website so people can look over a review in their own time. There are something like 5 very meaningful graphs that need to go into each game for each GPU tested. I just can't see that being covered adequately in a video. Also, from what I understand the whole capture-analysis process is very lengthy, significantly longer than the process LMG are doing now.

If you are only testing single GPU cards FRAPS FPS and observed FPS are nearly identical. Framerating on single GPUs is only useful in showing the existence of 'hitchs' (ie stutter) (significantly longer frametimes than average) in specific games (eg Skyrim). And this tends to be a product of the game itself, rather than which (tier or brand) GPU you are using. In most games there are simply no stuttering issues (therefore no difference between FRAPS FPS and observed FPS) on single GPUs at all.

The only time when framerating is useful (ie there is a tangible difference between FRAP FPS and observed FSP) is when using SLI/Crossfire.

SLI frametime metering is already pretty good, AMD are working on this in their next driver. It'll only get better on both sides.

My point is, soon I think it will be pretty much a non issue for SLI/Crossfire setups, if anything it'll be game, rather and GPU brand, specific. I'm not sure it's worth the money (or time) to invest in framecapture tech if 1) you're not doing SLI/Crossfire reviews, 2) there isn't a website there to display the results 3) the time it'll take to get the results and 4) there are a number of website that already cover it, some that do it very very well.

If it has to be on any platform, it would have to be IndieGoGo. Kickstarter isn't suitable for something like this.

That is if even linus was being serious about considering a kickstarter/donation drive in the first place.

I also agree with the notion of LMG having a review site, similar to PCPer and TOT.

Don't be so quick to judge. I never said I wouldn't want to donate. This topic is about discussing whether or not kickstarter would be the best platform for this.

Jeez man, don't be so negative. The topic is actually whether or not a donation fund should be set up, not a platform debate. You can't shoot things down without providing alternatives, all you had to do in your first post is say 'yes, but on IndieGoGo'.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

The funny part is, if everyone registered to this forum would donate 1$ he could buy like 20 ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

My opinion is; no they shouldn't.

Kickstarter is for supporting projects that need crowd funding and need exposure.

Linus could just put a "donate with paypal" button on the site and the money would go straight to him without the Kickstarter commission.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Jeez man, don't be so negative. The topic is actually whether or not a donation fund should be set up, not a platform debate. You can't shoot things down without providing alternatives, all you had to do in your first post is say 'yes, but on IndieGoGo'.

I'm not being negative. Read through the rest of the thread if you haven't already as I explain why it shouldn't be on kickstarter. I did, in fact provide an alternative. I stated that PayPal would be the best way to setup a donation campaign. And my view for indiegogo would be the same as my view for kickstarter.

I personally don't think a frame-timing setup is necessary. Sure it would be cool and all, but how long would it be before it becomes irrelevant? There are so many other things that can be done with that kind of money that would benefit LMG and the community.

No not willing to give a profit organisation monet

Interested in Business and Technology

No not willing to give a profit organisation monet

You don't pay for music or movies either, do you?

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

You don't pay for music or movies either, do you?

:ph34r:

Interested in Business and Technology

I believe kickstarter is for people who want to build something new and bring it to the market (new products). It's not for funding someone to buy some hardware

I agree with you @Bleedman0xx.

As for the PayPal donation, Linus better read the fine print and check his Tax laws. Recently somebody doing the same thing all of a sudden had a knock on his door with a tax bill they were not expecting. (OK maybe not a knock on the door but a letter with a hefty bill that was not expected nor did they have the funds to pay it due to spending it all too soon).

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I agree with you @Bleedman0xx.

As for the PayPal donation, Linus better read the fine print and check his Tax laws. Recently somebody doing the same thing all of a sudden had a knock on his door with a tax bill they were not expecting. (OK maybe not a knock on the door but a letter with a hefty bill that was not expected nor did they have the funds to pay it due to spending it all too soon).

Yup, he should make sure that it will work out well. I don't know about tax laws in Canada but $2,000 is a pretty small amount that the Tax dogs won't care to sniff out. If it were more like $10,000 then that would be a different story.

It's kind of sad though, no matter what service you use, they're gonna want a slice of that pie too.

• 2 weeks later...

No, largely because a fair amount of it could be sponsored.  The sponsors could benefit from it more than anyone else.

Also, better tech could lead to more views which would lead to more money for him anyways.  It's an investment for him.

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

I like kickstarter over straight donation because you get something cool out of it. Also there is publicity in having your project go up on kickstarter and have it being successfully funded.

I don't think linus would want to do this though. Look how long it took him to start asking for likes. I also really like this "demeanor" he has and that is why I probably have the most respect for him out off all the people I am subbed to on yt. This is the reason I will give a like all his videos as opposed to someone who spends a minute or so begging for likes in every video. I don't think I would support any other youtuber's kickstarter, but in this case I would. 

WHO CARES WHAT PLATFORM. If 500 of us donated 2 dollars, a relatively small amount, we would be halfway there. I say LET IT BEGIN. 

Frame time capture rigs are not $1000 lol. They are much much more expensive from what the guy said.

PC Specs

Asus Rampage IV Extreme | Intel i7 3930K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 32GB (8x4GB) | MSI GTX 980 +200MHz +200MHz | Corsair HX1050i PSU

Corsair Force 120GB SSD | Western Digital 2TB Green HDD | Corsair Carbide 500R Midtower | Random DVD Burner | Corsair H100 for CPU

Frame time capture rigs are not $1000 lol. They are much much more expensive from what the guy said.

I said we would be halfway there. its like 2k. 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

I said we would be halfway there. its like 2k. 

Is it? I am pretty sure its something like 30-40k. If it was 2k, Linus can buy it himself, no kickstarter for him in that case lol. He has so much hardware in his house already, that he wouldn't even need to buy anything.

Can someone correct us both? Find the live stream with the frame rating guy and his phone call and how much he said it was.

PC Specs

Asus Rampage IV Extreme | Intel i7 3930K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 32GB (8x4GB) | MSI GTX 980 +200MHz +200MHz | Corsair HX1050i PSU

Corsair Force 120GB SSD | Western Digital 2TB Green HDD | Corsair Carbide 500R Midtower | Random DVD Burner | Corsair H100 for CPU

NO because looking at the game play and double blind tests are more than enough to assess any micro stuttering. after all if you can see it (especially linus woh we all know can discern high frame rates and can be picky about stuttering) then it's all good. 

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

Kickstarter is an American-based private for-profit company founded in 2009 that provides tools to raise funds for creative projects via crowd funding through its website.

How is this idea a creative project?

i3-2120|4gb 1333|GTX 650ti 1gb|Fractal R4|Corsair 430w