Official Nvidia GTX 970 Discussion Thread

who did you buy it from? i know amazon is taking them back

Newegg is who i bought it from, and they told me to wait for an answer, but it's been a week :S

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

Why would anyone design a card with flaws???

Disappointing. 

Good point. I wonder if they can explain how it benefited the card to design it that way.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

I never implied that the arguments that I make are fact, only that the evidence that is present gives me and others the impression of what is most believable. The purpose of my post was to inform you that "lying" is not a black and white matter that revolves solely around the intent of deception. All I did was provide the definitions for already documented/defined scenarios that are considered lying even without having full intent of deception, and that these definitions are more refined than the base definition of "lying"

If you are going to say something about my signature or about someone else's analogy, then elaborate. Don't sit there and assume that your explanation is understood simply by stating that you think one way and that someone "just wouldn't understand"

If you don't want to imply your arguments are fact then don't present them as facts. Again, also, you are helping my point. I was responding to @Whorax when he stated "Nvidia lied. Whether they intended to or not, they lied. A lie is a lie." I presented the definition of a lie because his statement contradicts it by saying that even if it was unintended it is a lie which is false. Your definitions only server to solidify that argument, thus my point. It does indeed revolve around intent, that is literally the definition. If you interpret it differently it is then your opinion, again. I assumed by pointing out your signature you would re-read it and see the irony but I guess that was an unfair presumption. The irony is the "The benchmark fallacy" when at the same time it is a fallacy to claim somebody is an Nvidia "apologist" for defending their actions. 

False Dilemma/Dichotomy - Sometimes referred to as Bifurcation, this type of fallacy occurs when someone presents their argument in such a way that there are only two possible options. For example: “If you don’t vote for this candidate, you must be a Communist.” 

Also the benchmark "fallacy" is not a fallacy at all rather than a fact. You are understanding the argument wrong or from a singular point of view. The argument is that The card performs the same in games as once you first got it. That is not a fallacy, it is a fact. Nothing has changed the card was "3.5gb" the moment you recieved it, not after the news, and it still performs the same as when you first got it. The only way this could be a fallacy is if the argument stated with the news the card was still 4gb of full speed because that's what they thought it was when they got it. That is not the argument though.

Also in response to @Whorax I am sorry you took it the way you did, what I meant was I don't want to sound condescending because by stating your mind would be twisted I did not mean you would not understand. I meant you would just ignore my argument which you have already done a couple of times therefore it would be a waist of both our times to attempt to reason with each other.

Newegg is who i bought it from, and they told me to wait for an answer, but it's been a week :S

So contact them back and ask if there's been any updates on your case

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

The irony is the "The benchmark fallacy" when at the same time it is a fallacy to claim somebody is an Nvidia "apologist" for defending their actions.

-SNIP-

The benchmark fallacy assumes the position that because games that they tested had no issues, no issues will be present in further games. It completely undermines the reality (admitted to and verified) that the last 500 MB has extremely slower bandwidth and can create issues when the card tries to access this memory. 

I find it strange that you preach "technical definitions" and then don't understand what the word "apologist" means.

apologist: a person who defends or supports something (such as a religion, cause, or organization) that is being criticized or attacked by other people

That's the literal usage of the word when applied to a subject, it can be used derogatorily but it's still true.  

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Why would anyone design a card with flaws???

Disappointing. 

Flaws are inherent in the manufacturing process. Rather than throwing those parts away which cannot make it as 980s it makes sense to sell them as 970s. This method allows them increase yields and thereby allows them to hit competitive prices. This is normal in the silicon industry going back decades.

The only mistake Nvidia made is lying about the specs.

"We designed the GTX 970 like this for a reason"

mmmkay

Yeah the reason being it would be 3.5gb if it didn't have an extra .5gb of slower memory. I think I would rather have a little extra memory that is slower than not having any.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Returning a 970 because this memory issue is the stupidest thing you can do. If you bought the card, you more than likely bought it because because of the benchmarks and review the 970 got at launch. Does the memory issue impact those results? NO it absolutely does not. It is still a very good card for the money and you still get the same performance that we saw at launch. People returning these cards are fucking idiots.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Does this website not proof-read their articles before publishing? So many errors.

Flaws are inherent in the manufacturing process. Rather than throwing those parts away which cannot make it as 980s it makes sense to sell them as 970s. This method allows them increase yields and thereby allows them to hit competitive prices. This is normal in the silicon industry going back decades.

The only mistake Nvidia made is lying about the specs.

Enthusiasts understand that the 970's are gutted 980's, most don't. I could forgive nvidia if they didn't have this "working as intended/advertised" routine.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

I honestly don't care about the 970 "memory issue", but a little bit of honesty from Nvidia would be nice.

That is the real issue isn't it. If nividia had advertised the card with just 3GB of ram instead, people would have bought them up all the same. The problem is that nvidia lied not that their card sucks. This is less about quality control and more about consumer trust. I think my 970 is just fine but I still feel lied to and I am not sure if I would buy Nvidia again based solely on their name. They need to at least address that this should not happen in the future.

Handing out TechRx's

Does this website not proof-read their articles before publishing? So many errors.

the site is in German , google translated  the page , hence errors 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I just want my money back, and they won't give it to me. I'm very disappointed in Nvidia.

but you bought it from Gigabyte, not Nvidia.

ive you try to get a refund for a coffee you dont go to the plantation that the beans come from, you go to the cafe that sold it to you...

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

ive you try to get a refund for a coffee you dont go to the plantation that the beans come from, you go to the cafe that sold it to you...

Why would you refund a coffee?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

It's only 512 mb of Vram, but nVidia should give something in return.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Why would you refund a coffee?

...because it tastes bad? How about refunding a car, is that better? "You don't take it to the manufacturer you take it back to the lot/retailer"

the site is in German , google translated  the page , hence errors 

They should speak 'Murican.

That is the real issue isn't it. If nividia had advertised the card with just 3GB of ram instead, people would have bought them up all the same.

It does have 4GB of VRAM. It just doesn't have the resources to access the last 12.5% at the same speed. It's the ROP count and memmory bandwidth which was misrepresented.

I would buy Nvidia again based solely on their name

This is how effective Nvidia's marketing has been over the years. Impressive.

I understand that, but Nvidia is the one who released the advertised specs, so the situation is complicated. 

~Abraham Lincoln

ugh let it go I can play most games on ultra  or high at 1440p its a damn good card.

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

if nvidia made the card intentionally with this vram, why didn't they make it 3gb, or 3.5gb, being its closest performance relative, the 780, has 3gb of ram, i think most of us would have been happy with 3.5gb

It does have 4GB of VRAM. It just doesn't have the resources to access the last 12.5% at the same speed. It's the ROP count and memmory bandwidth which was misrepresented.

Although many of us know 970 is still rock solid at 1080p. The 970 is going into the history books as a flawed card.

When people mention 970 many people are going to remember it's flaw as well.

The 970 was well praised by so many for being so powerful. People had high expectations of it, but like Lance Armstrong

it took just one mistake to ruin everything. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Although many of know 970 is still rock solid at 1080p. The 970 is going into the history books as a flawed card.

When people mention 970 many people are going to remember it's flaw as well.

The 970 was well praised by so many for being so powerful. People had high expectations of it, but like Lance Armstrong

it took just one mistake to ruin everything. 

Read in Morgan Freeman's voice.

*This is just for the purpose of information, there's nothing that hasn't been discussed already, please do not start a flame-war and get this thread locked.

Sorry but what is the purpose of this thread then? If there are no news, and everything has already been discussed before then this is simply a repost.

If they had told the truth to begin with, there would not have been this huge controversy. They aren't acknowledging that it's a problem and they aren't compensating their customers for lying on their specifications.

Wasn't there already a thread on this?