Official Nvidia GTX 970 Discussion Thread

The specs (what defines the product) were wrong for 4 months.

Where were you 4 months ago then? "The 290x is still faster LOL YOLO AMD DX18 = Mantle"

You don't have any proof that this issue is affecting people's performance, I've asked you to prove this but I still didn't get anything. 

It's illegal.

That's my point.

Then you should start a case against every company, they all are guilty of false advertising, change.org is a good place to start or make a youtube channel you can non-stop complain. I havent seen you hanging around in the thread "840 evo still vulnerable to low read speeds" meanwhile we also got AMD SSD's. Stop annoying people seriously.

Where were you 4 months ago then? "The 290x is still faster LOL YOLO AMD DX18 = Mantle"

You don't have any proof that this issue is affecting people's performance, I've asked you to prove this but I still didn't get anything. 

Then you should start a case against every company, they all are guilty of false advertising, change.org is a good place to start or make a youtube channel you can non-stop complain. I havent seen you hanging around in the thread "840 evo still vulnerable to low read speeds" meanwhile we also got AMD SSD's. Stop annoying people seriously.

(history that you don't seem to understand): The issues were found because people on forums and reddit were reporting that the card wasn't using the full 4GB in games compared to the 980 which was, they also reported stuttering upon reaching the 3.5GB threshold. Those reports made people think that there was a problem, and soon enough there was enough evidence that nvidia was forced to comment on it. The first claims about the VRAM problem made by users were more akin to "it can't use more than 3.5GB" which we now know because of disclosure and consolidation that it is a little more complicated.

"Everyone is doing it" to the effect of "All companies lie" is a piss poor argument, as well as "well then where you when this irrelevant to the subject at hand happened?" If you find criticism of a company or their practices annoying then you are the one who needs to not engage in the discussion by posting.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

This card basically compares to a 780 yet comes with an extra 1GB of V-Ram (500MB same speed and extra 500MB slower but it's still there) yet was cheaper at launch.

I bought it for the sheer performance, idgaf about numbers.

But I also don't like being lied to.

Nah I'm the guy who told you that Microsoft is using Mantle in DX12 because Richard Huddy said so - at least two times in different periods. Like he said they did it for Khronos.

And you spent dozens of posts showing how clueless you were, and trying to say that Richard Huddy is lying and trying to say that Mantle is useless in comparison to a obsolete API that is getting replaced for the same purpous that Mantle brought (this is the biggest LOL YOLO of them all).

I surely wont start a case, but advised alot of people to file complains to the proper authoritys. Plus it's known at least one lawyers group is going to file a suit.

Yup, you seem annoyed.

If it can happen in an organisation I'm associated with that has like 10 people in it, tops, I'm sure it can happen to a major corporation -_-

I have to agree with this. The company I work for has over 2.6 trillion in net assets as of 2014. A lot of people lost their homes because of how they were misled and resulted in the company losing 6 billion from lawsuits. It happens a lot and also happens when companies buy out other companies. They take on several law suits from that company as well. Yet the company is still ranked 1 or 2 in that field.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

This card basically compares to a 780 yet comes with an extra 2GB of V-Ram (1.5GB same speed and extra 500MB slower but it's still there) yet was cheaper at launch.

I bought it for the sheer performance, idgaf about numbers.

But I also don't like being lied to.

TIL 970 is a 5GB card

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Wut?

Wtf is TIL?

Today I learned, I was being sarcastic

780 is a 3GB card, 3 + 2 (you said it had 2GB more vram than 780) = 5GB. You implied 970 is a 5GB card.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

7 pages of "lol my card is great guys who gives a fuck about the principle of being motherfucking lied to, I get mad FPS" I bet

You're not wrong. It's about half of them more or less.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Same shit, different day. No matter how you guys argue, the 970 won't turn into full 4gb with the same bandwidth card magically.

Someone lock this thread.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

In the legal world, how an incident is dealt with becomes a precedent for how future incidents should be dealt with. 

My wanting to see Nvidia eat crow aside, I think its better that Nvidia face some kind of direct consequence now, than for the legal doors to be left wide open for other tech companies to use white lies in their marketing, and not fear any legal blow back. Corporate accountability must exist to some degree.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Today I learned, I was being sarcastic

780 is a 3GB card, 3 + 2 (you said it had 2GB more vram than 780) = 5GB. You implied 970 is a 5GB card.

And you had to say it like that?

What ever happened to humanity..

And you had to say it like that?

What ever happened to humanity..

Was a joke m8, sorry if I offended you

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Was a joke m8, sorry if I offended you

OH the humanity! Why is the world so cruel? Why, Fate, why are you so mean?

Just noticed that sounds ~poetic~ out of context

Some people don't understand that the specifications were advertised almost exactly the same as 980 ones , that means you should be getting about 3% less performance then 980. But from the start that wasn't the case because you were not even buying the right product to begin with.

I like how for months everyone was talking about how good the 970 performs, all of a sudden everyone talks about vram and ROPs (i don't even know what is it, and i'm sure i'm not the only one, but hey, we know there are less than advertised so we complain, don't we?) and caché.

Since when we give a flying f*ck about caché and rops? Seriously, is everyone going to talk about ROPs and cache and vram when the r9 300 series come out?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

No1 cares about that, all that matters is how well it performs in games, how good you can overclock it and how high it can benchmark. Stop talking like the card is obsolete or something, 2 years ago the gtx 680 was a fucking beast and i saw no1 complain about it having 2gb of vram even though 1080p was a standard.

Nvidia lied, yes, but the card is still flipping awesome, stop complaining and making things bigger than they are because i'm SURE most of you wouldn't even notice the lack of vram, and MUCH LESS ROPs and caché, if this wasn't out.

Move on, this is old news, return your card buy amd or keep it and game on. Chances are, you won't see a bloody difference.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

In reality we should all be thankful that because of this new architecture Nvidia was even able to put 3.5 of fast memory and .5 of a bit slower memory. Last gen they would of had to just put 3gb of memory total.

Some people don't understand that the specifications were advertised almost exactly the same as 980 ones , that means you should be getting about 3% less performance then 980. But from the start that wasn't the case because you were not even buying the right product to begin with.

post-109492-0-37933600-1423615702.png

There ya go.

CUDA Cores: ~23%

Base Clock: ~7%

Boost Clock: ~3%

Texture Fill Rate: ~32%

Average Difference in Benchmarks: ~15%

Whether NVIDIA did lie or not, no matter what angle you look at it, they screwed up big-time. There is only one situation where this misrepresentation of specs makes sense, and that's if it was hoping against hope that the public wouldn't find out and thus wouldn't notice the difference. Well, it did find out. Oops.

Well, whatever. I don't really care so much about this I would be discouraged from buying any products from NVIDIA, but if it "lies" or "misrepresents" their specs on a much larger scale, then I'll be, how should I put this? Enraged beyond comprehensible thought? Yeah, that sounds about right. Some of you guys on the forum seem to be that angry now, and that's understandable, but I prefer to be a little more lenient and give the company a second chance. I hope this scandal causes them to be more cautious in the future or not lie, whatever your stance is.

Just gonna leave this here...I'm sick of all the back and forth. Yes, the card is great, and maybe NVIDIA lied, but just accept some people have different views than you and let this scandal affect your purchasing decisions in the future. Be prepared if you think the company lied, and keep buying its products if you think this isn't a big deal and simply be a little more discerning in the future in benchmarks of newly released products so such things can be avoided.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

I wonder what the rise in return rate is, not the flat return rate.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is spin and that the return rate doubled or something when the news broke.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

I like how for months everyone was talking about how good the 970 performs, all of a sudden everyone talks about vram and ROPs (i don't even know what is it, and i'm sure i'm not the only one, but hey, we know there are less than advertised so we complain, don't we?) and caché.

Since when we give a flying f*ck about caché and rops? Seriously, is everyone going to talk about ROPs and cache and vram when the r9 300 series come out?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

No1 cares about that, all that matters is how well it performs in games, how good you can overclock it and how high it can benchmark. Stop talking like the card is obsolete or something, 2 years ago the gtx 680 was a fucking beast and i saw no1 complain about it having 2gb of vram even though 1080p was a standard.

Nvidia lied, yes, but the card is still flipping awesome, stop complaining and making things bigger than they are because i'm SURE most of you wouldn't even notice the lack of vram, and MUCH LESS ROPs and caché, if this wasn't out.

Move on, this is old news, return your card buy amd or keep it and game on. Chances are, you won't see a bloody difference.

The industry moves forward, games become more demanding, the standard is raised, and what passes the buck one season doesn't the next. Telling everyone to STFU and GTFO while nvidia is still misrepresenting their product on their site is damn well annoying to be honest.

The industry moves forward, games become more demanding, the standard is raised, and what passes the buck one season doesn't the next. Telling everyone to STFU and GTFO while nvidia is still misrepresenting their product on their site is damn well annoying to be honest.

The 970 lives up to today's standard, with new technology and being able to run any game at 1080p and 60fps maxed out (unless it's badly optimized or modded ofcourse).

They lied to us, yeah, and as i said, all we should care about is how the card runs, for some reason some people are really frustrated about nvidia lying to them, seriously, why worry if you can't do anything?

Just move on, NOTHING can be done, all you can do is go get a 290x with the precious 4gb of vram, and as i said, nothing will change when you go and play, chances are: you got a gpu with the same or less performance of a 970 that consumes more and outputs more heat, and you'll realise you never needed the 0.5gb of vram you complained so much about.

Well it's all psicological, moths ago we were all playing maxing out our games and looking at our card in the case feeling like we robbed it because it couldn't be that good for the price, and you know what? Nothing changed, it's still the fucking awesome card it was a month ago before all this crap came out, and that's what people need to understand.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

The 970 lives up to today's standard, with new technology and being able to run any game at 1080p and 60fps maxed out (unless it's badly optimized or modded ofcourse).

They lied to us, yeah, and as i said, all we should care about is how the card runs, for some reason some people are really frustrated about nvidia lying to them, seriously, why worry if you can't do anything?

Just move on, NOTHING can be done, all you can do is go get a 290x with the precious 4gb of vram, and as i said, nothing will change when you go and play, chances are: you got a gpu with the same or less performance of a 970 that consumes more and outputs more heat, and you'll realise you never needed the 0.5gb of vram you complained so much about.

Well it's all psicological, moths ago we were all playing maxing out our games and looking at our card in the case feeling like we robbed it because it couldn't be that good for the price, and you know what? Nothing changed, it's still the fucking awesome card it was a month ago before all this crap came out, and that's what people need to understand.

Dying Light is already capable of pushing the threshold the 970's threshold for 3.5GB in 1080 and 1440p which the card was marketed for, and future games will too. People bought the card thinking that it would last them longer than we know it might now, and not everyone has the expendable income to get a new graphics card on a yearly basis. I'm going to take the side of not shutting up because you people think it's annoying or unnecessary because the issue is still a problem when major manufacturing brands refuse refunds and nvidia states "working as intended."