Official Nvidia GTX 970 Discussion Thread

and now we go round in circles...   I'll leave before it becomes another 2 pages longer and no one any happier.

You aren't going to change my opinion, I'm not gunna change yours. Smart to just drop it. See ya.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

My friend has his 970 at 1.5ghz with water cooling and it took him under an hour. If your 970 is not stable then go RMA it. 

That's the problem, Gigabyte is refusing to accept it as they think I'm trying to RMA it over the ROPS and cache debacle.This is actually why I'm pissed at Nvidia, as their-to be frank-fuck up, is preventing me from getting a replacement for my faulty GTX 970, or at the very least a refund.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

That's the problem, Gigabyte is refusing to accept it as they think I'm trying to RMA it over the ROPS and cache debacle.This is actually why I'm pissed at Nvidia, as their-to be frank-fuck up, is preventing me from getting a replacement for my faulty GTX 970, or at the very least a refund.

Are there any consumer affairs advocates you can get to help? 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

hum. This is why i buy EVGA, their support is AMAZING, i would suggest talking to someone and asking for a manager and telling them the problem and that you want an rma, say you dont care about the 3.5GB fiasco and you want a card that doesent crash, hopefully this helps :)

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Are there any consumer affairs advocates you can get to help? 

I don't know, this is the first time I've even had to do an RMA, and with the most expensive component I've ever bought of all things.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I'm not an engineer. I understand that the last .5GB is, in fact, quite shitty.

That's like you saying something along the lines of "Oh, Lamborghini's new Huracan has a 7-speed gearbox, but the car may or may not stall out on the 7th gear. It's okay though--you can't expect a company as big as Lamborghini to correctly communicate that. Plus, the advertising department isn't full of engineers--they don't know what gears are." It's a completely silly and absurd argument, man.

Nvidia lied. Whether they intended to or not, they lied. A lie is a lie.

That is a horrible fallacy filled example.

Also the definition of a lie: "a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood."

Also the definition of a lie: "a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood."

Economical with the truth: Economy with the truth is popularly used as a euphemism for deceit, whether by volunteering false information (i.e., lying) or by deliberately holding back relevant facts. More literally, it describes a careful use of facts so as not to reveal too much information, as in "speaking carefully".

Half-truth: A half-truth is a deceptive statement that includes some element of truth. The statement might be partly true, the statement may be totally true but only part of the whole truth, or it may employ some deceptive element, such as improper punctuation, or double meaning, especially if the intent is to deceive, evade, blame or misrepresent the truth.

Lying by omission: Also known as a continuing misrepresentation, a lie by omission occurs when an important fact is left out in order to foster a misconception. Lying by omission includes failures to correct pre-existing misconceptions. When the seller of a car declares it has been serviced regularly but does not tell that a fault was reported at the last service, the seller lies by omission. It can be compared to dissimulation.

Lying in trade: The seller of a product or service may advertise untrue facts about the product or service in order to gain sales, especially by competitive advantage. Many countries and states have enacted consumer protection laws intended to combat such fraud. An example is the Illinois Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practices Act  that holds a seller liable for omission of any material fact that the buyer relies upon.

You'll never be able to prove intent, but people can and do argue plausibility. And I, as well as others, find it highly more likely that nvidia thought that the information they did not provide would not be found out by the market. Given that they still have not changed their marketing of their product and are still labeling the specification with a half-truth + half-lie, there is enough bad faith for people to make that assertion.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

I believe @ThatGuyWhoTwirlsHisPen summed that up nicely.

And I'd like to know how that's a horrible example... Ha.

Привет товарищ ))))

-Irrelevant waist of space due to the fact that it only supports my argument-

You'll never be able to prove intent, but people can and do argue plausibility. And I, as well as others, find it highly more likely that nvidia thought that the information they did not provide would not be found out by the market. Given that they still have not changed their marketing of their product and are still labeling the specification with a half-truth + half-lie, there is enough bad faith for people to make that assertion.

It is very much possible to prove intent and once that is done there is a valid argument to be had on reasoning your beliefs as facts. You can argue plausibility all you want but the arguments will still remain nothing more than opinions that can be continually argued as true or false. Also, the irony in your signature is absolutely lovely, though I would fix it if I were you, it makes you look like you can comprehend your own statements.

I believe @ThatGuyWhoTwirlsHisPen summed that up nicely.

And I'd like to know how that's a horrible example... Ha.

If you don't know how your example is bad then explaining it to you would just twist your mind. (I'm not trying to be condescending, just stating)

If you don't know how your example is bad then explaining it to you would just twist your mind. (I'm not trying to be condescending, just stating)

Please, explain to me. I'd love for you to try. Hit me with the best you've got pal. I'm sure it's another petty argument from some 970 fanboy who religiously defends Nvidia products no matter what, no matter how much they rip you off, no matter how much they lie to you.

And it is rather condescending. If you're going to intentionally be an arrogant asshole then don't say in your post that you're not trying to be an arrogant asshole. It really just makes you look like more of an asshole.

Привет товарищ ))))

It is very much possible to prove intent and once that is done there is a valid argument to be had on reasoning your beliefs as facts. You can argue plausibility all you want but the arguments will still remain nothing more than opinions that can be continually argued as true or false. Also, the irony in your signature is absolutely lovely, though I would fix it if I were you, it makes you look like you can comprehend your own statements.

I never implied that the arguments that I make are fact, only that the evidence that is present gives me and others the impression of what is most believable. The purpose of my post was to inform you that "lying" is not a black and white matter that revolves solely around the intent of deception. All I did was provide the definitions for already documented/defined scenarios that are considered lying even without having full intent of deception, and that these definitions are more refined than the base definition of "lying"

If you are going to say something about my signature or about someone else's analogy, then elaborate. Don't sit there and assume that your explanation is understood simply by stating that you think one way and that someone "just wouldn't understand"

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Since then, Nvidia had to admit under great pressure that the specifications of the GeForce GTX 970 is incorrect , the company has yet to comment publicly on possible compensation. 
Nvidia has not apologized to its customers for incorrect specifications and does not want to admit any guilt because this will give its partners an opportunity to ask for material compensation, reports Heise.de. Profit margins of graphics cards makers are pretty low, which means that for them even 1 – 5 per cent return rate could result in losses.

On Twitter Nvidia had announced on January 29, still: ".. Nothing's wrong The GTX 970 is as Intended Which is to say it's amazing"  . "There really is not a memory issue We've designed the GTX 970 like this for a reason. "

The manufacturers in turn are in a dilemma. Unlike some shops that already the GTX 970 with a 224-bit memory interface apply ( for example Alternate ), one can not simply turn without Absegnung Nvidia change the packing specifications, such as a contact told us off the record. Even that would in turn can be interpreted as an admission of guilt Nvidia.

Meanwhile, hope many GTX 970 buyers still for a response from Nvidia. Our request from January 28 to Nvidia, whether they would offer previous GTX 970 owners compensation remained unanswered until now.

The response rates of the GeForce GTX 970 are by the specification scandal at the individual producers at two- to three-digit range. That's according to a manufacturer contact still so little that it is not economically hardly relevant. Some retailers are already taking GTX 970 cards on your own back.

nv1-fe72266982c199d1.jpeg

Source : http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/GTX-970-Skandal-Ruecklaufquoten-gering-Nvidia-will-Schuldeingestaendnis-vermeiden-2543472.html

and 

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/nvidia-will-not-admit-guilt-of-the-geforce-gtx-970-scandal/

*This is just for the purpose of information, there's nothing that hasn't been discussed already, please do not start a flame-war and get this thread locked. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I just want my money back, and they won't give it to me. I'm very disappointed in Nvidia.

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

I just want my money back, and they won't give it to me. I'm very disappointed in Nvidia.

most places are letting you return it

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Worst case scenario: We have amazing cards and we got already a free AAA game when we bought it

Best case scenario: We get ethier money back, or another AAA game, AND still an amazing card.

People that returned it/try to return it are just fools.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

Since then, Nvidia had to admit under great pressure that the specifications of the GeForce GTX 970 is incorrect , the company has yet to comment publicly on possible compensation. 

Nvidia has not apologized to its customers for incorrect specifications and does not want to admit any guilt because this will give its partners an opportunity to ask for material compensation, reports Heise.de. Profit margins of graphics cards makers are pretty low, which means that for them even 1 – 5 per cent return rate could result in losses.

On Twitter Nvidia had announced on January 29, still: ".. Nothing's wrong The GTX 970 is as Intended Which is to say it's amazing"  . "There really is not a memory issue We've designed the GTX 970 like this for a reason. "

The manufacturers in turn are in a dilemma. Unlike some shops that already the GTX 970 with a 224-bit memory interface apply ( for example Alternate ), one can not simply turn without Absegnung Nvidia change the packing specifications, such as a contact told us off the record. Even that would in turn can be interpreted as an admission of guilt Nvidia.

Meanwhile, hope many GTX 970 buyers still for a response from Nvidia. Our request from January 28 to Nvidia, whether they would offer previous GTX 970 owners compensation remained unanswered until now.

The response rates of the GeForce GTX 970 are by the specification scandal at the individual producers at two- to three-digit range. That's according to a manufacturer contact still so little that it is not economically hardly relevant. Some retailers are already taking GTX 970 cards on your own back.

nv1-fe72266982c199d1.jpeg

Source : http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/GTX-970-Skandal-Ruecklaufquoten-gering-Nvidia-will-Schuldeingestaendnis-vermeiden-2543472.html

and 

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/nvidia-will-not-admit-guilt-of-the-geforce-gtx-970-scandal/

*This is just for the purpose of information, there's nothing that hasn't been discussed already, please do not start a flame-war and get this thread locked. 

pls post this on the existing 970 thread... If you want Linus/Luke to see this for the WAN show just @ tag them

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

Seriously guys

And yes I will try as hard as I can to make this appear in every thread involving the 970 issue.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

most places are letting you return it

I've contacted everyone, and they all have not contacted me. Has anyone actually took it back, or am i just hearing rumors?

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

I've contacted everyone, and they all have not contacted me. Has anyone actually took it back, or am i just hearing rumors?

who did you buy it from? i know amazon is taking them back

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Don't quote large OPs

oh so that's the new trending thing to hate on... *witch hunt ensues*

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

Everyone expected save of face. Don't necessarily know how this qualifies as 'news', isn't this what was already known? These statements look like the ones I've already seen.

Why would anyone design a card with flaws???

Disappointing. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case