Official Nvidia GTX 970 Discussion Thread

Sorry but what is the purpose of this thread then? If there are no news, and everything has already been discussed before then this is simply a repost.

what i meant was , don't start flame wars is all

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

...because it tastes bad? How about refunding a car, is that better? "You don't take it to the manufacturer you take it back to the lot/retailer"

So.. why you want to return the car back to retailer? Is it because of QC issues or because the car company mis advertised the car? Retailer won't accept refund if the car company mis advertised their car and didn't call for a recall. Am i wrong?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

So.. why you want to return the car back to retailer? Is it because of QC issues or because the car company mis advertised the car? Retailer won't accept refund if the car company mis advertised their car and didn't call for a recall. Am i wrong?

What's with all the questions? Am I on trial? Don't ace attorney this shit, it's just an analogy!

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

So was it ever confirmed (with links, images etc) that they won't be releasing drivers to try and adjust/help the problem? Last I heard they were looking into creating a driver that would let things access that last 0.5GB of VRAM faster than it does now.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

So was it ever confirmed (with links, images etc) that they won't be releasing drivers to try and adjust/help the problem? Last I heard they were looking into creating a driver that would let things access that last 0.5GB of VRAM faster than it does now.

The employee who said that there would drivers was on the geforce forum. Nvidia released a statement denying that any driver would be made specifically for the 970 "issue" (I put issue in quotes because Nvidia says "working as intended")

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2876802/nvidia-plans-geforce-gtx-970-driver-update-for-memory-performance-concerns.html

There's also no real plan in place for Nvidia to help with refunds if a customer should desire. All of that lies in the retailer/brand manufacturer.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

has anyone seen or can any one link to anything that shows the memory "issue" affecting the card in a real world senario, ie a game?

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

The employee who said that there would drivers was on the geforce forum. Nvidia released a statement denying that any driver would be made specifically for the 970 "issue" (I put issue in quotes because Nvidia says "working as intended")

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2876802/nvidia-plans-geforce-gtx-970-driver-update-for-memory-performance-concerns.html

There's also no real plan in place for Nvidia to help with refunds if a customer should desire. All of that lies in the retailer/brand manufacturer.

Well that is heavily disappointing. :(

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

honestly, throw me a free game and we can call it good. i dont use the full frame buffer anyway so it doesnt really effect me and by the time 1080P gaming takes the full 4GB with stock settings, i will probably have upgraded my GPU anyway

I sometimes wonder if people would ever have any doubt in their cards before hearing this. Did you ever hear about 970 users complaining? Nope they were mostly all happy (I was one of those users before I got my 980). Now that this has surfaced, people who were previously happy are now doubting their cards (lol) and wanting refunds. I understand it's the principle, but still I think many are over reacting. You still have a kick ass card, technically doesn't it still have 4GB? It just can't use the last 0.5 as well? Something like that idk...I would say if you were satisfied with your card BEFORE this surfaced, you should still be now as well. If not it's a bit ridiculous to say you are now unhappy when you didn't notice any issues before hearing of this.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

Jeez guys, stop already with this Nvidia thing.

The card does have 4GB after all. 0.5GB of it is slow, indeed, but it does have 4GB of VRAM. They didn't lie about it. Returning a perfectly functioning AMAZING card makes you an idiot.

I don't think I would even be able to return it here. I haven't able to return some products with actual problems, but one with no problem at all.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

People returning these cards are fucking idiots.

Returning based on thinking it only has 3.5GB of VRAM, then sure I agree with you, but when people are returning their cards because Nvidia did not disclose this information then you calling consumers "fucking idiots" is pretty ignorant thing to say.

They lied about the VRAM, ROP, L2 Cache and SM's. If Nvidia was upfront about all of this from the beginning then there wouldn't be this kind of backlash, but no, Nvidia lied to consumers for whatever reason and people wanting to return their cards based on this false information should not be labeled as "fucking idiots".

I bought a 970 last December, I have been enjoying it so very much, but every single time I see "Nvidia" or anything related to them I get a very bad taste in my mouth.

So you know what, I'm going to contact Amazon tomorrow and try to have my 970 returned. I can use my old 7870 for the time being until either Nvidia comes out and says they fucked up or until AMD's 300 series releases, and I bet everyone knows which one is going to come first.

I'd rather be a "fucking idiot" than someone who defends these liars.

Have a good day.

I could understand the VRAM "issue" but it is true that they misled consumers with the rest of the details, which they continue (I believe) to display as its specs on their website. They may not have meant to purposely misled their customers but continuing to keep untrue specs up and refusing to acknowledge the "damage" they have caused and all of the unsatisfied customers is a truly ignorant and unprofessional move.

One word: lawsuit.

I'm sure that if that were likely they would be doing something to prevent people from suing them.

has anyone seen or can any one link to anything that shows the memory "issue" affecting the card in a real world senario, ie a game?

I would tell you that I've seen mine have problems when I play Dying Light, Skyrim, and rarely on watch dogs. The apologists would disagree, but personal experience trumps what they say. Go load up skyrim with graphics improvement mods on one, and watch it drop frames the split second you go over 3.5gb. Not that hard of a result to replicate.

Fact: Nvidia lied about the card. It is NOT a 4gb card, when you go over 3.5gb of Vram, the performance of the card drops like a bowling ball thrown out of a plane.

No one, will ever convince me that this was a "miscommunication", the idea is just complete and utter bullshit. Better explanation is "company did what companies do, got caught trying to get away with whatever they could, tells customers to suck it".

I'm sure that if that were likely they would be doing something to prevent people from suing them.

Nothing they can do really, they flat out misrepresented the performance and specifications of the card.

I sometimes wonder if people would ever have any doubt in their cards before hearing this. Did you ever hear about 970 users complaining? Nope they were mostly all happy (I was one of those users before I got my 980). Now that this has surfaced, people who were previously happy are now doubting their cards (lol) and wanting refunds. I understand it's the principle, but still I think many are over reacting. You still have a kick ass card, technically doesn't it still have 4GB? It just can't use the last 0.5 as well? Something like that idk...I would say if you were satisfied with your card BEFORE this surfaced, you should still be now as well. If not it's a bit ridiculous to say you are now unhappy when you didn't notice any issues before hearing of this.

No, it does not "technically still have 4gb". Going over 3.5 detracts from the gaming experience.

Yea, I was satisfied with my card. But knowing that they intentionally handicapped it, and lied, kinda ruins that.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Nothing they can do really, they flat out misrepresented the performance and specifications of the card.

I know a lawsuit would and is justified, I just mean someone actually filing one and it working out for their benefit is highly unlikely. If it were, I believe Nvidia would be doing something. Bribing people maybe, like what happened with AC: Unity.

I know a lawsuit would and is justified, I just mean someone actually filing one and it working out for their benefit is highly unlikely. If it were, I believe Nvidia would be doing something. Bribing people maybe, like what happened with AC: Unity.

True, if only because our legal system is a broken mess where whoever has more money to burn wins

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I'm sorry for the expression, but they fucked up. Nothing they can do will undo this, specially because they took money from people - and the law is clear.

At least in Europe it's a easy win, and would probably get the product banned until this was fixed.

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/2tu86z/discussion_i_benchmarked_gtx_970s_in_sli_at_1440p/

True, if only because our legal system is a broken mess where whoever has more money to burn wins

True, true. But I would also chop it down to people either being too lazy to do it or not giving a fack enough to go through with it.

I'm sorry for the expression, but they fucked up. Nothing they can do will undo this, specially because they took money from people - and the law is clear.

At least in Europe it's a easy win, and would probably get the product banned until this was fixed.

See my above post. :)

Throw enough texture mods and you'll hit the barrier between 3.5GB and 4GB where the card tanks.

Some people might've upgraded from 780 to 970 on the cheap (since the only difference you'd pay is the difference between what you get from selling the card and what you'll pay for buying a new one) and they only get 512mb extra ram instead of 1gb.

970 was supposed to be pretty much 80% of a 980 in terms of everything but raw processing power, and not things like VRAM. The 980 in that context looks like a silly card; it'd be the best card for sure, yes, but only attractive for those who want the minor performance boost without a care in the world for value and a support for the pointless 4-way-SLI, otherwise the 970 would be the way to go. Especially in 2-way SLI.

Regadless, everyone knows what has happened already around here. There are some retailers who will absolutely accept the returns without question, and some who will not.

The way how nVidia handled this bothers me the most. I understand that they don't want people to be under the impression that the card is working "wrong" and return their working cards - they work as designed, not as advertised, and there are already misconceptions of that in this thread - but they deserve all the flak that they can get for this. Just now if OpenCL support would come to Cycles so I wouldn't have to use nVidia for Cuda...

Yes ... Nvidia fucked up...

But the gtx 970 is still a great card ..

Its not that of a big deal for me .

Yes , they advertised incorrect specs , yes they won't apologize .. But .. It doesn't matter !!

The internet is butthurt. !

As Luke and Linus said .. The internet has " amplified" this matter .

If this is a big deal to you , congratulations ! You are officially butthurt !!

I think this forum should award a butthurt badge !

And the people who are trying to return their 970's , either they are just " playing along " with those who are returning their cards , or are just douches.

Yeah ! We get it ...nvidia is bad , nvidia is worse than UniSoft , .....

OK OK !!! We got it !!

ENOIGH ALREADY !

How to make your droids snappier:

The ultimate laptop buying guide :

Yes ... Nvidia fucked up...

But the gtx 970 is still a great card ..

Its not that of a big deal for me .

Yes , they advertised incorrect specs , yes they won't apologize .. But .. It doesn't matter !!

The internet is butthurt. !

As Luke and Linus said .. The internet has " amplified" this matter .

If this is a big deal to you , congratulations ! You are officially butthurt !!

I think this forum should award a butthurt badge !

And the people who are trying to return their 970's , either they are just " playing along " with those who are returning their cards , or are just douches.

Yeah ! We get it ...nvidia is bad , nvidia is worse than UniSoft , .....

OK OK !!! We got it !!

ENOUGH ALREADY !

How to make your droids snappier:

The ultimate laptop buying guide :

Actually I as thinking more about some organizations filing the lawsuits, not a single person. Just fill a complain explaining the problem to the proper authoritys and they will handle it.