Police expand concerns about Waze app, say it interferes with speeding tickets

dv501-72_2013_162028_high.jpg?zoom=2&cro

The police seem to not like the fact that this app exists for use by the general public it seems. I know its a point of contention that people have access to near instantaneous reports with respect to accidents and speed cameras. 

I'm of the opinion that the police forces need to spend less time worrying about how to hand out speeding tickets and more time patrolling the roads for actually dangerous drivers. We've had this issue in our city too, the City runs our program and they get awfully butthurt when people challenge their claims about "increasing driver safety" and whatever else to justify the expense of photo radar programs. 

Then again, they'll do anything to protect their golden parachutes from being plastered with holes. Instead of saying "for the children" they're saying "for the greater good". Excellent improvement, isn't it? 

WASHINGTON – A law enforcement campaign to compel Google Inc. to disable a feature in its popular Waze traffic app that lets drivers warn others about nearby police activity shifted Wednesday when a sheriffs’ organization openly complained that the app not only puts officers’ lives at risk, it also interferes with the ability to write speeding tickets.

The National Sheriffs’ Association, which had focused its complaints about Waze on police safety after the fatal shootings of two New York City police officers in December, expanded its campaign in a new statement criticizing Google’s software as hampering the use of speed traps. The trade association said radar guns and other speed enforcement techniques have reduced highways deaths.

“This app will hamper those activities by locating law enforcement officers and puts the public at risk,” the group said.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1800136/police-expand-concerns-about-waze-app-say-it-interferes-with-speeding-tickets/

"For the greater good!"

Kind of reminds me of this cop. We all know how great he was... :P

Police move around so much in Cali, police normally aren't there by the time I pass their reported location in waze. Waze won't stop it I think.

post-116183-0-13672100-1422567123.jpg

Atom14 [Corsair] i5-4690K | Corsair H110i GT | MSI Z97S SLI Krait | 16 GB Team Group DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB X2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980Ti

Corsair KXX RGB Keyboard Cover Mod Make your own using my templates!

worry about the people who are actually driving terribly rather than worry about people who are going 10 mph over the speed limit imo in a straight line...

i mean if someone is driving so fast and weaving between traffic that is actually a problem and could cause an accident. but if there is like no traffic and people are driving a bit faster than usual because the road is empty, i dont see a problem with it.

And police should stop "camping" the interstate. Usually when there is a terrible driver nearly causing accidents it is in town where I live anyway.

Waze to avoid speeding tickets is not a big deal imo. If the police woouldnt be so ridiculous like they are today then this wouldnt be a problem. the streets need to be cleaned of suspicious activity rather than writing tickets to speeder as well...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Waze is great! Speed limits are a silly thing honestly.

Speed limits are actually a good thing (we don't want some *sshole flying down the highway at 140 mph because he thinks his shiny bimmer makes him invincible (I've never done anything like that, of course!). Any minor mistake can cause deaths).

Though I agree that speed limits being as stupidly low as they are right now is a silly thing.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Theres been apps like Waze basically ever since iphone came out but i dont think they ever really picked up but still they didnt complain about it. I like this because how they probs make all there money is there bs tickets and its stopping that :)

In  Germany, only the passengers are allowed to use such apps in the car. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Fact:

Speeding tickets are meant as a punishment for breaking the law. Not as a source of revenue.

You are a uniformed public servant, the public has a right to know where you are and what you are doing at all times you are on duty, suck it the fuck up.

Also, we have the legal right to record you when you are in the commission of your duties, this is nothing more than that.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

That is such a Whats App rip off. 

WhatsApp is a chat program.

Waze is a GPS program that crowdsources things like traffic jams, incidents, photo radar spots, red light spots and other information. 

Speed limits are a silly thing honestly.

Seriously?

Surely you must be kidding

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Same in the united states. You're not allowed to use a handheld device at all when driving

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Just for a talking point, speed limits have been proven in some cases to correlate directly with the number of car on car and car on person accidents. In new york where they lowered the speed limit by 10mph the amount of pedestrians and cars in accidents dropped dramatically. Now obviously that was in the city and isn't necessarily any indication of non-city locations but it's good to keep in mind. 

Governments like the money they make from giving out speed tickets. It's why self driving cars will never be a big thing. Insurance companies have too much influence on government and revenue brought in by fines is huge.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

A.C.A.B.

In EU countries all they do is give speedong tickets and other nonsense to punish drivers and show how assholes they are.

I hope this app stays here forever !

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Seriously?

Surely you must be kidding

There are tons of actual sources and studies that show the speed limits are nothing but problems the majority of the time, even Linus talked about it, way in the past.

If any limits went tighter the last years and it's a bad way to prevent accidents. Most of the time, people will go at a quick pace if they are allowed too, but nothing ludicrous. As long as the main crossroads are controlled it's perfectly fine.

Many European countries have very high limits (over 100Km/h) and sometimes highways don't even have limits at all.

Just think for yourself, how fast would you go if there are no limits? But knowing there are crossings, accesses, red lights, other cars and people.

Speed limits are actually a good thing (we don't want some *sshole flying down the highway at 140 mph because he thinks his shiny bimmer makes him invincible (I've never done anything like that, of course!). Any minor mistake can cause deaths).

Though I agree that speed limits being as stupidly low as they are right now is a silly thing.

lol to shinny bimmer. Back in 2010 when i got my 99 Camaro SS i was driving down I-4 from Tampa to Winter Haven Fl and i remember a shinny new farari pulled up next to me the interstate was empty. He drops 2 gears and pulls 3 cars ahead so i dropped from 6th down to 3rd and smoked him by the time i slowed down i was doing 188mph easy and that farari was still trying his hardest to catch me but i had him by 6+ links easy.

There are tons of actual sources and studies that show the speed limits are nothing but problems the majority of the time, even Linus talked about it, way in the past.

If any limits went tighter the last years and it's a bad way to prevent accidents. Most of the time, people will go at a quick pace if they are allowed too, but nothing ludicrous. As long as the main crossroads are controlled it's perfectly fine.

Many European countries have very high limits (over 100Km/h) and sometimes highways don't even have limits at all.

Just think for yourself, how fast would you go if there are no limits? But knowing there are crossings, accesses, red lights, other cars and people.

Interesting claims, however, you should post a few of those "tons of actual sources and studies" to verify these claims.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

lol to shinny bimmer. Back in 2010 when i got my 99 Camaro SS i was driving down I-4 from Tampa to Winter Haven Fl and i remember a shinny new farari pulled up next to me the interstate was empty. He drops 2 gears and pulls 3 cars ahead so i dropped from 6th down to 3rd and smoked him by the time i slowed down i was doing 188mph easy and that farari was still trying his hardest to catch me but i had him by 6+ links easy.

What kind of Ferrari? They aren't all 200+ MPH Super cars.

Also was your Camaro modded in any way? Most specs I've seen say that a SS Camaro from 99-02 era will top out in the 160's.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On interstates if there were no speed limits id run on average 100-120mph since in most sports cars such as my old 99 Camaro SS that speed was easily controllable and if anything happened with my highly upgraded suspension and braking system slowing down or avoiding something would be easy to do while still maintaining full control over my vehicle. I've tested it on a 10 mile straight away before with no one else on the road I took the car up to its limit which was 207mph and it was still fairly controllable but not enough for me to want to run that fast all the time. So id say 100-120 would be where id be comfortable at.

I thought the point of speed cameras was to slow people down in the first place, not to wait for them to do it and then punish them. It's almost as shitty as VAC.

This is just a guess but I'm pretty sure the problem with people driving unsafely is because the driver has chosen to drive unsafely.  It's got nothing to do with speed limits.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

"...it also interferes with the ability to write speeding tickets."

Yea, good luck convincing Google that this is a problem they should concern themselves with. It'd be pretty funny if Google tried discretely promoting the app somehow.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

What kind of Ferrari? They aren't all 200+ MPH Super cars.

Also was your Camaro modded in any way? Most specs I've seen say that a SS Camaro from 99-02 era will top out in the 160's.

I honestly dont know what model Ferrari i remember it had a body style similar to the Lambo Gallardo im not into supercars so i honestly dont know what it was im a muscle car nut. Yes my camaro was highly modded.

I had an LS1 bottom end with heads from an LS6(04-08 Z06 corvette) along with the intake manifold/throttle body from the same vette.

American racing long tube headers

Corsa prototype exhaust

full under drive pully kit

had a modified 0 drag AC compressor clutch which disengaged the clutch 100% rather than the stock 70% when the AC was off(mod only gains 2-4 horses but only costs about $80 so it was worth it)

had larger fuel injectors

had a custom cam made for it was essentially the LS1 hotcam but was configured for the LS6 heads

Installed the rear diff from a 02 WS6 Trans-AM with a beefier chunk dont remember the ratio that was used my buddy did that one for me

had the intake manifold, heads, and throttle body port matched

did full head work with 2mm oversized titanium valves and retainers 

stage 3 clutch/pressure plate

7 pound aluminum flywheel

had my transmission redone to handle up to 900hp I dont know anything about tranny work so i left that up to the speed shop

moved the battery from the front to the rear

The suspension work was done to the car before I purchased it but it had Tien stage 3 coilovers with full X frame connectors and bracing(basically built to handle 1000+hp)

and finally had the car tuned by Titan Motorsport in Orlando when it was all said and done i was planting 689hp to the wheels and was running 9.50-9.90 at Orlando Speedworld on Nitto drag radials pulling .560-.580 lights in a 6 speed stick.

And to answer your next question YES this was my daily driver...

And right after I got the car I took it on a top speed run to see where it would max out before any mods besides the suspension/brakes which were done before I purchased it and the car topped out at 174 stock(with the exception of the factory SLP upgrades which was basically and upgraded intake/intake manifold)

I honestly dont know what model Ferrari i remember it had a body style similar to the Lambo Gallardo im not into supercars so i honestly dont know what it was im a muscle car nut. Yes my camaro was highly modded.

I had an LS1 bottom end with heads from an LS6(04-08 Z06 corvette) along with the intake manifold/throttle body from the same vette.

American racing long tube headers

Corsa prototype exhaust

full under drive pully kit

had a modified 0 drag AC compressor clutch which disengaged the clutch 100% rather than the stock 70% when the AC was off(mod only gains 2-4 horses but only costs about $80 so it was worth it)

had larger fuel injectors

had a custom cam made for it was essentially the LS1 hotcam but was configured for the LS6 heads

Installed the rear diff from a 02 WS6 Trans-AM with a beefier chunk dont remember the ratio that was used my buddy did that one for me

had the intake manifold, heads, and throttle body port matched

did full head work with 2mm oversized titanium valves and retainers 

stage 3 clutch/pressure plate

7 pound aluminum flywheel

had my transmission redone to handle up to 900hp I dont know anything about tranny work so i left that up to the speed shop

moved the battery from the front to the rear

The suspension work was done to the car before I purchased it but it had Tien stage 3 coilovers with full X frame connectors and bracing(basically built to handle 1000+hp)

and finally had the car tuned by Titan Motorsport in Orlando when it was all said and done i was planting 689hp to the wheels and was running 9.50-9.90 at Orlando Speedworld on Nitto drag radials pulling .560-.580 lights in a 6 speed stick.

And to answer your next question YES this was my daily driver...

Nice setup. I'm also quite a fan of muscle cars (Though I appreciate sports and super cars too).

Jesus if that was your daily driver, you must have gone through gas like an alcoholic goes through a 24 of beer.