[FAKE] Rumor - G-Sync on any DP1.2 monitor

aDisltu

Hey, Guys,

according to an article on gamenab.net (don`t know if the source ir trustworthy). You can enable G-syn on any monitor using modded drivers:

Why the modded drivers can make the G-sync work ? The answer is : Bypassing the G-sync Module requirement. Like I said G-sync is a Licensed Adaptive-Sync by NVIDIA. The G-sync Module was never needed but NVIDIA needs to sell a License to make more money.

Which Monitors are compatible with the G-sync Modded Drivers ?

All the external monitors that include DP 1.2 (past 2010) and all the Laptops that include eDP.

Source: http://gamenab.net/2015/01/26/truth-about-the-g-sync-marketing-module-nvidia-using-vesa-adaptive-sync-technology-freesync/

I have no way to test this, bet if some does please post your findings.

100% Certain this is just plain wrong.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

You know what, I take back what I said. I am only 90% sure it's wrong, I am open to it being true. I wouldn't put it past any company to mislead the consumer. I do have a laptop with a 650M but I just don't really care enough to download a modded driver to test it. Why does this seem to work only with laptops? Is it because there is only a modded driver for laptops? Anyway, if this works on any monitor with DP 1.2 from 2010 onwards doesn't it make G-Sync better than Freesync which is limited to new monitors?

EDIT:

Well if it is true that Nvidia use adaptive-sync, that means that it will only work on laptops then since adaptive-sync isn’t available for external displays unless they use DP 1.2a introduced last year.

Saw that, sorry for my lack of understanding for this lol.

Even though the article said 

All the external monitors that include DP 1.2 (past 2010) and all the Laptops that include eDP.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i will try this, but im not 100% certain.

Get back to us on that one, and whether or not the modded driver is real lol..

@aDisltu Could you edit OP so it looks more like a thread that belongs here, it looks like a question. Put in some quotes from the article and have a summary of what it is about. Clearer title would be 10/10 also.

Get back to us on that one, and whether or not the modded driver is real lol..

@aDisltu Could you edit OP so it looks more like a thread that belongs here, it looks like a question. Put in some quotes from the article and have a summary of what it is about. Clearer title would be 10/10 also.

Did my best. I don`t spend much time on forums so please don`t judge me harsly :)

If this works; first thing I will disable is my laptop's autoupdate.

And fuck Geforce Experience too.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

If this works; first thing I will disable is my laptop's autoupdate.

And fuck Geforce Experience too.

My Geforce Experience is a year old, because i'm unable to update it, I can't even open it, it always shows error messages.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-4690K | Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: Kingston Savage 4x4GB | GPU: Asus Strix GTX970 | PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 Evo | Storage: MX100 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 evo | Case: NZXT H440

Does this work???

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

I am 95% sure this is some sort of a hoax because

1. the scaler needs to be 1.2a compatible for adaptive sync
  2. it also needs to support the technology in FIRMWARE, the gpu itself can do very little if anything about that
  3. gsync (and with it adaptive refresh rate) came out in 2014? how the hell would scaler makers anticipate this in 2010

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

i dunno... maybe....cuz nvidia is currently working to bring gsync to laptops.... without a module, with the amd method instead

maybe it actually can be possible, but i wouldnt count on it.

I want one of the new big, wide, freesync monitors anyway... that work out of the box

If this is true, then why are people not outraged at Nvidia? If this is real, then that means Nvidia was charging everyone an extra $100-200 more for their g-sync moduled monitors for absolutely no reason other than being greedy. Wow!

With Nvidia lying about the 970 specs of ROPs, Cache, and the amount of functional RAM, and now this, can I suggest... Nvidia digging? ;)

PC: CPU - FX 8350 @4.5 Ghz | GPU - 3x R9 290 @1100 core/1300 memory | Motherboard - Asus Crosshair V Formula Z | RAM - 16 GB Mushkin Redline 1866 Mhz | PSU - Corsair AX 860w | SSD - ADATA SX900 256 GB | HDD - Seagate 3TB 7200RPM | CPU Cooler - Noctua NH D-14 | Case - Cooler Master HAF Stacker 935

Peripherals: Monitor - ASUS VN248H-P IPS | Keyboard - Corsair K70 | Mouse - Corsair M65 | Headphones - ASUS ROG Orion Pro

If this is true, then why are people not outraged at Nvidia? If this is real, then that means Nvidia was charging everyone an extra $100-200 more for their g-sync moduled monitors for absolutely no reason other than being greedy. Wow!

With Nvidia lying about the 970 specs of ROPs, Cache, and the amount of functional RAM, and now this, can I suggest... Nvidia digging? ;)

because we do not know whether this is real, and by being just a little bit knowledgeable about the technology, i can be pretty much certain it isnt (for desktop, eDP was known to do that forever)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

I tried it after an DDU uninstall with a 970GTX (3.5Gb edition) via Displayport on a BenQ XL2720Z firmware version 2.. and it did not work. But it looks like that 3D monitors are not supported at the moment.

Quit with the digging shit, jesus fucking christ.

because we do not know whether this is real, and by being just a little bit knowledgeable about the technology, i can be pretty much certain it isnt (for desktop, eDP was known to do that forever)

And as you pointed out, this article is mostly wishful thinking instead of actual thought.

There's a small link to change themes in the bottom left of the forum. You can just select your whole post and make sure the font and background colors are set to "automatic" and you'll be fine. The "Remove Formatting" button also works.

I was reading about this earlier, there is very little chance it will give the same benefits as having an actual G-Sync monitor with the module.

The article is basically saying G-Sync is nothing but Adaptive V-Sync, which is not at all true. Adaptive sync is just V-Sync with an on/off toggle, G-Sync forces the monitor to refresh at the GPU's framerate.

There was a thread about this in the Displays subforum, Glenwing posted some good info there;

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299222-is-nvidia-g-sync-a-scam/?p=4066085

I am rather doubt full, for reasons that @LukaP already stated. But it would still be nice of it would be true

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

I would be nice if someone confirmed (or denied) it.

owls are awesome

I am extremely skeptical about this, but it would be an interesting trick.

The reason it seems so improbable is because of the same reason that "Freesync" didn't release right away, the scalars built into monitors might adhere to VESA standards, but adaptive sync is an "optional" add on to the standards. This is why we have had to wait nearly a year after it was demoed to see screens start to be announced (or leak). When it comes down to it, the functionality simply is not there to use adaptive sync on 1.2 (non-a) screens. There was no reason for the manufacturers to add in an optional feature that (at the time) nothing was going to use, it was just added cost.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

I am 95% sure this is some sort of a hoax because

1. the scaler needs to be 1.2a compatible for adaptive sync
  2. it also needs to support the technology in FIRMWARE, the gpu itself can do very little if anything about that
  3. gsync (and with it adaptive refresh rate) came out in 2014? how the hell would scaler makers anticipate this in 2010

The only thing in the entire article that makes a shred of sense is the part about eDP.

dynamic-refresh rate had been around with eDP since 2009, which is true, however it was a rarely utilized part of eDP since it was shown as a power saving feature.

AMD did at one point demonstrate FreeSync on displays that conformed to eDP, before they had FreeSync monitors ready.

AMD pushed dynamic-refresh rate from eDP to DP 1.2a so that they could dynamically alter refresh rate on the desktop side.

So if laptops that conform to eDP standards have displays capable of dynamic refresh rates, and all they lacked in previous years was software to control the dynamic refresh rate, then there might be something to the idea that a driver mod could enable something to the effect of FreeSync/GSync on laptops.

However the idea that this mod could enable Gsync/FreeSync on DP1.1/DP1.2 displays seems ridiculous.

(quote in which the author of the article responds to a comment on his site)

Take time to read between the line on this pdf file http://www.vesa.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/ICCE-Presentation-on-VESA-DisplayPort.pdfpage 31-32 adaptive-sync is just a name, , adaptive-sync was not effective yet (then again is algorithm to control the frame)

The same used for frame sequential 3D monitor.

We just change the way to execute the process.

Read the pdf, you will inderstand why it’s possible on DP 1.2 and could be on DP 1.1 too (AMD already making Freesync drivers for it) Intel already exploited this part too.

This is not new, the technology was already here but don’t ask me why nobody wanna to release it yet, probably like someone said, capitalism, we just give you a little bit, everytime to get hungry
Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552