Mini-News: Windows 10 January Build made available ahead of time - Check out the known issues

GoodBytes

Note:
As they were many Windows 10 threads due to the recent Microsoft I could not find a proper fit that will inform everyone, for this major new build, I am posting it as mini-news, and act as such with details. Mods, feel free to move it, if you desire, if you see a best fit.

January 21st what an exciting days, where Microsoft showed the next major build of Widows 10 Preview for Windows Insiders. Sadly, they said that the build would be only made available next week. But, Microsoft made is available early. It is now available as we speak.

As Microsoft mentioned, the build published won't contain everything demonstrated at the press event, many things are still too early for sharing, but will come later on as updates.

Microsoft shares the build known problems, and of course, are working to fix them.

* After installing this build, you may see a boot selection menu each time you reboot your PC. This is because a bug where a second boot option is persisted to uninstall the Windows 10 Technical Preview and roll back to the previous OS installed. When you get to this screen, if you do nothing it will automatically boot to the Windows 10 Technical Preview within 30 seconds by default or you can choose it on your own. Don’t worry, this behavior is only temporary.

* Xbox Live enabled games that require sign-in will not launch correctly. If you see the below dialog box the game requires Xbox Live sign-in. A fix for this will be distributed via WU shortly after the release of Build 9926.

* Battery icon shows on lock screen of PCs without batteries.

* Tiles on the Start menu show truncated app names (such as the Windows Feedback app).

* Remote Desktop has some painting issues that result in tiled pixelation.

* Connected Standby enabled devices like Surface Pro 3 may experience shorter than expected battery life.

* In Cortana, reminders can’t be edited and more complex reminders might not get created. The first reminder you create in Cortana in this build might not pop up, but subsequent ones will. Completed reminders also don’t move to the History page in Cortana’s Notebook.

* The Music app will disappear if minimized within 16 seconds of launch. Just leave it in the foreground for 20 seconds or so and it should work just fine.

* Occasionally, the Start Menu is improperly registered and will fail to launch.

As for Cortana specifically:

* Unable to edit a reminder – once a reminder is created, you cannot change it.

* "Sorry, I couldn't create that. Please try again later." – you may get this error if you try to create complex reminders, like reminders with a specific location.

* If you turn Cortana off and then on again, reminders won’t work – the can be solved by signing out and signing in again, or restarting your device.

* When a reminder completes, it does not show up in Cortana’s History Notebook.

To get the latest build be very sure that you have the latest Windows Updates installed. Then as always, to avoid conflicts problem, uninstall your Anti-virus if any (Windows Defender is fine), and then:

1. Go to PC Settings
  2. Go to Update & Recovery section
  3. Then go under Preview Builds section
  4. and click on the Check or Download button (depending if Windows has already detected the new build or not). Keep in mind that there is no progress bar on the download or information on the process. Do not close PC Settings. Just leave it there. Once it is downloaded you'll see a Install button. As the download is over 2GB, it will take time.
  5. Once install: Enjoy! You have to enjoy. :P

Source 1: http://www.neowin.net/news/known-issues-in-windows-10-january-preview-build-9926
Source 2: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_cortana/known-issues-with-cortana-reminders/6b1b15fc-d456-41b6-8dc1-b33c4ae9d110

I would like to add, if you are using it as your main OS, be sure to backup your stuff before hand,.

If you are new to Windows 10, keep in mind that the visuals, and features aren't final yet.

If you are not part of Windows Insider program to enjoy Windows 10 Preview (beta), you can join here: https://insider.windows.com/

It is free, but you need to be 18 years of age or older, due to the high telemetry data collecting being performed, and understand the dangers of using a beta OS, and the reliability issue it entails.

@GoodBytes do you have a list of new features for the new build? I can't remember if there's another thread about feature changes in Build 9926.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

@GoodBytes do you have a list of new features for the new build? I can't remember if there's another thread about feature changes in Build 9926.

i dont know the whole changelog but it has almost everything shown 2 days ago expect spartan and xbox to pc streaming

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Lead_1.JPG?itok=uV5bVOqK

Well that was quick...I didn't think it would be until later next week, but hell kudos for Microsoft for the expedience. Windows 10 is looking better and better everytime MS shows it off (mostly anyway).Can't wait to try this out once my WoWS beta finishes downloading.

Build 9926 includes a brand new user-interface, Cortana, new Modern UI apps and many more new features announced at Microsoft’s January event. If you're running build 9879, you can update directly through PC settings to this new build

Known issues:

Here is Microsoft’s list of known issues:

• After installing this build, you may see a boot selection menu each time you reboot your PC. This is because a bug where a second boot option is persisted to uninstall the Windows 10 Technical Preview and roll back to the previous OS installed. When you get to this screen, if you do nothing it will automatically boot to the Windows 10 Technical Preview within 30 seconds by default or you can choose it on your own. Don’t worry, this behavior is only temporary.
  • Xbox Live enabled games that require sign-in will not launch correctly. If you see the below dialog box the game requires Xbox Live sign-in. A fix for this will be distributed via WU shortly after the release of Build 9926.
  • Battery icon shows on lock screen of PCs without batteries.
  • Tiles on the Start menu show truncated app names (such as the Windows Feedback app).
  • Remote Desktop has some painting issues that result in tiled pixelation.
  • Connected Standby enabled devices like Surface Pro 3 may experience shorter than expected battery life.
  • In Cortana, reminders can’t be edited and more complex reminders might not get created. The first reminder you create in Cortana in this build might not pop up, but subsequent ones will. Completed reminders also don’t move to the History page in Cortana’s Notebook.
  • The Music app will disappear if minimized within 16 seconds of launch. Just leave it in the foreground for 20 seconds or so and it should work just fine.
  • Occasionally, the Start Menu is improperly registered and will fail to launch.

User requested features

These are the user-requested improvements that made it to the Windows 10 JTP

This is the best one, and especially since I moved all my data to my OneDrive folder.

• Another top request from you was to have the option to pick the default folder when opening File Explorer, and the team responded and added this feature.

How to enable extra features:

How to bring back the old resizable start menu

How to enable the new trey clock UI

Screenshot%20%2814%29.png?itok=MeOzA0HI

​Sources: Winbeta Known Issues

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

Isn't it over 10000 already?

Yes.

Also, to the OP, this has been reposted so many times, that it isn't funny...

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Isn't it over 10000 already?

no, but its over 9000 ;)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

no, but its over 9000 ;)

https://buildfeed.net/

Its over 10000  :P.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

https://buildfeed.net/

Its over 10000  :P.

yeah but this build (9926) is not over 10000 because 9926<10000

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yes.

Also, to the OP, this has been reposted so many times, that it isn't funny...

well I guess I subconsciously decided to put my time into making the article look nice instead of checking to see if there was anything posted on page 2 lol. Have fun locking my hard work if you wish!

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

I have been using the new build all day, and so far the biggest issue I have is the start menu that is way too big compared to the one we had in the previous build, and doesn't let me resize it.   (I am sure I saw them resize the start menu in the presentation, but that is not included in this build)

Seriously what was wrong with the start menu before?  It was exactly how I wanted it to be.

Another minor issue is that I now have to run some programs as administrator on this build, when they were running fine in the previous build.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

I have been using the new build all day, and so far the biggest issue I have is the start menu that is way too big compared to the one we had in the previous build, and doesn't let me resize it.   (I am sure I saw them resize the start menu in the presentation, but that is not included in this build)

Seriously what was wrong with the start menu before?  It was exactly how I wanted it to be.

Another minor issue is that I now have to run some programs as administrator on this build, when they were running fine in the previous build.

this is supposed to fix the start menu http://www.winbeta.org/news/how-bring-back-old-resizable-start-menu-running-windows-10-build-9926

How does the start menu look? Did they fix that ugliness?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Installed it yesterday morning.

God DAMN the design inconsistencies. Everything about the design is just poorly implemented so far, and I don't care if it's a technical preview. MS won't fix it, they've done this shit since day 1 of Windows 8 and they still think it's acceptable. The whole metro -> desktop thing has been a royal fuck up. Who the hell is designing and approving this stuff? There are Windows 7 (RTM 2009, almost 5 years ago) elements EVERYWHERE and this is 1.5 iterations ahead. Apple pulled off the unification of mobile and desktop UX perfectly, and MS has shit the bed.

The notification center is a piss poor attempt at copying the OSX Yosemite one and I'm ALWAYS getting popup notifications for useless irrelevant information. This is all such basic stuff, I'm not surprised they aren't charging for it, it's amateurish trash.

Dark taskbars STILL have black title text and buttons

w6ggE9H.png

Look at these disgusting folder icons

LkiefNx.png

Trying to change something in control panel opens a separate application called 'settings'?

Ns7t1a0.png

Look at the disgusting coloured underlay squares with the icons

cdVq2fH.png

Look at the UX inconsistency

F9D3bCd.png

Opening this just to change network?

s0X1NEO.png

I can't wait to get a Macbook.

God DAMN the design inconsistencies. Everything about the design is just poorly implemented so far, and I don't care if it's a technical preview. MS won't fix it, they've done this shit since day 1 of Windows 8 and they still think it's acceptable. The whole metro -> desktop thing has been a royal fuck up. Who the hell is designing and approving this stuff? There are Windows 7 (RTM 2009, almost 5 years ago) elements EVERYWHERE and this is 1.5 iterations ahead. Apple pulled off the unification of mobile and desktop UX perfectly, and MS has shit the bed.

The notification center is a piss poor attempt at copying the OSX Yosemite one and I'm ALWAYS getting popup notifications for useless irrelevant information. This is all such basic stuff, I'm not surprised they aren't charging for it, it's amateurish trash.

-snip-

Its nowhere near ready. Also, Settings may eventually replace control panel. Also, keep in mind this is a Technical Preview. RTM is expected in Q4. Realistically, thats about 9-10 months of work that still needs to be put in.

The icons were also updated from build 9879, and isn't a full set. New Builds will fix these issues eventually.

Its nowhere near ready.

You're damn right it's not. I want MS to prove me wrong, but It's not looking good so far.

You're damn right it's not. I want MS to prove me wrong, but It's not looking good so far.

Feel free to leave feedback and constructive criticism. 

Microsoft has a forum for that!

For enterprise users and administrators: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=WinPreview2014

For end users/public: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/welcome-to-the-windows-10-technical-preview-forum/56369120-6cbf-40d1-b3d7-aac066f8b4ab

Leaving your complaints on LTT won't help the people at MS understand any better. Go to an official outlet.

Downloading right now cause I wanna try out Cortana!

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

w6ggE9H.png

LkiefNx.png

Trying to change something in control panel opens a separate application called 'settings'?

Ns7t1a0.png

Look at the disgusting coloured underlay squares with the icons

cdVq2fH.png

Look at the UX inconsistency

F9D3bCd.png

s0X1NEO.png

I can't wait to get a Macbook.

Its called a tech preview for a reason.

They've already said that control panel is being ditched for the new settings system, its only left in because not everything is moved over yet.

If you notice a ui design element which isn't right then report it so they can fix it, they've included a report tool for exactly that purpose.

The icons are a first pass and will be updated with time. I remember trying out Longhorn and being shocked at what they'd done to the icons but by Win 7 I preferred them over XPs.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just a little warning. I used to use a registry edit to bring back the start menu in Windows 8, but Microsoft decided to kill that option.

Don't be surprised if that registry edit stops working in the next update.

<picture of taskbar>

<picture of ugly folder icons>

<picture of settings app>

Yep, these three are really annoying.

The task bar thing would be fixed if they added transparency and the smoke/blur effect from Windows 7. It is like two of the top 10 requested features (it's on the list twice) but I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft completely ignores it.

Yep those new icons looks really bad. It's like someone ate a box of crayons and then vomited on my screen.

I hate how they messed with the networking settings. Have you tried changing your IP yet? It took me like 10 minutes to figure out how you do it. You have to go into that terrible settings app to turn on/off your VPN as well.

The rest of your complains I am not too worried about, because it's things they are still working on. Old Windows 7 style things still remaining are slowly being phased out (the settings app will probably completely replace the control panel) for example. The reason I am annoyed at the new icons and the network change is because those are changes they made that made things worse, and it's not some work-in-progress.