PCGamer.com - "Let's stop calling ourselves the PC Master Race"

When a pizza delivery arrives it’s warm and comforting and I eat so much because dang, it’s melted cheese on bread, and everyone feasts together in beautiful gluttonous harmony. But after we’re stuffed, walking the empty pizza box down four flights of stairs to the garbage just seems so hard, and so it sits on the kitchen counter for a day, maybe two, and then it gets propped up next to the recycling, and then I take out the recycling but the pizza box is all awkward and greasy so I just leave it. And after too long that delicious feast becomes embarrassing detritus that says “this place is inhabited by a puerile slob.”

And that pizza is internet humor. No matter how much we enjoy them at first, all jokes mold, but damned if they don’t stick around anyway. Lolcats, rage comics, doge-speak, saying “my wife” like Borat, references to anything popularized on Newgrounds—it’s time to bag all that up and send it to the landfill. And I’d love for the phrase “PC Master Race” to join them. It’s the moldiest of all.

It began as a joke from Ben “Yahtzee” Croshaw, who was mocking our elitist attitude with the internet’s favorite analogy: the Nazi analogy. That was seven years ago, but the phrase is still everywhere, said without any consideration (or perhaps understanding) of the historical context, without any consideration of the original context, and without any of the original self-mockery. It worked as a hyperbolic joke when it was first said as a hyperbolic joke, and I did think it was a little funny to embrace the criticism ironically—for a moment. Now it’s just moldy cardboard that a lot of PC gamers hold up as their identity, and it’s getting uncomfortable.

When I see kids unironically boasting about their “master race” affiliation on forums, I cringe. And if you have to explain that your community isn’t about racial supremacy (rule #7 on the sidebar of the PC Master Race subreddit), then maybe you’ve chosen a poor name for your community.

I obviously realize that no one is actually saying that PC gamers are the preferred people of Hitler. That’s absurd, and it’s supposed to be absurd. It’s a joke. It just isn’t a joke worth keeping around at the expense of making people uncomfortable about the hobby we're supposed to be promoting—and, selfishly, I’d rather not look like a tasteless jackass. I’d be mortified if my friends and family thought I were part of something called the “PC Master Race.” They don’t get the context, and even if I explained it to them, a half-forgotten seven-year-old internet joke doesn’t expunge the historical meaning from the phrase, which refers to the Aryan race, which is a term still used by people with swastika tattoos. I think I’ll go ahead and distance myself from the Aryan Brotherhood, if you don’t mind.

This isn’t a plea for political correctness—not associating oneself with Nazi pastiches is just good living. It’s fun to treat our hobby like a club and build camaraderie, but I don’t think a reference to white supremacy is going to encourage club membership.

PC gaming’s image is uniquely in the hands of its community, and PC gaming as a “brand” shouldn’t be synonymous with a meme. Given the choice, would Xbox fans really want to be represented by Microsoft’s marketing? I doubt it. And yet, with 300,000 subscribers on the PC Master Race subreddit, it seems we’ve chosen advice animals and MS Paint scribbles as our ambassadors. I know there are better ways to express our enthusiasm and creativity.

That said, I really do like the subreddit’s pleasantly welcoming primer, which declares that “to join the glorious PC gaming master race, all you just need a PC that suits your gaming needs.” That’s nice! But that inclusivity is undermined by a cultish attitude which addresses everyone collectively as “brothers.” It’s in jest, but it hardly feels inviting, and for what? Old memes, screengrabs of “peasantry” (console owners saying things), and “dat GPU tho” plastered on a photo of a GTX 970? I can stay off Reddit if I don’t care for it, but the PC Master Race attitude has spread much further than that. It’s becoming our perceived identity.

I don’t want that. “Master Race” has nothing to do with my values as a PC gamer. It’s not about shunning or excluding—it’s about openness and freedom. Run a game at 8K if you want, or mod Santa Claus into Skyrim and deliver everyone presents, or build a giant multi-monitor flight simulator. That’s PC gaming, not xenophobic slang. We take jabs at the consoles here at PC Gamer, for sure, but there’s a difference between a bit of playful ribbing and merrily talking like fascists.

We need a new term. I proposed a few last week: Resolutionaries? Fearsome Keyboard People? PC Thunder Cats? The GPUnion? They’re not a whole not better than the memes I’m making fun of, I know, but it’s a start. I just hope that next time you leave a comment you’ll consider replacing “PC Master Race” with something more creative, and I’m so sure we can be more creative than to make a Hitler analogy on the internet, a sea of Hitler analogies. When we finally move on, we can still smirk at 790p Xbox One games—we just won’t have to remind everyone of white supremacists when we do.

http://www.pcgamer.com/lets-stop-calling-ourselves-the-pc-master-race/

I couldn't agree more. The PCMR thing is cringe as fuck, it really is. What's wrong with simply 'PC gamer' to describe, well, a PC gamer?

yeh, well pcgamer.com can suck my nuts. why dont those lil cunts over at pcgamer.com move over to console then let the experience change their minds...

WE ARE THE MASTER RACE.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Oh ok IdortMasterRace, you're totally right.....

Who gives a shit? It's fun. 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Lots of people don't want PC Master Race anymore, because it is picked up by 12 year olds who just yell that in the YouTube comments of any console recorded gameplay or whatever..

(I hate the statement PC Master Race, when used seriously, now)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

there goes all my respect to PC gamer (if i ever had any)

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Lots of people don't want PC Master Race anymore, because it is picked up by 12 year olds who just yell that in the YouTube comments of any console recorded gameplay or whatever..

(I hate the statement PC Master Race, when used seriously, now)

I don't think there needs to be a name at all. It isn't some exclusive secret elite club.

PC Master Race will always be the PC Master Race

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

PC & nintendo master race. 

suck my non-exitant peepee. 

jkjk, it is kinda stupid when used seriously, however as a joe or like the ''ha, im so all about myself and cool... hue... '' kinda jokes its nice. 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Well, the whole "PC master race thing" isn't suppose to be taken seriously anyway

i think its funny when people take the whole PC MASTER RACE thing seriously 

The doge meme isn't supposed to be taken seriously either, doesn't mean it didn't get old and cringe as fuck after five minutes.

It is a opinion, And close to nobody who uses the term"PC Master Race" actually believe a PC is superior in every way, It will die down eventually, If we keep bringing up PC master race it will keep being fun for trolls.

"Dont Feed The Trolls"

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

I think its funny as hell, especially when all the 12-year old Xbox-kids get all worked up about it in the youtube comment section... hilarious.

PC is better, I used to like PS3 and still kinda do. The problem is 30fps.

The doge meme isn't supposed to be taken seriously either, doesn't mean it didn't get old and cringe as fuck after five minutes.

Well, I'm sure the term "master race" is used on purpose to make people cringe. I personally find some content on the subreddit to be interesting though I cringe every time I see people using "brother" in every sentence. 

It is a opinion, And close to nobody who uses the term"PC Master Race" actually believe a PC is superior in every way, It will die down eventually, If we keep bringing up PC master race it will keep being fun for trolls.

"Dont Feed The Trolls"

Except the PC really is superior in every way, name one thing a console does better than a PC.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

It seems that the author missed how it is a satirical term. I doubt most people who say "PC master race" are actually serious when they say it. I know I'm not.

name one thing a console does better than a PC.

Releases GTAV two years earlier.

And yes, I'm pissed it isn't on PC yet as well.

It seems that the author missed how it is a satirical term. I doubt most people who say "PC master race" are actually serious when they say it. I know I'm not.

The author didn't miss that at all, in fact he wrote an entire paragraph explaining it was a term made up to mock PC elitists.

The author didn't miss that at all, in fact he wrote an entire paragraph explaining it was a term made up to mock PC elitists.

Ah, musta missed that then.

I'm well-aware of the origins of the term, but I don't use it outside of satirical contexts. Don't want people associating me with racist ideologies >_>

It's all in good fun and always will be for however long it sticks around. Getting a stick up your ass about it and comparing it to "the Aryan Brotherhood" is just sad and pathetic. Kind of funny to me when people lack in a sense of humor to the point that they can't take a joke because it mocks a more serious topic. Serious topics aren't funny. Internet Jokes are. Mind is blown.