'Minecraft boasts nearly one million concurrent users; is likely the most popular game on PC'

IdortMasterRace

While Dota 2 is widely accepted as the most played PC game thanks to Steam's stats page, it probably comes as no surprise that Minecraft is more popular. Mojang's Nathan Adams Tweeted last week that the company has gained access to concurrent player statistics, and the results are staggering: over 998,000 people were playing Minecraft when Adams Tweeted on January 9, and it wasn't even peak hour.

I could have waited 5 minutes to say 1 million, but nobody would believe that. :D

— Nathan Adams (@DinnerBone_) January 9, 2015

Keep in mind that this figure accounts for the PC, Mac and Linux versions of the game. Minecraft is also available for most consoles and smart devices, while older and pirated versions of the game aren't included in the figure. That means there's probably a lot more than a million people playing Minecraft at any given moment. It makes Dota 2's Steam stats look fairly casual by comparison.

Adams added that the popularity of single and multiplayer is usually split an even 50/50. I wonder how many of those are working on their own redstone word processor.

Sources:

http://www.pcgamer.com/minecraft-boasts-nearly-one-million-concurrent-users-is-likely-the-most-popular-game-on-pc/

https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/553557008277061632

Nice I guess...

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

PC Gaming's biggest achievement? Minecraft.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

#1 Reason To Stay And Begin With PC GAMING!

While it is impressive it's still way behind Lol. But it attract alot of people to pc gaming so that's nice i guess.

Mainboard:ROG-STRIX-B360-G-GAMING/Cpu:I5 8400 /Gpu: Galax RTX 2070 /Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4/ Storage:1TB HDD 2 Corsair SSD PSU : Corsair 550W/Cooling: Silverstone Air Cooler/ / Case : Corsair/Keyboard:Razer Chroma TKL/Mouse:Mionix Castor+Steelseries Qck Mass/Headphone:V Moda M100 

Quote me if you when me to reply to something. 

Only cause GTA V isn't out yet :P

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

That's good. Minecraft led the path into PC gaming for me. I don't play it actively anymore, but it's a really fun game for all ages to enjoy. I have a six year old cousin who's a huge fan of it.

dont h8 m8

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

While it is impressive it still way behind Lol. But it attract alot of people to pc gaming so that's nice i guess.

lmao LoL is a popular game among moba players, while atleast 60% of gamers have played minecraft at one point or another. I'm not praising or bashing any game here but if you seriously think leave is morepopular or more played you're an idiot.

While it is impressive it still way behind Lol. But it attract alot of people to pc gaming so that's :-Dnice i guess.

lmao LoL is a popular game among moba players, while atleast 60% of gamers have played minecraft at one point or another. I'm not praising or bashing any game here but if you seriously think league is more popular or more played you're an idiot.

lmao LoL is a popular game among moba players, while atleast 60% of gamers have played minecraft at one point or another. I'm not praising or bashing any game here but if you seriously think leave is morepopular or more played you're an idiot.

It has had millions of more concurrent players than just 1million... 7.5million concurrent players was recorded back in 2013/early 2014 and it has only grown since then.

lmao LoL is a popular game among moba players, while atleast 60% of gamers have played minecraft at one point or another. I'm not praising or bashing any game here but if you seriously think league is more popular or more played you're an idiot.

Really =.= are you serious just wow dude wow. League has 67 million monthly active player and 27 million player active daily and 7.5 million concurrent players.  Also that was in jan 2014 a year ago. Don't go around telling people that they are an idiot when you have no idea what you are even talking about.

Mainboard:ROG-STRIX-B360-G-GAMING/Cpu:I5 8400 /Gpu: Galax RTX 2070 /Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4/ Storage:1TB HDD 2 Corsair SSD PSU : Corsair 550W/Cooling: Silverstone Air Cooler/ / Case : Corsair/Keyboard:Razer Chroma TKL/Mouse:Mionix Castor+Steelseries Qck Mass/Headphone:V Moda M100 

It has had millions of more concurrent players than just 1million... 7.5million concurrent players was recorded back in 2013 and it has only grown since then.

Yeah has to be higher than a million. I am sure WoW has prob broke a million on expansion release days and that game has a sub fee.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Minecraft+Counter-Strike:Global Offensive=Life

i play minecraft maps on CS:GO

You can even play CS maps on Minecraft.  :P

With 1mil users daily, maybe Microsoft will have the incentive to recode the game to something that doesn't suck. Java is god awful in the resource department.

I personally think Minecraft is a hell of an achievement. It's one of the most fun games I have ever played and is easily the most interesting sandbox ever made. Blows me away that people can create processors and hard drives out of redstone. The automation is just awesome too. 

http://www.riotgames.com/articles/20130312/700/league-legends-players-summit-new-peak

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/01/27/riots-league-of-legends-reveals-astonishing-27-million-daily-players-67-million-monthly/

Minecraft isn't even close to lol. If Dota 2 was ever "the most played game" then league is 5 times that

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

If this is one of the best games PC has to offer, then the PCMR is doomed.

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

If this is one of the best games PC has to offer, then the PCMR is doomed.

Just because a game is popular it doesn't mean that it is the best game ever. Hell Cod is one of the most popular game franchise  but i only consider it to be mediocre at best. Pc gaming will just keep on improving while console just fell behind failing to catch up.

Really =.= are you serious just wow dude wow. League has 67 million monthly active player and 27 million player active daily and 7.5 million concurrent players.  Also that was in jan 2014 a year ago. Don't go around telling people that they are an idiot when you have no idea what you are even talking about.

In terms of concurrent players, League of Legends might beat Minecraft. But in terms of raw popualrity? Minecraft blows League of Legends out of the water in terms of money made, merchandise sales internationally worldwide, mass market appeal, and even internet viralling through YouTube videos and stuff. Minecraft, without question, is the more popular game.

I don't think the Super Mario series has 1 million concurrent players, so are you going to argue League of Legends is more popular than Mario?

So that means that there are 998,000 kids that look like this:

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

In terms of concurrent players, League of Legends might beat Minecraft. But in terms of raw popualrity? Minecraft blows League of Legends out of the water in terms of money made, merchandise sales internationally worldwide, mass market appeal, and even internet viralling through YouTube videos and stuff.

I'd definitely say Minecraft is the more popular game.

League has made 1 billion $ on micro transaction alone. It is The most popular game on twich also on youtube the main league channel alone already has 6.5 million sub. It is named the most popular game in the world for a reason you know.

In terms of concurrent players, League of Legends might beat Minecraft. But in terms of raw popualrity? Minecraft blows League of Legends out of the water in terms of money made, merchandise sales internationally worldwide, mass market appeal, and even internet viralling through YouTube videos and stuff. Minecraft, without question, is the more popular game.

I don't think the Super Mario series has 1 million concurrent players, so are you going to argue League of Legends is more popular than Mario?

I don't think anyone was arguing about anything other than number of concurrent players, seeing as it was the entire news topic. They've also made the most amount of money any game has ever made, most popular game on twitch, and league youtubers combined have way more views than all dedicated minecraft youtubers

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place