Steam gets fps counter!

shermantanker

sweet, now I can have fraps, RTSS, Dxtory and Steam FPS counters, one in each corner.

And they will all say something different.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

And it needs to support 4k or higher resolutions to be practical for everybody.

Steam in general needs to wake up in this respect. It is the only application I've ever had a scaling problem with, and my problems with Steam predate my move to 4K by literally years. Before Big Picture using Steam on a 1080p TV from across the room was untenable. And why? Because the only way to adjust text size for anything (and even this situation is janky and only works some of the time) is to manually edit the INI file. Their forums are full of complaints about this from people even on 1440p monitors so they really need to get their shit together.

And they will all say something different.

probably  :lol:  :unsure:

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

How do i turn this on? i have steam beta downloaded.. 

Go to settings, then In-Game. The option is there.

I checked that, turns out my steam didnt update.. It's there now :)

So you can't use your own initiative to see if a game is running like shit? You need to actually be told?

Also, I was referring to having the counter on at all times, even while playing the game.

I'm not saying "Let's see if it's running at 60FPS lulz." I was going more along the lines of "Let's see what my averages are and my frametimes so I know what is going on up in this bitch."

if you need a fps counter to tell you if a game is running like dog shit, you are a moron. just sayin.

Read above.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I never understood people putting FPS counters.

You are loosing system resource for calculating the fps, it's silly.

I guess its cool and all if you have new hardware and you want to be impressed with a number (I mean who doesn't), but all the time?

Just play the game, stop finding excuses to loosing a match "Oh Hot Darn! I missed my shot because the the game went to 59fps! Stupid Game!"

Just enjoy your game, not silly stats that means nothing. To me it's like people filming concerts with their smartphone, what's the point? Just enjoy the experience.

LOL literaly was thinking yesterday "when will they finally get a FPS counter". excellent

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

I never understood people putting FPS counters.
You are loosing system resource for calculating the fps, it's silly.

I guess its cool and all if you have new hardware and you want to be impressed with a number (I mean who doesn't), but all the time?
Just play the game, stop finding excuses to loosing a match "Oh Hot Darn! I missed my shot because the the game went to 59fps! Stupid Game!"

Just enjoy your game, not silly stats that means nothing. To me it's like people filming concerts with their smartphone, what's the point? Just enjoy the experience.

I'm not saying "Let's see if it's running at 60FPS lulz." I was going more along the lines of "Let's see what my averages are and my frametimes so I know what is going on up in this bitch."

This. And it's good to know if you're getting a constant 17 fps or if your fps is fluctuating massively. And then you can use something like RivaTuner to get realtime information on GPU and CPU usage, frame buffer, and temperatures so if it is running badly you stand a hope in hell of working out why.

Thank you, was looking for how to turn it on.

I'm currently playing LEGO Movie: The Videogame and it was funny to see the FPS shift from 300 to 5000 (350FPS appear to be the average/most steady number) :P Now I,m curious to try other titles :)

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

SOMEBODY HOLD MY HAND

i .... cant.... breath !!!!

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I understand when running an FPS counter when you first start a game, but I don't understand while people constantly run them during every single game. 

Regardless, this is a neat new feature.

There are some people that only care about framerate more than gameplay these days. Instead of getting engrossed in the game, they'd rather stare at a number in the corner of the screen.

I mean, sure, there are those people who are obsessed with staring at the FPS counter all the time.

But most people, like myself, rather use it as a tool to help dial in a games graphical settings before jumping into the game hardcore.

Also, I personally like to have a non-obtrusive counter sitting in the corner, so that when I want, I can simply check what my FPS is. Maybe I felt a section of a map chug a bit, and I want to see how low it's going. Just because it's there, doesn't mean I have to stare at it constantly. As long as it isn't obtrusive, then it won't distract me nor take me out of the gameplay experience.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

There are some people that only care about framerate more than gameplay these days. Instead of getting engrossed in the game, they'd rather stare at a number in the corner of the screen.

Well wtf, the game has got to be playable, monitor the FPS for a while to make sure that it's at acceptable levels.

I mean, sure, there are those people who are obsessed with staring at the FPS counter all the time.

But most people, like myself, rather use it as a tool to help dial in a games graphical settings before jumping into the game hardcore.

I'm am the same way.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

why is this a big deal?

Because it's Steam.

Won't be needing that. My FPS is just around non existent.

Kind of nice, but ShadowPlay does this for me anyway.

Well wtf, the game has got to be playable, monitor the FPS for a while to make sure that it's at acceptable levels.

Again, do you seriously need a counter to tell you whether the game looks fine or not?

Again, do you seriously need a counter to tell you whether the game looks fine or not?

Yes. My monitor is 60hz so I need to see if the fps is hovering around 70 or like 160 so that I can adjust settings.

Yes. My monitor is 60hz so I need to see if the fps is hovering around 70 or like 160 so that I can adjust settings.

Not heard of frame rate capping with software like Nvidia Inspector, or even v-sync?

This is also something you can do when you first start up the game, there's no reason to have it on while actually playing video games.

The steam beta client was updated with an FPS counter last night. Currently the color and profusion are not customizable, but my guess is the will change once it it patched into the full application.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/3/7485773/steam-client-beta-at-last-adds-a-framerate-counter

I have been using Shadowplay fps counter for like ever...

Not heard of frame rate capping with software like Nvidia Inspector, or even v-sync?

This is also something you can do when you first start up the game, there's no reason to have it on while actually playing video games.

Not everyone wants to run even more additional software like Inspector. And V-Sync has it's own issues, like added latency, and if you're on the borderline, it can wildly jump back and fourth between 30fps and 60 fps. Less than ideal.

And I'm fairly sure he does what you mention in the second sentence. Although some of us like to have an unobtrusive FPS counter in the corner that we can glance at from time to time at our leisure. Not like it hurts you to have that feature, since you can always disable it or simply not use it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)