Steam gets fps counter!

shermantanker

Good thing I didn't claim otherwise then!

Someone needs to keep up.

"I'm not making the "framerate is just a number" argument, I'm saying that there's no reason to have a constant counter up while actually playing a game. It's incredibly easy to tell when a game is at a reasonable frame rate (let's say, 50-60 fps). If it dropped any lower, you'd soon realise, you don't need a frame rate counter to tell you that."

Your argument is like saying we don't need the speedometer constantly updating because its easy to tell when you are going 60mph.

Its not like people constantly look at it (unless they are testing various settings to tell what kinda hit they take).

For the most part when I have it on I just see through it like we do with various game overlay huds. Do we constantly look at how much ammo we have in FPS games? No we generally ignore it, but it can be on the screen constantly.

In cs games, they already have this feature.. has to be console enabled and only on cs i believe

On another note, because I have an nvidia gpu. I can have a fps counter via geforce experience.

LTT CSGO SERVER! IP 8.12.22.45!~  Connect by connecting on csgo console

Use console command "connect"   --->  connect 8.12.22.45

Why do we need to a FPS counter? It's not like anything goes over 30 anyways. /s

I was using the beta, until it randomly started livestreaming my games without asking. 

If your using the beta, they added live streaming a while ago to it, I think one of the new default options is to live stream to everybody. I'm guessing someone "joined" your livestream . . . .

Cool. Laziness has still prevented me from installing FRAPS on SanPellegrino :P

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates

Cool beans.

I'll still use MSI for my FPS counter as I already have it running to keep track of my various system stats.

Still prefer Revatuner with MSI Afterburner. 

"I'd say welcome friend, but not here...not like this."

Cool feature add-on. I have been using shadowplay to monitor my games when optimizing my graphics. I would highly recommend it. The recording quality in Shadowplay is also excellent. I highly recommend it if you are using a supported GPU.

Seems like Valve has very quickly responded to the community feedback.

Today's beta update...

16028453047_49225f65a5_o.png

Perfect. The only thing I would like in addition to that, is a transparency slider from 0-100%, allowing the user to set it to whatever they desire so it's not as distracting during gaming.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Perfect. The only thing I would like in addition to that, is a transparency slider from 0-100%, allowing the user to set it to whatever they desire so it's not as distracting during gaming.

i tried it yesterday and it's small enough that You don't notice it unless You look at at. Quite different from the FRAPS approach.

Lets play find the FPS counter. Hint it's not the fraps counter in the bottom right.

The entire Steam interface is awful at 4k

I know :D. I had to watch a youtube video twice to find it.

If its absolutely accurate and doesnt give few fps less (like fraps) then great ! It being super small text is pleasing for some,but some players dont want big digits on their screens.

I believe the option to change the size will be added by the time its realeased on official steam client.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Your argument is like saying we don't need the speedometer constantly updating because its easy to tell when you are going 60mph.

Its not like people constantly look at it (unless they are testing various settings to tell what kinda hit they take).

For the most part when I have it on I just see through it like we do with various game overlay huds. Do we constantly look at how much ammo we have in FPS games? No we generally ignore it, but it can be on the screen constantly.

There is a reason when playing a game.

1. you can ignore it like any hud element.

2. it helps to give you an idea of how much fps drops are killing your game experience(if you feel the drop, you can look at fps number to see if graphics option need to be turned down to keep it above playable fps). Or tell you if anything is wrong by looking at fps number, which can be above monitor refresh rate, which would be different from usual if running on igpu by accident(but can also be above 60fps depending on game).

3. it's not made for the fps dickwaving you were implying.

You need to ketchup to the mustard race.

Just because you don't know how to use fps counter for anything other than epeen waving that does not mean fps counter has no reason to be turned on for normal gameplay.

I think his argument is more about people who would rather maintain fps than enjoy the game. Not those who monitor fps TO enjoy the game. I understand why someone would keep it up constantly.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

So I can obsess about upgrading even more the second I see a game drop below 60fps? Thanks GabeN.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

So I can obsess about upgrading even more the second I see a game drop below 60fps? Thanks GabeN.

Not just lower the settings...?

Not just lower the settings...?

Lower the settings? :o

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

App nr 1xxx to include an FPS counter..... WOW!.....

They're never as good as in-engine ones, and people run MSI Afterburner/Geforce Experience/AMDs thingy already anyway.

#notimpressed

net_graph 1

Or FPS only: cl_showfps 1

Lower the settings? :o

Yep and as a note this is someone with dual 980's saying that ;)

The latest beta update improved a free things and add some features. I don't remember specifics but you can easily look it up.

I wonder if there was a better image that could have been selected for the article that talks about a new visible feature rather than the one they picked?

Doesn't the geforce experience fps tracker for only work for supported games? I have never tried using it, but I know there are a lot of games that the software won't detect.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4