Steam gets fps counter!

shermantanker

There are some people that only care about framerate more than gameplay these days. Instead of getting engrossed in the game, they'd rather stare at a number in the corner of the screen.

Ya know, there's a pretty good reason why you should care about frame rate: responsiveness.

A frame rate is much much more than "just a number". It can determine how smooth and responsive the gameplay is. As an example, the frame time for 30FPS is 33.3ms, while the frame time for 60FPS is 16.6ms. What do you think is gonna give you the better gameplay experience, 33.3ms or 16.6ms? 16.6ms, as it takes half the time to output a new frame, meaning your inputs get registered and displayed by the game better. I'd personally take the smoother, more responsive frame rate. It can also be useful for determining what GPU will get you the most bang for your buck in a certain game.

Ya know, there's a pretty good reason why you should care about frame rate: responsiveness.

A frame rate is much much more than "just a number". It can determine how smooth and responsive the gameplay is. As an example, the frame time for 30FPS is 33.3ms, while the frame time for 60FPS is 16.6ms. What do you think is gonna give you the better gameplay experience, 33.3ms or 16.6ms? 16.6ms, as it takes half the time to output a new frame, meaning your inputs get registered and displayed by the game better. I'd personally take the smoother, more responsive frame rate. It can also be useful for determining what GPU will get you the most bang for your buck in a certain game.

Don't twist my words. I'm not making the "framerate is just a number" argument, I'm saying that there's no reason to have a constant counter up while actually playing a game. It's incredibly easy to tell when a game is at a reasonable frame rate (let's say, 50-60 fps). If it dropped any lower, you'd soon realise, you don't need a frame rate counter to tell you that.

Of course people might want to have it up, I'm just pointing out there are people who stare at their FPS counter while playing through games for no real reason. The Steam FPS counter is actually very unobtrusive, it's the perfect size in my opinion.

Don't twist my words. I'm not making the "framerate is just a number" argument, I'm saying that there's no reason to have a constant counter up while actually playing a game. It's incredibly easy to tell when a game is at a reasonable frame rate (let's say, 50-60 fps). If it dropped any lower, you'd soon realise, you don't need a frame rate counter to tell you that.

Of course people might want to have it up, I'm just pointing out there are people who stare at their FPS counter while playing through games for no real reason. The Steam FPS counter is actually very unobtrusive, it's the perfect size in my opinion.

Oh, I see.

I enabled the Steam FPS counter last night to see what my frame rate in Morrowind is (compared to my old MSI laptop, only got 22FPS max on that thing... .-.). It's pretty nice, actually, yeah.

I was using the beta, until it randomly started livestreaming my games without asking. 

that's the risk when you use a beta, it's not stable.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Not heard of frame rate capping with software like Nvidia Inspector, or even v-sync?

This is also something you can do when you first start up the game, there's no reason to have it on while actually playing video games.

Go ahead and set a global cap in Nvidia Inspector. I hope you like doing that every time you restart your computer, because that's what you'll end up doing. :/

Go ahead and set a global cap in Nvidia Inspector. I hope you like doing that every time you restart your computer, because that's what you'll end up doing. :/

No? I've had it set for a while now, I have to launch the program on every start up but the settings are retained from session to session.

Lets play find the FPS counter. Hint it's not the fraps counter in the bottom right.

The entire Steam interface is awful at 4k

082b6f2c9c.jpg

At 28 inches this is almost magnifying glass level

1435d6b904.jpg

Not heard of frame rate capping with software like Nvidia Inspector, or even v-sync?

This is also something you can do when you first start up the game, there's no reason to have it on while actually playing video games.

That's not what I said. I don't have it on, I check my framerate when I first play the game to see what setting I can run it on. V-sync is shit, the latency it creates makes it unplayable. But I guess that's fine for you, someone who is fine with playing games at 30 fps.

Lets play find the FPS counter. Hint it's not the fraps counter in the bottom right.

The entire Steam interface is awful at 4k

082b6f2c9c.jpg

At 28 inches this is almost magnifying glass level

1435d6b904.jpg

i like the size at normal PPI, but your point is valid they should ad a UI scaling option.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

if you need a fps counter to tell you if a game is running like dog shit, you are a moron. just sayin.

What if I want to make sure I'm running a mostly constant 60fps when setting up a game?

i like the size at normal PPI, but your point is valid they should ad a UI scaling option.

The whole steam overlay needs to be able to scale for when your using stuff like nvidia day.

fyi people the best FPS counter out there is HW Info with MSI Afterburner (for the actual fps) 

You can do anything you want to it. Bigger,smaller, transparent, add cpu/gpu usage, hdd activity etc etc.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

I think this good because some games don't have it built in or its hard to get to.

Or in the case of cs go updates way to quickly.

V-sync is shit, the latency it creates makes it unplayable. But I guess that's fine for you, someone who is fine with playing games at 30 fps.

Yep, I can happily play games at a minimum of 30 fps, despite much preferring my games at 60 fps.

Also, who said I myself have to enable v-sync?

Yep, I can happily play games at a minimum of 30 fps, despite much preferring my games at 60 fps.

No one did, I assumed you were okay with playing with V-sync since you recommended it.

No one did, I assumed you were okay with playing with V-sync since you recommended it.

V-sync is a solution to said problem, correct. And how well it works varies depending on multiple variables.

Ill play with it if i can maintain 60fps and as long as the games doesnt suck with it. And man does CS GO's suck if you ask me.

There are some people that only care about framerate more than gameplay these days. Instead of getting engrossed in the game, they'd rather stare at a number in the corner of the screen.

Or if you didn't think like a peasant, you would realize that framerate and gameplay are closely related.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Or if you didn't think like a peasant, you would realize that framerate and gameplay are closely related.

Good thing I didn't claim otherwise then!

Someone needs to keep up.

"I'm not making the "framerate is just a number" argument, I'm saying that there's no reason to have a constant counter up while actually playing a game. It's incredibly easy to tell when a game is at a reasonable frame rate (let's say, 50-60 fps). If it dropped any lower, you'd soon realise, you don't need a frame rate counter to tell you that."

I'll stick with MSI since it gives me fps/CPU temp/GPU temp as well as CPU usage/GPU and ram usage. With other options out there that offer more and are still free this seems pretty useless to me.

my rig intel 3570k| r9-290 tri-x oc| gigabyte z77ud-3h | 8gb gskill ripjaws | noctua nh-d14| corsair 760i psu | carbide 500r case | HP ZR2740w monitor 2560x1440 | asus vk278Q monitor 1920x1080 | logitech g700s mouse | logitech g510 keyboard |

Good thing I didn't claim otherwise then!

Someone needs to keep up.

"I'm not making the "framerate is just a number" argument, I'm saying that there's no reason to have a constant counter up while actually playing a game. It's incredibly easy to tell when a game is at a reasonable frame rate (let's say, 50-60 fps). If it dropped any lower, you'd soon realise, you don't need a frame rate counter to tell you that."

There is a reason when playing a game.

1. you can ignore it like any hud element.

2. it helps to give you an idea of how much fps drops are killing your game experience(if you feel the drop, you can look at fps number to see if graphics option need to be turned down to keep it above playable fps). Or tell you if anything is wrong by looking at fps number, which can be above monitor refresh rate, which would be different from usual if running on igpu by accident(but can also be above 60fps depending on game).

3. it's not made for the fps dickwaving you were implying.

You need to ketchup to the mustard race.

Just because you don't know how to use fps counter for anything other than epeen waving that does not mean fps counter has no reason to be turned on for normal gameplay.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...