XBox One allows the usage of its 7th core to close developers.

GoodBytes

Both the XBox One and PS4 have 8 core CPUs, but only 6 of them can be used by games.

Where in the case of the XBox One we know that 2 of them are used for the OS.

Screen%20Shot%202013-05-23%20at%2012.22.

Based on new information on the leaked on the consoles SDK, the seventh processor core can be accessed for games, but only to close developers of the console.

This may explain why some games like GTA5 and Assassin creed Unity ran better on teh XBox One than on the PS4. However, enabling the 7th core for the game, will disable some console features, such as Game-specific voice commands and some Kinect camera features, and user voice recognition can cause the the the game to have trouble due the processing spike taken by the 7th core.

Source: http://www.winbeta.org/news/closer-look-leaked-xbox-one-sdk-reveals-elevated-developer-privileges-seventh-cpu-core

Is this how they plan to keep their consoles running well in the future? By unlocking cores as time goes on? 

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Good. Get rid of all of that crap and max out the performance/graphics for games for Xbox. Or ya know, let the people choose! If certain people want all of those addons, then they can add them on at the expense of lower graphics or lower FPS or whatever. And those who don't want those features can disable them and get better graphics or FPS or whatever. Come on Microsoft!

COMIC SANS

Wait what?

Only for close developers?

Fucking why? It's underpowered enough as it is.

I used to remember all of the people bragging about the six core ps3 cpu when games didn't even use all of them. I think, if I remember right, 1 was dedicated to XMB, and one was, shit you not, security.

And it's still more powerful than the ps4's cpu if you can write code that leverages the cell arc correctly!

Fuck this console generation. Seriously.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Is this how they plan to keep their consoles running well in the future? By unlocking cores as time goes on? 

Well, they are AMD. Might as well put a "core unlocker" sticker on the games like Asus does with their mobos

"Rawr XD"

That makes zero sense. It's not performing better for close developers, it's gimping itself for everyone else. Why would anyone buy this intentionally nerfed hardware?

*Says someone with an eight-core CPU with two cores fused off* :P

Console players don't care what there game looks like and how it performs, this isn't needed in other words.

If they cared how their game looked, they wouldn't be on console...

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

I would PREFER performance and graphics over stupid, worthless features. If I wanted to "face time" with someone I would get a damn phone or something. It isn't Facebook, it isn't Twitter...it is a gaming machine! Or at least make it so players can choose—features or performance?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Awesome, I really like how Microsoft is still trying to improve their console.

I might pick one up when there are more games.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Is the Xbone OS really that heavy that it needs two full cores ? Maybe if the OS was more optimized we would probably see better performance. 

Is the Xbone OS really that heavy that it needs two full cores ? Maybe if the OS was more optimized we would probably see better performance. 

From my use of it, it has been a massive downgrade from the previous OS that the Xbox 360 used. It's difficult to navigate and use, especially without the Kinect's barely functioning voice commands. 

From a company that designs the most popular operating system in use, Xbox OS is... humiliating.

Honestly, I wish Microsoft would limit developers, Bungie as an example. Because Bungie decided that their broken updating system is better than straight updates through Xbox Live (it's not), a lot of players can't play Destiny for a short amount of time or at all, because the updating method in Destiny is so sloppy and inefficient that it creates an error that the user can't even fix themselves.

Honestly I'm starting to think this is genuinely the worst generation of consoles.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Wow, reading the article it actually made a lot of sense and changed my mind about my previous post.

But anyways, the Xbox operating systems may require quite a bit of processing power, but apparently they don't need 2 full cores, hence why certain developers can make use of the 7th core on the Xbox One.

COMIC SANS

From my use of it, it has been a massive downgrade from the previous OS that the Xbox 360 used. It's difficult to navigate and use, especially without the Kinect's barely functioning voice commands. 

From a company that designs the most popular operating system in use, Xbox OS is... humiliating.

Honestly, I wish Microsoft would limit developers, Bungie as an example. Because Bungie decided that their broken updating system is better than straight updates through Xbox Live (it's not), a lot of players can't play Destiny for a short amount of time or at all, because the updating method in Destiny is so sloppy and inefficient that it creates an error that the user can't even fix themselves.

Honestly I'm starting to think this is genuinely the worst generation of consoles.

2014 was just a bad year for games all around.

At first I thought "Wow, they're being good guys." Then I realized that they had put a restriction that they will only remove from people close to them?

Come on team XBone, what are you doing?

At first I thought "Wow, they're being good guys." Then I realized that they had put a restriction that they will only remove from people close to them?

Come on team XBone, what are you doing?

Consoles have Low level acsess APIs, they really don't want people ducking around with the cores the OS is working on because you could crash or even brick the console . Thus - only trusted developers. They can't risk people buying Indi games on the marketplace and getting there console bricked.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

Remember how in the past all the power of the consoles were going into running the game rather than some background bollocks nobody wants.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Still waiting on a hardware revision for Xbox One.  I know it will never happen and thus I will not be buying this console.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Still waiting on a console that is next gen, because the current consoles are no wear near next gen What happened to the older consoles that could actually game properly with non of the BS that's been stuffed into new consoles. All they need is to play games, play DVDs and BR discs-that's it. If people wanted all of the extra stuff that has been added, they'd use a computer where it actually makes sense (I still can't get over Microsoft launching it with emphasis on 'TV').{Rant over for now}

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Still waiting on a hardware revision for Xbox One.  I know it will never happen and thus I will not be buying this console.

Increased power would be bad for consoles. May as well just make a new console, because you'd be breaking backwards compatibility by revising the hardware with higher specs. The entire point of a console is unified hardware specs.

With that in mind, expect hardware revisions within a year or two, that will reduce cost and size of the console. AMD will get on a smaller process node eventually, and they'll cram the same stuff into a smaller, quieter, cooler case.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Oh look, more evidence as to why consoles need to go away.

A software platform for PC's would be more acceptable at this point.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Consoles have Low level acsess APIs, they really don't want people ducking around with the cores the OS is working on because you could crash or even brick the console . Thus - only trusted developers. They can't risk people buying Indi games on the marketplace and getting there console bricked.

Its hard to brick a potato.  :D

-----

all joking aside, A lot of lighting effects and visual improvements developed over the past decade are not that optimized. Everyone knows if you slap ENB onto Skyrim the performance tanks, but in truth a lot of modern games are being developed in the same way, with effects slapped onto them like layers if icing on a cake. Instead of finding a way to harness all the gpu cores, the cpu is stuck trying to juggle hundreds of tasks that it shouldn't have to. In my own limited opinion, I think the hardware is fine, it's the software that needs to start playing catch-up. Nvidia is pumping tons of money into Gameworks, and AMD have their own developer tools they are working on as well, but so far its been a wash for performance, as evidenced by every game that uses Gameworks thus far, although some of the effects are quite nice.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR