Hollywood - " Google fibre Leads to more piracy"

ahhming

When you read between the lines, this is really nothing more than xenophobia from the comforts of an archaic business model. This applies to both Hollywood and the ISPs.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Avert your eyes if you care for the well being of WB...

Wankers... I really, genuinely hope that they all collapse. With all due respect for their grey mass of no-name workers, they put their heads so far up their behinds that they will need to spew them up via their very mouths, creating some amazing Escheresque statue of idiocy... Yes, please, as long as you can shamelessly report hundreds of millions of dollars of a loss on a box office hit, be the top player in region locking and oceans on the internets and after all those years claim that piracy leads to your direct losses, i genuinely hope every single predicted loss due to piracy turns into actual loss to your revenue. To the actual one. Hidden behind walls of rottenwood accounting. No compassion for corporate moronism.

Do excuse me for this rant. The tunnel of your favorite Ubisoft-related quote as of late has reached the other side of the earth for media corpomorons. Shovel Knight bleaks in comparison

There's a lot of hate in this thread, but I don't think the slides are completely wrong or false.

Granted, there are a lot of assumptions and those surveys can't be exact, but according to the information, it definitely seems possible that the speeds of Google Fibre could encourage many people to start pirating. 

Coconuts Glow!

omg im already in a pissy mood tonight and reading this pisses me off to a level over 9000... hollywood get your head out of your ass i pirated befor i had fast internet but now that i have fast internet and can actualy play movies and shows at 1080p on things like hulu or netflix i now dont pirate cause i have no need to do so.. so a big F U you hollywood.  just give me my content at a resonable price for streaming and ill gladly pay and that is what i do with hulu plus... your numbers dont account for all the people like me who when they finaly have internet speeds that are fast enough for more convinent ways of obtaining media that they will pay for it instead... sorry all that was ment for hollywood not any of you fine fellas in this forum. cheers.  and sorry for splurging my thoughts down so fast and it being a bit dificult to read v.v

I was going to make some comment about Time Warner Cable (2nd largest provider of cable internet in the US)... but I guess they are a separate entity from Time Warner now ... 

omg im already in a pissy mood tonight and reading this pisses me off to a level over 9000... hollywood get your head out of your ass i pirated befor i had fast internet but now that i have fast internet and can actualy play movies and shows at 1080p on things like hulu or netflix i now dont pirate cause i have no need to do so.. so a big F U you hollywood.  just give me my content at a resonable price for streaming and ill gladly pay and that is what i do with hulu plus... your numbers dont account for all the people like me who when they finaly have internet speeds that are fast enough for more convinent ways of obtaining media that they will pay for it instead... sorry all that was ment for hollywood not any of you fine fellas in this forum. cheers.  and sorry for splurging my thoughts down so fast and it being a bit dificult to read v.v

02b4419f5e8c5a153baf4b4f34e6f555ea138a6e

Might as well shut down the whole Internet so that people can't pirate.

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

Not gonna lie but probably. But it will also mean more people will buy games legally digitally. The only reason why I never pirated stuff was because my internet was really bad. So I always bought physical copies but know I have Steam so pirating seems a bit pointless when I can spend next to nothing on a whole bunch of games. Still don't have fiber though but soon I will once my contract with Sky is up. We just got BT fibre where we are so soon.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

This would be the opposite in most cases. Based off the people I know, they pirate media because they can replay later on without the bandwidth issue of having to redownload them. I'm quite certain that if they had Google fiber, they would stream it since all of a sudden, they are no longer limited by bandwidth. 

PC in Profile

i want all hollywod people to come live in India for a month and suffer 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Wow my bullshit detector went off as soon as I saw the title. Seems like it was correct yet again.

1) It's not Google fiber that would lead to increase in piracy. It's the rise of a better distribution model that Hollywood chooses to ignore. This is like news paper companies whining over news websites stealing their customers. A better system than the one you are using is already in place. Get with the times.

2) One of the first thoughts that came to my mind was "well the people with Google Fiber now has access to more content, so I assume the amount of movies overall will go up. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of pirated movies per 1000 watched didn't change much". Would you know, the survey also showed that 39% would now pay a subscription to for example NetFlix, and another 34% said they would rent movies online. Last time I checked, 39 was a bigger number than 26 so overall shouldn't the number of legal customers increase?

3) Didn't anyone look at the control group? The control group is St. Louis and that shows that MORE people say they pirate because their Internet connection is fast enough. If your control group pirates less than the ones with Google Fiber then how the hell do you come to the conclusion that Google Fiber will increase piracy? How is that even possible?! If my doctor said "patients who take this medicine recovers more quickly than those patients who don't. Therefore we suspect that the medicine makes people more ill" then I'd change doctor.

4) The survey was made on the behalf of Warner Bros and Sony. That's like trusting benchmarks directly from AMD and Nvidia. You can bet that they will not be telling the whole truth, twisting the truth to suit their predetermined conclusion or just flat out lie.

5) There is 0 money lost because of piracy. Money lost is when you have money, and that money disappears. I don't lose 1 million dollars when I don't win the lottery. There is a difference between "lost" and "not received". Even if we changed the wording from "lost" to "not received" their 2,753 million number still wouldn't be correct because that's just the absolute maximum amount they could potentially earn. The real number would be far lower because a lot of those people would simply not consume the content at all if they couldn't pirate it, for one or another reason such as DRM or them not wanting to spend money on it. Game of Thrones is a good example.

5) There is 0 money lost because of piracy. Money lost is when you have money, and that money disappears. I don't lose 1 million dollars when I don't win the lottery. There is a difference between "lost" and "not received". Even if we changed the wording from "lost" to "not received" their 2,753 million number still wouldn't be correct because that's just the absolute maximum amount they could potentially earn. The real number would be far lower because a lot of those people would simply not consume the content at all if they couldn't pirate it, for one or another reason such as DRM or them not wanting to spend money on it. Game of Thrones is a good example.

exactly , there's no way i can see GOT in India without Indian authorities Censor the shit out of every nudes and swear words, any tv shows never show here until they complete airing a season in USA, India hasn't seen any show that has been released this year, we only get to see it next year, i want to buy on steam , but steam doesn't accept debit cards, it's not that we dont want to buy stuff, its that there's no way to buy it here 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

HOLLYWOOD - "yes we are retarded and don't understand why piracy exists and rather then listening to those that do we're going react like idiots and fuckwits"

In other news, cars are too fast and roads are too wide, this enables bank robbers to get away from police too easily. You're shit out of luck folks, we're going back to the narrow streets of the 18th century and horses only!

^this. 1000 times this.

When will nerds take over the world and actually make decisions based on logic and reasoning instead of complete and total idiocy?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I think Hollywood really needs to stop pointing figures at others ( pirates ) and take a good look in the mirror. Charging $17+ to go see a movie is pretty greedy if you ask me, I remember when going to the cinema only cost $5-$7 ( and that is when movies were really good and original ). If Hollywood refuses to actually make good movies now a days instead of making a bunch of remakes or reboots, then I feel they get what they deserve. Greedy never gets anyone anywhere, except with a big old label on your back saying: (ASSHOLE)

If you gave people a reason to stop pirating, I bet the high # of people doing it would go down (That is fact and not rocket science) damn greedy complaining bastards. Get over yourself HOLLYWOOD.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

This is fucking hilarious. The logic these idiots managed to string together.. :'D I had no hope in humanity anyways so this is just comedy to me.

Mmm Fibre would ALLOW me to stream some actual services I want to have...

Content consumption rises with Fibre, thats for sure......, piracy would be there with or without fibre. That's all up to the individual, give those individuals easy access to get what they want in an easy to use manner, and they will be more inclined to show support.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

So, these guys are happy with the service AT&T would provide them? People don't pirate because they're greedy, sites like g2a show that people can't afford buying everything for the highest price possible, especially in other countries. Not to mention the annoying regional locks, people don't accept them, why won't they realize that.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

This is fucking hilarious. The logic these idiots managed to string together.. :'D I had no hope in humanity anyways so this is just comedy to me.

I wouldn't call it logic..... more like throwing shit at the walls and seeing what sticks.

So, these guys are happy with the service AT&T would provide them? People don't pirate because they're greedy, sites like g2a show that people can't afford buying everything for the highest price possible, especially in other countries. Not to mention the annoying regional locks, people don't accept them, why won't they realize that.

Because:

FuckYouPayMe_small.jpg

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I wouldn't call it logic..... more like throwing shit at the walls and seeing what sticks.

"Logic"

This kind of logic is really far fetched...

Estimating potential increases in drunk driving due to new roads.

Estimating potential increases in piracy due to cheap boats. (yarr)

Estimating potential increases in masturbation due to Nivea lotion.

Pirates' gonna pirate, Google fiber or not.

Drunk drivers gonna drive, pretty sure roads aren't necessary in the end.

Fappers gonna fap. Yeah.

Potato

No offense hollywood but lets look at a few related articles from around that time period

Poll was done in 2012 as ticket prices are rising as they continue to flog 3D

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2010/mar/25/3d-film-ticket-price-rise

Ticket prices at an all time high

http://screencrush.com/movie-ticket-prices-all-time-high/

But no its google fibres fault for rising piracy.

Good job at looking for the cause of piracy rather than pointing the finger at crying that the problem exists try fixing it sometime.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090