DirectX 12 Performance revealed - Threading Model Resembles AMD’s Mantle

DirectX 12 is on its way and it promises to bring massive performance improvements for PC gaming. The new API will achieve improved performance and efficiency by using multiple cores more effectively vs the current DirectX 11 API.

DirectX 12, the work gets split up.

Bottom line: In DirectX 11 this frame took almost 9ms to render.  In DirectX 12, it took about 4ms.  Now, how much real world improvement you get depends heavily on both the developer and the game.  But the reason we’re all getting so excited is that DirectX 12 should be the biggest performance bump for those who utilize it we’ve ever seen.

DX12’s Threading Model Resembles that of AMD’s API, Mantle

We’ve seen a focused and renewed invigoration in the low-level API arena which was first ignited by AMD’s Mantle API in 2013. We’ve seen many other low level APIs announced afterwards in 2014. Including Microsoft’s DX12, OpenGL NG by Khronos and Metal by Apple.
Graphics hardware grew ever more complex and advanced. The approach to programming today’s hardware had to be improved to keep up with the performance and efficiency demands of today.  Which is is why we’re seeing this massive push for low level APIs across the industry.
The leaked DX12 slides serve to underline this co-evolution of hardware and software. GPUs have become significantly faster and CPUs evolved into becoming much wider. This meant that to keep up with today’s GPUs we have to leverage all of the CPU’s potential rather than throw everything on a single core and hope it works out. This is exactly what AMD has done with Mantle and exactly what Microsoft is working towards with DX12.

image-e1418552085754.png

image_3.png

iMpQPnd0sxZ8u.png

Source : http://wccftech.com/dx12-revealed-compared-dx11/
 http://www.eteknix.com/directx-11-vs-directx-12-performance-slides-revealed

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

What new info do we get here? Apart from seemingly multithreading the User mode driver and getting rid of the kernelMD, they did nothing? and how the hell did they shrink kernel and "present" that much?

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Looking great so far, half rendering time would equal a huge gain for everyone using it.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

i heard the microsoft guys saying that dx12 will be hard to use  for and less experienced devs and instead use  dx11

which is odd since i heard the exact opposite when it came to mantle in terms of difficulty

can anyone explain why ?

source

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/directx-11-3-revealed-will-support-existing-dx11-gpus-will-be-packed-with-a-number-of-dx12-features/

, DX11.3 is meant to be used by inexperienced programmers that are unable to create fully functional DX12 engines. Microsoft won’t abandon DX11 that easily as it’s an API that will be used by a lot of developers in the next couple of years (despite the release of DX12).

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I hope Windows 7 will get DX12, it looks great so far.

I recall reading somewhere that it won't. Cba finding the source though.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

i think i heard they are not gonna support DX 12 windows 7 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

i heard the microsoft guys saying that dx12 will be hard to make games for and less experienced devs should use dx11

which is odd since i heard the exact opposite when it came to mantle in terms of difficulty

can anyone explain why ?

umm its harder in the sense that you have to manage alot more of your things. in 11.2 (and 3 when it comes) you will basically just say i want this to render, and also send this data to the CPU.

with 12 and mantle, you have to tell the gpu where to look for data that came from where, and then tell it to do this and that with it, and then tell it where to place it, after which you tell it to take data from somewhere, send it over something to a different somewhere, where the CPU takes care of it. 

its basically alot more memory management and "customizability". kinda like comparing Python (11.2/3, easy, but slow) to C++ (12, fast, but you basically have to define everything everywhere at anytime)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

umm its harder in the sense that you have to manage alot more of your things. in 11.2 (and 3 when it comes) you will basically just say i want this to render, and also send this data to the CPU.

with 12 and mantle, you have to tell the gpu where to look for data that came from where, and then tell it to do this and that with it, and then tell it where to place it, after which you tell it to take data from somewhere, send it over something to a different somewhere, where the CPU takes care of it. 

its basically alot more memory management and "customizability". kinda like comparing Python (11.2/3, easy, but slow) to C++ (12, fast, but you basically have to define everything everywhere at anytime)

As an end user, will games look better and run better under dx12? I honestly hope they do lol

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

do game devs have to fiddle with those or ir is it strictly a game engine thing

(make game in UE4 = instant dx12 magic)

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

As an end user, will games look better and run better under dx12? I honestly hope they do lol

look better? no*. Run better? you cant generalise this. if the programmers do a good job, yes, compared to that game on 11.x it will.

*not purely due to it being low level, there are some features apart from low level access in 12 that will deliver a nicer graphics experience

do game devs have to fiddle with those or ir is it strictly a game engine thing

(make game in UE4 = instant dx12 magic)

well if youre an indie dev studio, then no, you dont have to give a shit about this at all, you use UE4.x as you did so far, and maybe redo the shaders a little bit for it.

If youre Cloud Imperium Games, then yes, you do give a shit. you have a team of engine programmers, that will implement the DX12 features into your custom engine, and redo the shaders system to include the new rendering tools and such ;)

I hope Windows 10 rocks, so I can upgrade from 7 and benefit from tha best of Win8.

i heard the microsoft guys saying that dx12 will be hard to use  for and less experienced devs and instead use  dx11

can anyone explain why ?

Actually Mental is also hard to use for inexperienced devs or indie devs with small budgets.

That's the reason DirectX wasn't low level in the first place.(Sony also offers devs a Low Level and High Level API for Ps3/Ps4)

Being Low Level means you'll have to code tons of things for your self which normally DirectX11 would do for you.

DX12/Mantle would be a waste of effort for some devs that don't need to push 50-100k draw calls with tons of post processing.

But for a game like Star Citizen as an example DX12/Mantle will allow them to do things that are simply impossible with DX11 which makes the time well worth it.

RTX2070OC 

Why do people still want this on Windows 7? That OS is basically dead. It will only get security updates and not improvements or features. Just get Windows 8.1 and download classic shell to enjoy the performance. If there is windows 10, get that.

Why do people still want this on Windows 7? That OS is basically dead. It will only get security updates and not improvements or features. Just get Windows 8.1 and download classic shell to enjoy the performance. If there is windows 10, get that.

A lot of people dont like change. A lot more people have a pirated OS

317 is watching. 317 is everywhere. 317 is life.

That’s because it’s only recently been possible to create real-world fidelity in real-time.

I think I've heard this, or something similar, every single time a graphical engineer or sales rep from AMD/Nvida/DirectX/MiscGameEngine has opened their mouth over the last 15 years.

I think I've heard this, or something similar, every single time a graphical engineer or sales rep from AMD/Nvida/DirectX/MiscGameEngine has opened their mouth over the last 15 years.

because everytime we reach a new milestone, its something we couldnt imagine to do before, so naturally, youre excited.

A lot of people dont like change. A lot more people have a pirated OS

windows 7 64 ultimate in india is 5 times costlier than what it is priced in US , yes i have a pirated OS, i have no access to the original , i am a student 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

windows 7 64 ultimate in india is 5 times costlier than what it is priced in US , yes i have a pirated OS, i have no access to the original , i am a student 

dreamspark?

youre excited.

õ.Ó Eh?  I am? 

*scratched goatee & ponders*

Meh, I guess may be I could be if it nets my GT130m a few more FPS in modded skyrim.

Nah I am too skeptical to believe that that will happen.  Only sour grapes and bah-humbugs to be found here I'm afraid.

Though Ryan Shrout's recent video post about the improvements red team brought to low rent hardware has peek my interest.

õ.Ó Eh?  I am? 

*scratched goatee & ponders*

Meh, I guess may be I could be if it nets my GT130m a few more FPS in modded skyrim.

Nah I am too skeptical to believe that that will happen.  Only sour grapes and bah-humbugs to be found here.

Though Ryan Shrout's recent video post about the improvements red team brought to low rent hardware has peek my interest.

you as in the guy who announces new stuff on stage xD

dreamspark?

Dreamspark is a joke in India , it can only be verified by the schools or collages, and when i ask my collage, they replied, "what is that?" India is a 3rd world nation , these things are unknown to most of them , for one , i asked my bank to accept my debit card to authenticate paypal ,the manager didn't even know what i was talking about paypal 

TL;DR - No, you simply can not in India 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker