Solar Roadways Remain Expensive

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOZBrHqTJk4

There is a list of further sources in the description of the video

Someone has built a 70m long * 1.7m wide solar cycleway in Amsterdam for the sole purpose of reasearch and development. It cost $3 million.

Dave the electrical engineer (EEVblog) debunks, yet again solar roadways.

His main points are:

* On roads and cycleways solar panels are mounted flat and are far less efficient than if mounted facing the sun

* The protective glass on the cycleway must be much thicker than if it were roof mounted, blocking out more of the sun, plus the glass is textured not smooth

* The cost of making solar panels suitable for pathways is far higher (thicker glass, it has to be load bearing), plus they will need to be maintained unlike rooftop installations

* Paths get dirty and will have to be cleaned regularly or the already poor efficiency will suffer

Basically solar cycleways have a Cost to Energy ratio that it 1/8 of a rooftop installation and the payback time is (in best case scenario) over 40 years vs. just over 5 years for rooftop installations. Also solar panels lose about 1/2 their efficiency over a 20 year period. The takeaway is it is far more efficient just to mount the damn things on poles or roofs facing the sun.

But facts are irrelevant when it comes to companies making a ton off environmental research and protection.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It doesnt matter, If people want to support somthing that wont work, Let them do it.
It is not your money.

It is a fraud But if they believe it will work let them fail at it so they atleast understand it wont work.

There is No reason to bring it up.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

I don't know that this is news... Shouldn't this be somewhere else? 

Also, why should I care?

Because the concept is a nice idea, but it's not feasible and it would be nice to make it work, probably not gonna happen though

i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz 1.37v, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid, Asus z370-A Prime

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Samsung 960 Evo 256GB, Samsung 850Pro 1TB, WD 3TB HDD

NZXT H440 White, Corsair H100i GTX v2, EVGA 750G2

Corsair AF140 x1, Corsair SP120 x2, Noctua Industrial 3000 RPM x3

i see it as a proper investment, this way they can try it out in reallife and get real data instead of numbers wich come form assumptions and guesses, wich can be diffrent in reallife even when using the best number possible, like all science, the theory offers a image, but the practive beats all(quantum physics not included)

I admit it probarlly isn't profitable in the short term, neither where airplanes, nor some by products form oil refinery(car gas or certain plastics), nor atomic splitting(fission, is the right term?) and look a it now? the first three are a few of the most important things in the world at the moment.

these numbers are right and correct for now, but not knowing what they got up on their sleeve in the capital of this shithole(goverment wise) we are actually unable to draw proper numbers.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

...... Why not just do roof mounted ones and put a roof over the roadways? Would help with the rain and shit...

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

yes

did not even have to read it

called it a looooong time ago

bye bye 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Thanks for the update Sherlock

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Hmmmm.....I'm sure I read this on here aaaages ago.....

Soon we will have fusion reactors powering our major cities :D

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Because other methods are better atm doesn't mean we should stop trying.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

dont forget grip too! glass is a lot more slippery than asphalt. could cause accidents, and what if we have freezing rain? ice + asphalt is bad enough. ice + glass is even worse. will take longer to regain grip after it has been lost.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Why do you think we don't have these everywhere by now man?

First reason being the cost of installation.