AMD gets a new president and CEO

Bloodyvalley

She looks competent.  I'm eager to see what she brings to the table.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

I don't know why people look so impressed when it comes to the looks of the woman: it's a common thing in the business world/politics to have women dressing formaly, like men do, if they want to assume powerfull roles and they stick with such dressing code/style. You have plenty of examples of women doing so: Margaret Thatcher, Angela Merkel, Hillary Clinton... and the list goes on.

I wasn't aware AMD needed a new CEO.  Certainly more money devoted to R&D, but a leadership change? Hmm.

Also, I think the comments are a little inappropriate.  She doesn't look like a man.

AMD needs changes, they have been changing for the best imo in the past 2 years... but with a old CEO old habbits may return.

Let a new cycle begin.

Now let's hope for the Jen-Hsun Huang cycle to end as well before he crashes NVIDIA.

Well I'm not sure if OP could have been any more of a condescending dink full of assumptions, but I think she will do great. She's already been COO and held other positions at the company and from this interview she appears very articulate and focused, and seems to know exactly what her strategy is.

The extent to which people are focusing on her appearance is stupid and ignorant. I don't care what any person looks like, if they have the skills to do the job then that's what matters. Not their appearance, not their gender, not any other attribute.

Also here's a source since OP didn't provide one: http://techreport.com/news/27180/lisa-su-promoted-to-amd-ceo-as-rory-read-steps-down

i know, its rediculous the kind of shit thats being spewed in this thread.

"Hur hurr she look like man"

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

FX should lie down and stay dead. The age of dedicated CPUs in PCs is coming to a close. Heterogeneous computing is the future and it's already here.

well if intel actually had a competetor for there x99 line the prices would be slashed and we would have unlocked 12 cores by now

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

She doesn't mention money in the clip you shared, could you maybe explain how you came to that conclusion?

Thank you, if anything she seems really interested in the actual science going on on a far more detailed level than any of us could.

This seems promising for AMD.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

I have a feeling she is going to lead the company to shit because it seems like she only cares about money

That's perfect, AMD has been in debt for so many years. Let her monger the company back into a profitable business.

A smart, hard working, successful woman who knows what she's talking about is taking over a company but let's discuss her appearance.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

it seems like she only cares about money

Direct quote from the video:

"When I think about what's important to me, it's really about how do we do something that truly matters in the industry?"

FX should lie down and stay dead. The age of dedicated CPUs in PCs is coming to a close. Heterogeneous computing is the future and it's already here.

While the integrated GPUs in the A-Series are cool I really don't find them all that handy if you're going to be putting a dedicated GPU in anyways though for mobile devices having like an R7 or R9 on the die would be cool for those type of devices specifically... And I think it would be cool if AMD instead of going for 14nm maybe smaller...

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

I have a feeling she is going to lead the company to shit because it seems like she only cares about money

What? All these years she was a big part of the R&D department, if any she will invest much more money, specially for her area of expertise where she knows what are the good investments to do.

She is no marketing or economy professional and that's great, the innovators and geeks should be the ones leading, and this is the case. I think you felt intimidated by the suit and looks and talked too fast.

The forum disappoints me in this post, we are getting big news of something that can end up changing the tech world and you all are spewing stupidity of how this woman looks.

lol this might be the only time I agree with you.

AS s for Lisa Su, she is awesome and I hope she brings back the good ol' AMD!

Interesting.

I hope AMD really picks up traction, and we get real competition 

I like her, seems like a great pick. Hopefully she can manage to stear AMD back on the right track.

Cheers,

Linus

She was probably voted for a reason , hopefully that reason is not gender quotas.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

she is the best CEO in the world  ^_^ and i am really happy to see that this will lead AMD

-snip-

I don't know what you heard in the interview but I didn't hear anything about only making money, all I heard was she wants amd to make better and be a better company that wins in the power struggle against intel and NV. Plus amd is a company, in the end they are in it to make money.

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

She was probably voted for a reason , hopefully that reason is not gender quotas.

From the video it's pretty evident it wasn't. She's as qualified as anyone.

While the integrated GPUs in the A-Series are cool I really don't find them all that handy if you're going to be putting a dedicated GPU in anyways though for mobile devices having like an R7 or R9 on the die would be cool for those type of devices specifically... And I think it would be cool if AMD instead of going for 14nm maybe smaller...

Heterogeneous computing and acceleration. Look up OpenCL. It's easy to expand C++ to use it. Intel is claiming to put a whopping 2Teraflop iGPU on its chips specifically because it sees AMD's heterogeneous architecture as a possible threat to its hold in the server and supercomputer world. 

CPUs are good for serial tasks, and GPUs are great at parallel tasks. When you need raw compute (a lot of simultaneous boolean checking going on in an operating system), iGPU is great for that. The 4790k for example only has about 190 Gigaflops of computation power available, but the 4980HQ has more than double that, and all of that comes from the iGPU. You just have to know how to use it.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

well if intel actually had a competetor for there x99 line the prices would be slashed and we would have unlocked 12 cores by now

Yes to the first but no to the second. Until programmers catch up to the hardware, there's no point.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

>Sees the new CEO

>Expects an old male Asian person's voice

>Gets a fluid woman person's voice

No offense to the new the CEO or anything, but I was expecting something completely different...

Either way, good for her, and can't wait to see where she leads the company. 

COMIC SANS

Does look like a dude...

I'm subbed to AMD's YouTube channel and when I saw the thumbnail without any context I thought it was a dude too.

Not without widespread support, particularly in the enterprise market (everything trickles down from there).

In essence, it means not until Intel do it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Not without widespread support, particularly in the enterprise market (everything trickles down from there).

In essence, it means not until Intel do it.

Intel's already there.

Intel's already there.

Not with true HSA support, AFAIK.

At least, not the OpenCL to C interpretation. Which means that software giants seen't yet coding for it.

When HSA comes to Office, I'll accept it as being widespread

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO