AMD gets a new president and CEO

Bloodyvalley

well, we do have 512sp (on many APUs) and we can cool that with a tiny heatsink  :wub:

Servers wont jump to integrated GPs over dGPU any time soon. dGPU is a specialized processor.

Integrated GPs suffer from lack of diespace.

Scalability also becomes a huge issue with a pure integrated solution.

Cores under a light load (running cooler) will act as a passive heatsink for nearby cores (providing more surface area to the IHS). AMD has released some documentation on this a while back somewhere around Llano stages of their APU's.

Heat spreader?

Intel CAN build a more powerful graphics chip than Nvidia, at least if their scaling is anything to go by, but I'm not delusional. You can get more total out of a dedicated unit, but for most of the enterprise market where cooling is more expensive than the electricity to run the things, having 1 SOC with a lower thermal output than a dGPU while having VERY comparable performance (when you can fit 4 in a U1 tray vs. 1 dGPU) puts Nvidia in a very bad position. The bulk of their profits come from Tesla and Quadro sales. If Intel continues to multiply their Flops by 2.4 each generation Nvidia will be swallowed in 6 years on the enterprise side completely outside the highest end supercomputers. For workstations, Intel's price tag is so much better compared to a FirePro or Quadro too it will make more sense to get a dual-CPU motherboard with 2 of Intel's chips rather than wasting 6 grand on the top Quadro.

My argument is a lot more general than raw performance. It's performance per dollar, per electric watt, and per btu (heat) that makes integrated an all-around more desirable solution for most of the world.

I just cannot ever see iGPUs matching dGPU to the point whereby a £100 graphics card won't beat the crap out of the iGPU.

What Intel are doing are catching up. However, with limited die space (Both nvidia and amds high end cards are 500mm sq+, bigger than 1150 and nearly as big as 2011), Intel are going to hit a wall where I can't ever see an iGPU having more than half the performance of a high end dedicated card. And if we'rd talking about cutting the amount of time to complete a task in half (Say a 12 hour render on an iGPU vs 6 on a dGPU), therefore allowing you to get effectively twice as much work done a month while paying your employees the same, versus an extra £500 in electricity and £1000 in cooling a month, I think most companies would choose the former.

Also, many 3 and 4U rack units will fit up to four cards, so adding more Ian't a massive problem

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

And you being glad you sold your shares for that reason makes you no less of a dick.

k den

I don't think it's because she is a female that the stock is dropping. I think it has more to do with there being a lot of uncertainty regarding AMD's financial situation and future right now. The kneejerk reaction to huge changes which brings uncertainty is to sell stock, and that causes the prices to go down. It was just ~3 years since AMD changed CEO, and frequently changing leader is not something investors like. I am 99% sure we would have seen the same thing happen if it was a man who took over the role.

Hopefully this will be a positive change for AMD because they really haven't been that great for the last few years. I am not so sure changing CEO during tough times is a great idea but only time will tell.

I don't think it will get worse (financially) at least.

Very good interview. I have a decent amount of faith in Lisa but it will probably take quite some time before we actually see the effect of her leadership (since AMD already has some products in the pipeline). The only thing that worries me is that she might be too much of an engineer to suit the CEO role. We don't want to end up with another Xerox PARC (a ton of great products, none of which they managed to make decent money from).

I don't really get why everyone is getting so defensive about people commenting on her looks. Pretty much everyone who hears Larry Page talk wonders why he sounds so strange and I wouldn't call those people "voice-phobics".

I have no idea how it's "homophobic" or "genderphobic" to say "she looks like a guy". It's just a description. She does look quite masculine, end of story. I don't think we need to repeat it over and over but I don't think we need a bunch of people defending it over and over either.

Now if people said "she is a woman so she won't be able to run the company" then I would understand the need to defend her, but that's not at all what is going on in this thread.

Yes, I agree that the reason isn't solely on her being female, and I think you're right that the main reason is AMD's uncertain situation. The reason I see it is AMD's stock has only risen 2 dollars in one year and with a ceo change and a low chance of return share holders are jumping ship.

I just cannot ever see iGPUs matching dGPU to the point whereby a £100 graphics card won't beat the crap out of the iGPU.

What Intel are doing are catching up. However, with limited die space (Both nvidia and amds high end cards are 500mm sq+, bigger than 1150 and nearly as big as 2011), Intel are going to hit a wall where I can't ever see an iGPU having more than half the performance of a high end dedicated card. And if we'rd talking about cutting the amount of time to complete a task in half (Say a 12 hour render on an iGPU vs 6 on a dGPU), therefore allowing you to get effectively twice as much work done a month while paying your employees the same, versus an extra £500 in electricity and £1000 in cooling a month, I think most companies would choose the former.

Also, many 3 and 4U rack units will fit up to four cards, so adding more Ian't a massive problem

Space is never the problem. The cooling and cost of replacement is. When has an iGPU ever failed/broken? The failure rate of dGPUs in 5 years is still 8%. CPU failures are in the range of < 0.1% when kept at recommended (stock) settings. You're missing a lot of the details of cost. Beyond that, look at the huge process node difference between Intel and Nvidia: 14 vs. 28nm, and the Iris Pro 6200 iGPU will deliver 2 Teraflops in less than 1/4 the die space of GM204 while boasting greater power efficiency than Maxwell by far and running only at 1GHz. And those who have pushed the Iris chips far have seen them reach 2.5GHz or more stable. How's that for iGPU power?

dGPU will always have the ability to be more powerful, but by how much, and in what form factors, power envelopes, and heat envelopes? iGPU can replace dGPU for most people up to a point, and it will force competition on workstation GPUs so prices will plummet, one more way Intel intends to eat a hole in AMD's and Nvidia's market share.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Very good interview. I have a decent amount of faith in Lisa but it will probably take quite some time before we actually see the effect of her leadership (since AMD already has some products in the pipeline). The only thing that worries me is that she might be too much of an engineer to suit the CEO role. We don't want to end up with another Xerox PARC (a ton of great products, none of which they managed to make decent money from).

Isn't that why you'd have a COO, CFO and CTO working with the CEO to develop the overall strategy?

She headed up the R&D department before being appointed CEO, and has a background in engineering - the leadership being in tune with the product development (and speaking the same "language" as them) could be a great thing for AMD.

Anyway, the last thing we want is for AMD to fail. We really don't want Intel to have a monopoly on CPUs and nVIdia to have a monopoly on GPUs. I'd hope that nobody on this forum would need explaining why that would be a bad thing for the industry and for the consumer.

Go_Lisa.jpg

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

If she makes a new CPU line that isn't just a stupid AM3+ FX buff, she could be the dumbest person in the world for all I care.

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

I don't care much for AMD, so I don't really care much about this

What if because of her AMD ends up being better then Intel in 4 years :o

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

dGPU will always have the ability to be more powerful, but by how much, and in what form factors, power envelopes, and heat envelopes? iGPU can replace dGPU for most people up to a point, and it will force competition on workstation GPUs so prices will plummet, one more way Intel intends to eat a hole in AMD's and Nvidia's market share.

iGP will have the smallest impact on workstations GPUs.

iGPs are currently eating the entry level systems.

AMD and Nvidia will/is also develop APUs. Intel won't eat up AMDs nor Nvidias marketshare.

However when they standard increase, dGPUs will regain marketshare.

When 4K gaming become the standard, dGPUs will regain marketshare, simply because they will have the advantage of more throughput.

And we are not even mentioning something like ray tracing.

iGPs have a long way. If the standard did not change, then iGPs WOULD take over much faster.