AMD gets a new president and CEO

Bloodyvalley

For mobile applications it seems fine but the whole unit would have to be replaced if you wanted to upgrade just a single thing and then comes compatibility say you buy an LGA2011 CPU and Integrated GPU is your only option you have to upgrade to a new socket and obviously that means spending more money than say just getting a new GPU if you wanted to upgrade just one thing... Sure it's cool and all and it's getting to a decent point but it seems inefficient...

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Yes to the first but no to the second. Until programmers catch up to the hardware, there's no point.

We need the hardware to begin with to optimize our code for it. Hardware first, software follows.

Not with true HSA support, AFAIK.

At least, not the OpenCL to C interpretation. Which means that software giants seen't yet coding for it.

When HSA comes to Office, I'll accept it as being widespread

Of course not HSA support. They have their own. You really think Intel would fork over licensing fees to ARM and AMD? Keep dreaming. They'll emulate HSA and build a fully heterogeneous system and the programming environment to use it.

The only thing in office which would benefit is Excel, and frankly with SSE 4.2 it's almost pointless to support HSA when Intel's own chips will send things off to the iGPU automatically under the standard if they are large enough.

We need the hardware to begin with to optimize our code for it. Hardware first, software follows.

Nope, compilers are made before hardware. Before a chip design is ever fabbed, the C compiler is made for it.

For mobile applications it seems fine but the whole unit would have to be replaced if you wanted to upgrade just a single thing and then comes compatibility say you buy an LGA2011 CPU and Integrated GPU is your only option you have to upgrade to a new socket and obviously that means spending more money than say just getting a new GPU if you wanted to upgrade just one thing... Sure it's cool and all and it's getting to a decent point but it seems inefficient...

That's why iGPU is coming to Skylake-E. Everything is going heterogeneous and Intel knows it.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Of course not HSA support. They have their own. You really think Intel would fork over licensing fees to ARM and AMD? Keep dreaming. They'll emulate HSA and build a fully heterogeneous system and the programming environment to use it.

The only thing in office which would benefit is Excel, and frankly with SSE 4.2 it's almost pointless to support HSA when Intel's own chips will send things off to the iGPU automatically under the standard if they are large enough.

I assumed HSA was an arching term (like RISC) and not an instruction set.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

I assumed HSA was an arching term (like RISC) and not an instruction set.

It's a framework more than it is an instruction set, meant to marry AM64 (and thus EMT64 by proxy with a little tweaking to Intel's microcode) to the SIMD units in the iGPU right next door. This of course extends to ARM, but it's a compiler thing.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

SEE! theyre always copying nvidia! now they also got a asian CEO! jk ;)

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Nope, compilers are made before hardware. Before a chip design is ever fabbed, the C compiler is made for it.

Compilers aren't designed for specific core count, I can optimize code for a 12 core 24 thread CPU right now without an updated compiler. It's a matter of how you handle your threads and it is quite easy to optimize code for future hardware right now just by checking how many threads the OS is capable of executing. So no, compilers aren't made for specific microprocessors. They are only designed to compile code capable of being executed by the microprocessors instructions. I could even go back to VB6 and write code that is optimized to run on the i7-5960x.

I have a feeling she is going to lead the company to shit because it seems like she only cares about money

You sound so depressing, just becuz is a she involved. I almost got cancer by reading that. *pukes*

Compilers aren't designed for specific core count, I can optimize code for a 12 core 24 thread CPU right now without an updated compiler. It's a matter of how you handle your threads and it is quite easy to optimize code for future hardware right now just by checking how many threads the OS is capable of executing. So no, compilers aren't made for specific microprocessors. They are only designed to compile code capable of being executed by the microprocessors instructions. I could even go back to VB6 and write code that is optimized to run on the i7-5960x.

Sorry, I mean compilers are designed for new instructions before a chip with those instructions is fabled. :)

She seems like a great fit for the job. Well educated in technical sciences and quite enthusiastic about it so I would guess that she is driven by progress and innovation rather than pure profit. I hope AMD goes all in for APU and HSA segment.

And for those of you commenting "is that a she" or "I thought it was a dude", grow the fuck up. I know that there are a lot of kids on this forum but if you are old enough to be able to make an account and use a forum, you should at least have some decency and mental capacity to show some respect towards someone that is clearly above your level.  

SEE! theyre always copying nvidia! now they also got a asian CEO! jk ;)

Both based in California, Both have a asian CEO

AMD needs to start pushing the boundaries of technology if they want to stay alive.

If they stay stagnant with the whole "Our stuff is good... for the price" stigma that is associated with AMD then they will fail. They need to be real competitors to Intel and Nvidia. Their products have to be good because they are good, not cause they're cheap.

Would've liked to see Roy be head honcho.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

as a once die-hard fanboy who proudly held shares back when they were worth $20+ a share

and watching it drop to the joke that it is now (I gave up hope around when it dropped to the $7 range), I really hope this new CEO can turn the company around

Cool, I wish her and Team Red all the best.

TIL: There are a disappointingly high number of homophobes and genderphobes on LTT forums.

That number being more than none.

Grow the fuck up.

I totally wanna do her....a favor and tell her to rock the place.

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength" Arnold

Both based in California, Both have a asian CEO

And they both make GPUs!

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

This means one of two things.

1) The company is secretly imploding

2) It will soon be run in to the ground

Good thing I sold my shares when AMD was at 4.7, it seems like their stock is falling a bit because a female ceo is uncommon.

Well I'm not sure if OP could have been any more of a condescending dink full of assumptions, but I think she will do great. She's already been COO and held other positions at the company and from this interview she appears very articulate and focused, and seems to know exactly what her strategy is.

The extent to which people are focusing on her appearance is stupid and ignorant. I don't care what any person looks like, if they have the skills to do the job then that's what matters. Not their appearance, not their gender, not any other attribute.

Also here's a source since OP didn't provide one: http://techreport.com/news/27180/lisa-su-promoted-to-amd-ceo-as-rory-read-steps-down

Honestly i dont know why but i thought she already was CEO since FEB. Kept seeing her everywhere and with talk of them changing the CEO since 2013 i thought they already changed to her.

|CPU : Core i7 4770 (non-K :( ) | GPU : XFX RX 480 GTR 8GB @ 1385Mhz | MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 | PSU: XFX 850W PRO | Case: In-Progress Silverstone TJ-07 |

Zenfone 2 ZE551ml 32GB + 64GB SD - Rooted LineageOS |

Good thing I sold my shares when AMD was at 4.7, it seems like their stock is falling a bit because a female ceo is uncommon.

And you being glad you sold your shares for that reason makes you no less of a dick.

She is a doctor. 

She will heal AMD. 

Oh wait, she isn't that kind of doctor? 

Crap....

FX should lie down and stay dead. The age of dedicated CPUs in PCs is coming to a close. Heterogeneous computing is the future and it's already here.

I think they understand this better than anyone else does.