Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr

Microsoft seems to be working really hard to make Windows decent :)

On the current latest build (10049), if you set your screen to 125% DPI, and sign out and back in.

If you open Disk management and device manager, you'll notice something interesting. Under Windows 8 these programs were simply not high-DPI aware, so they scaled blurry. But now you can see there is scaling being applies but it is very sharp (a bit too sharp).

For device manager is looks pretty darn good, until you access the property pane of a item, and roll over your mouse on a button where you see the animation of the fade to blue.

For disk manager, it looks really good everywhere, except the bottom visual drives pane of the program.

I think this shows Microsoft new scaling algorithm for unsupported high-DPI aware programs. While not perfect, it is miles better. Worth a quick look if you ask me. Currently it only works on these 2 programs. But I wonder if it will be applied everywhere later on, or they just hacked up the thing to just make these 2 programs better, and other programs will be like Windows 8 blurry.

I do know that Disk Manager is made by VERITAS Software, so probably that is why Microsoft can't fix it, they need to make their own disk management utility. As for Device Management, all I can think about is that it is like Pinball 3D game, where everyone that worked on it is long gone and the code is a huge mess, so no one touches it.

At 200%, every programs that aren't high-DPI supported, and Disk management and device management looks perfect, like if it was high-DPI aware since day 1.

Anyone know why Corsair Link and Ai Suite ii have compatibility issues? 

With the latest build, being seeing a lot of compatibility issues for newly installed softwares.

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Anyone know why Corsair Link and Ai Suite ii have compatibility issues? 

With the latest build, being seeing a lot of compatibility issues for newly installed softwares.

I don't have these software, but what do you mean compatibility issue? Do you get an error when you run it?

I don't have these software, but what do you mean compatibility issue? Do you get an error when you run it?

Pic attached.

It just pops up as soon as I try to open the program. 

post-165109-0-17802000-1429228466.png

rename the program executable, and run it :)

(you'll need to redo the shortcuts because of this)

Let me know how it works out :D

Thanks m8!

Works now!

Thanks m8!

Works now!

:)

The reason for this, is that Microsoft blocked a list of programs which could play with the system stability or (in the case of A/V, want Defender to be used for testing possibly), to make debugging better/easier for them. I don't expect this block remaining.

So apparently the Active Directory Domain Service is broken:

malntmg.png

It worked in the previous build. Now, I can't print over the network in build 10049.

Strangely enough my network printer spooling service shows up in device manager. But looking in Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Devices and Printers shows my network print server, but from the looks of it it is broken as the context menu for the device is also missing entries and is also broken:

567vyUo.png

I believe it may be due to broken drivers at the moment.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I have EXACTLY the same printer as you, connected via Ethernet to my router, and I can print just fine.

My system is not part of a domain.

...My system is not part of a domain.

Maybe that is why? I'll try a non domained PC with the technical preview and see what happens. 

May I also ask if you are using a local account or a microsoft account to login to Windows 10?

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Update:

So apparently the driver was misbehaving. I re-installed the driver via the standalone Windows DPInst tool (that brother kindly provides) and all is working well.

Apparently I can't update the driver via device manager as I don't have that option.

Have they made a nice and easy way to switch between audio outputs?

Same as Windows 8 :/

New Build! 10061 out to insiders (us, that is).

You need to be on the fast ring to see it.

Interesting... I expected a release for BUILD event. Maybe it is to prepare for the slow ring users, basically be the consumer preview release.

Anyway, we will see, in the mean time... downloading... :)

New Build! 10061 out to insiders (us, that is).

You need to be on the fast ring to see it.

Interesting... I expected a release for BUILD event. Maybe it is to prepare for the slow ring users, basically be the consumer preview release.

Anyway, we will see, in the mean time... downloading... :)

What are the new features in it?

What are the new features in it?

New recycle bin icon, the same one found here:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/330450-microsoft-asks-for-feedback-on-its-new-set-of-icons-of-windows-10/

However the other icons aren't changed.

black theme, but no option to switch yet, Windows Apps don't adapt yet to black. New Outlook (aka: Mail) app, calendar app, which both looks really mature compared to before (Windows 8 version), and nice looking. Improvement on Tablet mode for touch controls, new on/off slider buttons on panels. Lots of minor improvements.

Start menu can't lunch desktop programs however, it just crashes if you do. So that will be annoying, but I expect either Microsoft to release a Windows Updfate, or fixed in a new build r3eleased shortly after Windows BUILD event (noting official, just my personal expectation. I expect, based on previous BUILD event, that on day 1 they'll show some final Windows 10 features, improvements, and refinements, Windows 10 Phone (lots about it), and Windows 10 on embeded devices. Then talk and focus the entire BUILD event on Universal Apps (which we will see how they are officially called) and DirectX12. And also announce the release of Visual Studio 2015.

Microsoft is betting big with Universal Apps. Heck almost everything in Windows 10 in terms of extra software are Universal Apps. Seeing how they are more powerful in every way compared to Windows 8, and the fact that Word, Excel, and PowerPoint touch version (universal app version), is Windows 10 (in the sense that Windows 8 won't have it, but Android and iOS users already enjoy those apps), says that the universal apps are now serious business, and WAY more powerful than ModernUI apps of Windows 8. Considering that the same code will run on all devices, and just minor UI tweaks needed, should get high attention from developers, especially that touch based devices are running Windows more and more popular, and Windows 10 will get a lot of Windows 7 and 8 users, especially that it will be free for home users. Businesses should follow up after 1-2 years after Windows 10 is released. Probably will wait for 10.1 to release. All in all, it will boost apps, which will benefit greatly Windows 10 on Phones, which will (hopefully fro Microsoft) fix Windows Phone biggest problem: no apps.

New recycle bin icon, the same one found here:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/330450-microsoft-asks-for-feedback-on-its-new-set-of-icons-of-windows-10/

However the other icons aren't changed.

black theme, but no option to switch yet, Windows Apps don't adapt yet to black. New Outlook (aka: Mail) app, calendar app, which both looks really mature compared to before (Windows 8 version), and nice looking. Improvement on Tablet mode for touch controls, new on/off slider buttons on panels. Lots of minor improvements.

Start menu can't lunch desktop programs however, it just crashes if you do. So that will be annoying, but I expect either Microsoft to release a Windows Updfate, or fixed in a new build r3eleased shortly after Windows BUILD event (noting official, just my personal expectation. I expect, based on previous BUILD event, that on day 1 they'll show some final Windows 10 features, improvements, and refinements, Windows 10 Phone (lots about it), and Windows 10 on embeded devices. Then talk and focus the entire BUILD event on Universal Apps (which we will see how they are officially called) and DirectX12. And also announce the release of Visual Studio 2015.

Microsoft is betting big with Universal Apps. Heck almost everything in Windows 10 in terms of extra software are Universal Apps. Seeing how they are more powerful in every way compared to Windows 8, and the fact that Word, Excel, and PowerPoint touch version (universal app version), is Windows 10 (in the sense that Windows 8 won't have it, but Android and iOS users already enjoy those apps), says that the universal apps are now serious business, and WAY more powerful than ModernUI apps of Windows 8. Considering that the same code will run on all devices, and just minor UI tweaks needed, should get high attention from developers, especially that touch based devices are running Windows more and more popular, and Windows 10 will get a lot of Windows 7 and 8 users, especially that it will be free for home users. Businesses should follow up after 1-2 years after Windows 10 is released. Probably will wait for 10.1 to release. All in all, it will boost apps, which will benefit greatly Windows 10 on Phones, which will (hopefully fro Microsoft) fix Windows Phone biggest problem: no apps.

No option to switch it? That sucks, I wanted the black theme.

But, when the leaked build 10061 was out, people did some regedit thing to get the dark theme...

It's force dark theme right now, but the apps are still white. So it looks like the switch system is not finished implementing yet. Maybe next build.

I'm using Oracle's Virtual Box, is there a way to put get it to run in full-screen (1080p?) The only options I get are weird 4:3 resolutions. Also no sound using recommended settings (the ones in the first post) but I'll play around hopefully it'll work in the end.

Selecting full screen in the VM's settings just makes the general window bigger but doesn't change the resolutions I can select or resize it.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

I'm using Oracle's Virtual Box, is there a way to put get it to run in full-screen (1080p?) The only options I get are weird 4:3 resolutions. Also no sound using recommended settings (the ones in the first post) but I'll play around hopefully it'll work in the end.

Selecting full screen in the VM's settings just makes the general window bigger but doesn't change the resolutions I can select or resize it.

If you got the guest additions installed just go to View -> Auto resize guest display from there whenever you resize the window or go to fullscreen the guest resolution will change to accommodate the window size.