Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr

Windows Phone 8.1 can store apps on another drive. Although the desktop variant seems to need hackery done in order to accomplish it. So I guess its a welcomed change although most apps don't tend to be that big in size other than games which are still relatively small.

Yea they typically aren't large but I have a drive dedicated to apps so this is nice to have. Plus, in windows 10 store, win32 apps can be installed as well from the store. Some games may take up more space to. Options are always best though.

I dont know if this has been talked about here but I was on Windows Central and found this article. http://www.windowscentral.com/how-install-windows-10-apps-external-drive

You can install windows apps from the store to something other then the C drive. I believe that in windows 8.1 they have to be installed to the c drive(as far as I know. Tell me if I am wrong). No more though. Pick which drive in windows 10.

Yea it was talked about by Microsoft. It's been several builds the feature is there.

Snap seems to be really buggy in the latest build

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

10130 is on the fast ring 

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/05/29/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-10130-for-pcs/?OCID=ANNOUNCEMENTS_SOC_TW_ORGANIC_BUILD10130&linkId=14605049

highlights

• start customization options are enabled
  • new icons (imo they can be better but they are decent enough to not get annoyed by like the previous ones)
  • jump list on taskbar matches the XAML design
  • continuum improvements
  • more improvements to edge (is still named spartan in this build)
  • cortana now has a keyboard shortcut, WIN + C enables listening 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

10130 is on the fast ring 

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/05/29/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-10130-for-pcs/?OCID=ANNOUNCEMENTS_SOC_TW_ORGANIC_BUILD10130&linkId=14605049

highlights

• start customization options are enabled
  • new icons (imo they can be better but they are decent enough to not get annoyed by like the previous ones)
  • jump list on taskbar matches the XAML design
  • continuum improvements
  • more improvements to edge (is still named spartan in this build)
  • cortana now has a leopard shortcut, WIN + C enables listening 

10047 recently had trouble with my GPU drivers again. I'm hopping to Fast. This will in no way end badly.

Well, I can use my HDMI port and my monitor again. When fixing a computer doesn't work, sometimes the solution is to break the computer.

Might do a clean install of build 10130 with the official ESD now leaked. Debating... to dive or not to dive...

Hello,

Just pop up a windows icon close to my clock saying to put my email and get a windows 10

Have a few questions that maybe already been asked, but if someone help me would be nice

- The version i will receive is still a preview or some beta?

- Is safe to change to Win10 now?

- Saw people saying that to get a clean install of windows 10 you need to install windows 7 or 8 anyway

Thanks for the help

Hello,

Just pop up a windows icon close to my clock saying to put my email and get a windows 10

Have a few questions that maybe already been asked, but if someone help me would be nice

- The version i will receive is still a preview or some beta?

- Is safe to change to Win10 now?

- Saw people saying that to get a clean install of windows 10 you need to install windows 7 or 8 anyway

Thanks for the help

Windows 10 is not officially released. You are using beta version of Windows 10. You need to a part of the Windows Insider program to use Windows 10. That means you needs to be 18+ of age and require to read carefully and accept the term and condition of using Windows 10 Insider Preview (as it is called, currently), and privacy policy (ie: you are being tracked)

Microsoft does not recommend to use Windows 10 in its beta form as your main system, and to wait for the official release. Critical issues could exists which can affect your experience, have crashes and issues, including potentially permanent data loss. Remember, the role of an Operating system is to operate your system, without one, your computer is nothing more than a pricey door stop. It instructs everything inside your system, and manages multiple program, scheduling, peripherals, devices, and more, ensuring no conflicts (assuming no bugs), and all request done by the user fulfilled.

Windows 10 Insider Preview can be download for free once you register. You have a nice ISO. You can also upgrade a Windows 7 or 8 system to Windows 10 Insider Preview.

Expect to format and re-install everything once Windows 10 is released. Even if you don't, I would highly recommend to do so, to ensure you are not carrying debug stuff and beta files to the final release which will affect your experience.

Windows 10 is not officially released. You are using beta version of Windows 10. You need to a part of the Windows Insider program to use Windows 10. That means you needs to be 18+ of age and require to read carefully and accept the term and condition of using Windows 10 Insider Preview (as it is called, currently), and privacy policy (ie: you are being tracked)

Microsoft does not recommend to use Windows 10 in its beta form as your main system, and to wait for the official release. Critical issues could exists which can affect your experience, have crashes and issues, including potentially permanent data loss. Remember, the role of an Operating system is to operate your system, without one, your computer is nothing more than a pricey door stop. It instructs everything inside your system, and manages multiple program, scheduling, peripherals, devices, and more, ensuring no conflicts (assuming no bugs), and all request done by the user fulfilled.

Windows 10 Insider Preview can be download for free once you register. You have a nice ISO. You can also upgrade a Windows 7 or 8 system to Windows 10 Insider Preview.

Expect to format and re-install everything once Windows 10 is released. Even if you don't, I would highly recommend to do so, to ensure you are not carrying debug stuff and beta files to the final release which will affect your experience.

I understand only the Technical Preview is supposed to be out right now but the pop-up says it's the full release of Windows 10? It doesn't seem like the download is going but when I go to Windows Update it says it's downloading updates atm when I try to download an optional Windows Defender update.

I hopped on this train for a while, but I got sick of using the tech preview as my daily driver due to crashes. Has it gotten any better with that yet?

I hopped on this train for a while, but I got sick of using the tech preview as my daily driver due to crashes. Has it gotten any better with that yet?

No. This is a technical preview.

No. This is a technical preview.

Errr Okay? I'm aware that it's a tech preview. I was asking if the constant crashing has lessened over subsequent updates since I uninstalled it back in January. I'm interested in trying it out again before I get the Windows 10 upgrade, assuming it's stable enough.

It got massively better, especially if you are on the last build in the fast ring.

However still work needs to be done, by it is coming along nicely.

So far, Intel doesn't have drivers for Win10 (but that is normal, they usually wait for the last minute), and AMD is having trouble. Microsoft is helping AMD. Nvidia has no problem.

I understand only the Technical Preview is supposed to be out right now but the pop-up says it's the full release of Windows 10? It doesn't seem like the download is going but when I go to Windows Update it says it's downloading updates atm when I try to download an optional Windows Defender update.

Sorry, I don't understand what you just said, can you please rephrase?

I don't want to give incorrect answers.

Errr Okay? I'm aware that it's a tech preview. I was asking if the constant crashing has lessened over subsequent updates since I uninstalled it back in January. I'm interested in trying it out again before I get the Windows 10 upgrade, assuming it's stable enough.

I upgraded my Windows 8.1 install to Build 10130 last night and it went pretty smooth. It's stable and works as you would expect. I installed the Windows 8.1 graphics driver package that you would get from AMD's website as the beta drivers available in Windows Update are a mess. I installed Build 10074 a while back and was immediately disgusted with it and reverted back to Windows 8.1. Although I can say I'm now seeing the potential in Build 10130. Windows 10 is in it's polishing stages right now so every build onward will continue to get better and better.

Sorry, I don't understand what you just said, can you please rephrase?

I don't want to give incorrect answers.

When I got that new pop-up for a Windows 10 reservation, a few mins later Windows Update downloaded an update silently, I thought it might've been Windows 10 early somehow. Turns out it wasn't, but update history doesn't show anything downloaded the last day or so. Very odd.

When I got that new pop-up for a Windows 10 reservation, a few mins later Windows Update downloaded an update silently, I thought it might've been Windows 10 early somehow. Turns out it wasn't, but update history doesn't show anything downloaded the last day or so. Very odd.

Ah ok!

The notification update was downloaded by Windows a while back, but was not activated until now.

So yes, it is just an advert informing you of Windows 10 coming soon (July 29th), and be able to reserve it. Reserve means that a few days before it is officially released, it will download Windows 10 on your system, so that on July 29th you can upgrade to it on day 1, and not have the same problem with Windows 8.1 upgrade, where everyone got it at once, more or less, and Microsoft server were overloaded, and then it took 1 to even 2 weeks for people to be able to get it. A smart system.

It got massively better, especially if you are on the last build in the fast ring.

However still work needs to be done, by it is coming along nicely.

So far, Intel doesn't have drivers for Win10 (but that is normal, they usually wait for the last minute), and AMD is having trouble. Microsoft is helping AMD. Nvidia has no problem.

Actually, the latest Intel iGPU driver do support Windows 10:

5dWOTTz.png

Just thought I'd let you guys know. It's stable on my laptop, and I can playback 1080p just fine. As for gaming, well, it's an iGPU, so you cant expect much :P.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Do we have a solid answer on eligibility for Technical Previewers?

Regarding whether or not their upgrade to RTM will be activated on final release?

If so, the answer for now is maybe. Microsoft officially states that people running the technical preview will be able to update to RTM. If you have an OEM machine with UEFI (such as an laptop), the activation key/code is stored in the SLIC table on the UEFI, so RTM the builds should activate without any input.

I suspect that on older machines, the OEM/Retail key used before you installed the tech preview would need to be manually entered on final release, but will still be eligible for activation.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I don't know which Intel GPU you have, but the mobile Intel doesn't work.

I had to go in the inf file, and modify the file to change Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 everywhere, delete the driver signature, restart Windows 10 under disable driver signature mode, and now I could install it.

My guess is that we remain under Insider Preview and continue to get beta builds, to the path to Windows 10.1

Regarding whether or not their upgrade to RTM will be activated on final release?

If so, the answer for now is maybe. Microsoft officially states that people running the technical preview will be able to update to RTM. If you have an OEM machine with UEFI (such as an laptop), the activation key/code is stored in the SLIC table on the UEFI, so RTM the builds should activate without any input.

I suspect that on older machines, the OEM/Retail key used before you installed the tech preview would need to be manually entered on final release, but will still be eligible for activation.

I have a Sony laptop that came with 8 pre-installed and upgraded to 8.1, then got a pro licence from Dreamspark. So I have an OEM and a full licence.

Thanks for the reply.

Anyway i receive a email from microsoft saying that my free upgrade will be ready on July 29

On July 29 will be the full windows right? No beta or Preview

Do you guys know if they will provide a ISO or can only use Windows Update

I don't know which Intel GPU you have, but the mobile Intel doesn't work.

I had to go in the inf file, and modify the file to change Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 everywhere, delete the driver signature, restart Windows 10 under disable driver signature mode, and now I could install it.

I have the HD Graphics 4000 on an 3rd gen i5. All I had to do was download the latest driver from Intel's website and it worked without a hitch, sorta:

Let me elaborate a bit: In build 9926 there was an Intel iGPU driver which was pushed through Windows Update. If you had that particular driver version installed, trying to update to the latest one provided by Intel always failed. I had to roll back the driver in device manager, restart, and then the latest driver from Intel would install.

I would check what driver version you have in device manager. If you did get the iGPU graphics driver update through Windows Update, that may be causing your issues.

Note: When downloading the latest driver from Intel, select the WIn 8.1 64 bit option, it installs and supports Windows 10 per the screenshot I shared earlier.

I have a Sony laptop that came with 8 pre-installed and upgraded to 8.1, then got a pro licence from Dreamspark. So I have an OEM and a full licence.

You'll most likely be updated to Windows 10 non-pro. I have something similar, my laptop came with Windows 8 core. I upgraded to Pro+WMC. 

I just checked the product key library on my machine:

zvBEIjI.png

I only have the Windows 8 Core key from the UEFI. The Pro+WMC keys I bought aren't in the key registry. Which in all likelihood means we will need to manually re-activate/upgrade from the Core sku to core-pro sku via the Add Features to Windows setting in control panel and re-adding our Windows 8 Pro keys:

AddFeature041.png

I hope that clears up that question!

EDIT: The other product keys are still technically on my machine in the Windows.old directory from upgrading. Microsoft might figure out a way to copy/migrate over activation from previous versions.