Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr

10041 is still too far unpolished for my tastes. Windows 10 has a long way to go before it's even close to suitable for RTM.

I know right? I remember testing the Windows 7 preview and everything felt pretty finished UI wise. With windows 8 preview things were caught between two very different versions of how things should look. I didn't mind because it was a preview. But we have been through two itereations of Windows 8 and in a few months Windows 10 will be released. And they still have not managed to make any sense of where they want to go design wise. It is so redundant to have the same settings in two places. Not to mention how different those two places look which just adds to the confusion. 

They seem to have very little sense of direction when it comes to UI design. 

Not to mention how different those two places look which just adds to the confusion. 

Sounds like a personal problem.

And they still have not managed to make any sense of where they want to go design wise.

8 with a Start Menu.

It is so redundant to have the same settings in two places.

Redundancy isn't bad.

Sounds like a personal problem.

8 with a Start Menu.

Redundancy isn't bad.

- Not a problem, just annoying.

- 8 was also a mess design wise.

- Redundancy can be bad. You don't have eight set of wheels on your car just because one might puncture. The definition of redundancy is exeeding what is necccecery. Having the same settings in two places is a waste. If there is any advantage at all of having two versions of the same settings I would love to hear it. That is if you have anything to contribute beyond being snarky. 

I've noticed after today's update, the search bar no longer overlays the start menu with the taskbar on auto-hide. :)

Still does on my side.

:( its taking such a loooong time (2days is what chrome is quoting)

how slow is your internet? :D  :D  took me 20 mins

CPU: Intel i7-4770K Overclocked to 4.5GHZ GPU: Asus GTX 970 CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Motherboard: Gigabyte D3H-Z97 RAM: Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB) Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 700D Storage: 2 X SanDisk 240GB SSDs in RAID 0, 128GB Crucial SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD, 1TB WD External HDD OS: Windows 10 Professional

- Not a problem, just annoying.

- 8 was also a mess design wise.

- Redundancy can be bad. You don't have eight set of wheels on your car just because one might puncture. The definition of redundancy is exeeding what is necccecery. Having the same settings in two places is a waste. If there is any advantage at all of having two versions of the same settings I would love to hear it. That is if you have anything to contribute beyond being snarky. 

We already know that MS plans on doing away with control panel, moving everything over to the settings app. Where have you been the last few months?

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

how slow is your internet? :D:D took me 20 mins

around 600KB/s to 1.2MB/s. In addition to the insane server load.

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

Yup. But the Control Panel will remain for compatibility purposes. For example, Java and Flash ads its own panel in there. Some program launches panel to jump the user to the correct location. While it seams that you can with the new PC Settings as well, older program would need to be updated. So instead of breaking them, they'll still work.

We already know that MS plans on doing away with control panel, moving everything over to the settings app. Where have you been the last few months?

I'm just waiting to see what the actual result of that will be before I get exited. 

around 600KB/s to 1.2MB/s. In addition to the insane server load.

Jeez, sorry for you bro :(

CPU: Intel i7-4770K Overclocked to 4.5GHZ GPU: Asus GTX 970 CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Motherboard: Gigabyte D3H-Z97 RAM: Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB) Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 700D Storage: 2 X SanDisk 240GB SSDs in RAID 0, 128GB Crucial SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD, 1TB WD External HDD OS: Windows 10 Professional

If there is any advantage at all of having two versions of the same settings I would love to hear it.

You're assume that if something isn't to your advantage it is immediately bad. If all the settings are mirrored between the touch-friendly and KB/M friendly interfaces, why should it even be a concern to you unless you are just complaining.

Any of you guys don't get the settings app icon on taskbar when running the app ? only after hovering on the icon slot in the taskbar the image appears ?  

Edited by Benielishackove

When i'm not playing PC games i'm playing with my PC parts  Fans,Pumps,Filters,  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

You're assume that if something isn't to your advantage it is immediately bad. If all the settings are mirrored between the touch-friendly and KB/M friendly interfaces, why should it even be a concern to you unless you are just complaining.

Which is why I asked for opinions from others on how that could be useful. Because I don't see why it could be a good idea. Personally I do not like it. It's an opinion, I have one, get used to it.

Which is why I asked for opinions from others on how that could be useful. Because I don't see why it could be a good idea. Personally I do not like it. It's an opinion, I have one, get used to it.

Might you have a reasoning for your opinion? The mere fact that you have an opinion is not a defense of your opinion.

I like the look of the new WiFi menu, but it still lacks a quick way to add an SSID manually.

Windows doesn't seem to launch a fake ip/url to get to the clickwall anymore. I'll have to use it more to see if it was just this once.

Might you have a reasoning for your opinion? The mere fact that you have an opinion is not a defense of your opinion.

I like the look of the new WiFi menu, but it still lacks a quick way to add an SSID manually.

Windows doesn't seem to launch a fake ip/url to get to the clickwall anymore. I'll have to use it more to see if it was just this once.

I have absolutely no need to "defend" my opinion to you. I have already stated why I do not like it. 

I know right? I remember testing the Windows 7 preview and everything felt pretty finished UI wise. With windows 8 preview things were caught between two very different versions of how things should look. I didn't mind because it was a preview. But we have been through two itereations of Windows 8 and in a few months Windows 10 will be released. And they still have not managed to make any sense of where they want to go design wise. It is so redundant to have the same settings in two places. Not to mention how different those two places look which just adds to the confusion. 

They seem to have very little sense of direction when it comes to UI design. 

It's because Microsoft is in the process of porting all of their traditional Win32 applications over to WinRT. Reason for this is that WinRT applications are easily cross platform compatible (a key feature of Windows 10). Another reason (and a good one) is WinRT applications are almost completely hardware accelerated (even the text). Which means these applications will be much faster, fluid and also consume far less battery life in the long run (not wasting CPU cycles). Battery life will be a selling point for Windows 10 due to it being an operating system advertised for all platforms. Personally I am loving some of the changes that they are doing such as this because Nolan should be releasing around the same time as Windows 10 and I would love to get my hands on a full version Windows 10 tablet running an AMD Nolan APU. Although I will still agree to the fact that Windows 10 is still too far unpolished to be suitable for an everyday host operating system. Hopefully the next build available will be a lot more polished as 10041 wasn't cutting it for me.

I can't run Java 64 bit for some reason anyone else is there a fix?

If you are using Chrome, it is broken at the moment. It works fine in IE and Firefox 64 bit. It is a know bug: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=425851&q=java%2064&colspec=ID%20Pri%20M%20Week%20ReleaseBlock%20Cr%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20OS%20Modified that seems to come up every now and then. 

You can try checking it out yourself using this page: https://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

Here is my results:

9i6Y8SU.png

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

If you are using Chrome, it is broken at the moment. It works fine in IE and Firefox 64 bit. It is a know bug: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=425851&q=java%2064&colspec=ID%20Pri%20M%20Week%20ReleaseBlock%20Cr%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20OS%20Modified that seems to come up every now and then.

You can try checking it out yourself using this page: https://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

Here is my results:

9i6Y8SU.png

<p>Wish I could have this already!! : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qTLRjX

So like Google chrome isn't downloading and installing it right or their tester for Java versions is broken?

Chrome isn't loading the NPAPI plugin for Java 64bit. I have a feeling (although Google hasn't admitted to it) that it relates to Chrome phasing out NPAPI in favor of PPAPI.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Don't suppose anyone's experienced a flickering screen on the logon screen for windows have they? it's completely inhibiting my ability to log in, as the screen goes black and then back to log on.

Fractal Design R2 Define, Core i5-4670k@3.40Ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Ram

Zotac GTX 780 OC, BenQ XL2410T 1920x1080 120hz, LG 29EA73-P 29 Ultra wide

Crucial M4 250gb SSD, 2x3tb Western Digital Caviar Black partitioned into 1.36tb each, Razer Black Widow 2013 edition, Razer Deathadder, Logitech G13. 

Don't suppose anyone's experienced a flickering screen on the logon screen for windows have they? it's completely inhibiting my ability to log in, as the screen goes black and then back to log on.

You mean you can't type blind?

You mean you can't type blind?

I can, but that isn't the problem. The screen will flicker constantly, and reset the log in process - it has nothing to do with my monitor, and everything to do with windows.

Fractal Design R2 Define, Core i5-4670k@3.40Ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Ram

Zotac GTX 780 OC, BenQ XL2410T 1920x1080 120hz, LG 29EA73-P 29 Ultra wide

Crucial M4 250gb SSD, 2x3tb Western Digital Caviar Black partitioned into 1.36tb each, Razer Black Widow 2013 edition, Razer Deathadder, Logitech G13.