Windows 9 Possibly free - i hope that this is a thing..

Alucard86ers

I really don't mind paying for software, it's a lot of hard work to do and for Windows it's usually worth it; as a person that loves and uses Linux I've got to say that you can easily see the difference between a pay OS and one that it isn't. If Windows 9 ends up costing money I still would buy it.

I get windows free though my college so don't care. Also anyone here needs a free copy of w7 got like 3 of them

Yes it is real life. I can believe you can't believe it.

HOW THE HELL DO YOU THINK THEY COVER THE COST OF DEVELOPMENT!?!

God, I know you're a smart guy, so why do you let stuff like this make you so stupid? It's just... baffling...

*sigh* OSX is "free" because Apple can afford to make it free due to hardware sales. They use the profits from Mac and iDevice sales to cover software development costs, which is part of why their margins are twice as high as 90% of the industry. It's common sense. Do you really think that making an OS is free?

Apple clearly has a business model that works for them, I don't know if they have 2 magic leprechauns locked up in a basement forced to write code for all eternity or if they include the OS as part of their environment, bundled together with software, making it a feature of their technology which gives them revenue after the final purchase the client does; which is totally ok if it's an investment covered by hardware earnings. With the money they put into software development (which is a lot) I wouldn't be surprised if they dump money made in other areas, which again, is perfectly fine considering they need the software to sell the products.

HOW THE HELL DO YOU THINK THEY COVER THE COST OF DEVELOPMENT!?!

God, I know you're a smart guy, so why do you let stuff like this make you so stupid? It's just... baffling...

*sigh* OSX is "free" because Apple can afford to make it free due to hardware sales. They use the profits from Mac and iDevice sales to cover software development costs, which is part of why their margins are twice as high as 90% of the industry. It's common sense. Do you really think that making an OS is free?

Yeah I really don't know how you can argue this.

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/imac

That is 2 grand for a 400 dollar monitor a stock I5, a mobile GPU, a 1TB HD and 8 gigs of ram. Let's config a Imac shall we?

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/imac?product=ME089LL/A&step=config#

I want 8 more gigs of ram. That will be 200 dollars. Not a mark up at all.

Let's rock a 3tb drive. That will be 150 dollars more, when the actual price difference is prob 20-30 bucks.

How about a "fusion drive"? That is just a small SSD caching the regular HD. 200 bucks for that. Think it is a 64 gig.

Apple is a hardware company. They make money off of hardware. They make a metric @$%^ ton of money off hardware. I am not saying not to buy an Apple, or that they are crappily made (though I think the Mac Pro temps suck and I would never buy one), but to compare Apple to MS as far as where they make profits is silly. 

And that 2000 dollar basic model still doesn't get you Imovie, Iphoto, Garageband. You have to buy that from the App store. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

I don't think it will happen. Though, if it does, that would be fantastic. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

What are you talking about? I already pre-ordered my Internet Explorer 14!!!

Why!? Everyone knows that IE 14 comes free when you get both the Windows Defender and Task Manager DLCs...

Apple clearly has a business model that works for them, I don't know if they have 2 magic leprechauns locked up in a basement forced to write code for all eternity or if they include the OS as part of their environment, bundled together with software, making it a feature of their technology which gives them revenue after the final purchase the client does; which is totally ok if it's an investment covered by hardware earnings. With the money they put into software development (which is a lot) I wouldn't be surprised if they dump money made in other areas, which again, is perfectly fine considering they need the software to sell the products.

I'm not saying that it's a bad thing. What I'm saying is that saying that Windows should be free because OS X is free is dumb. If I were arguing that Macs should cost have their prices cut by 25%, I'd be torn to pieces by Builder.

While a free Windows would be nice, I would not mind paying something for it. When Windows 8 came out they had that small launch period where they sold it dirt cheap (30 euros or something back then) and I thought that made sense. Microsoft doesn't need to make Windows 9 free, but they should make it cheaper throughout its whole shelf life.

I'm not saying that it's a bad thing. What I'm saying is that saying that Windows should be free because OS X is free is dumb. If I were arguing that Macs should cost have their prices cut by 25%, I'd be torn to pieces by Builder.

But nobody said it needs to be free, the commends you quoted were just comparing a different OS. Builder is not demanding Windows should be free.

Apple knows there are a lot of people buying OS X for hardware that is not sold by them, but they really don't care as they use it to lure users towards their products and have publicity and attention to their software. Being able to buy OS X for cheap is nothing but one of their investments.

Back to Windows, we shouldn't care about the business model Windows 9 gets as long as it doesn't affect the user experience. If they want to sell it, it's ok (as long as they don't end up putting a huge DRM that cripples the user), and if they want to make it free it's cool too (as long as they don't force us into buying their software services  to get a fully functioning OS).

Also anyone here needs a free copy of w7 got like 3 of them

Such action goes against forum CoC, and goes against the contractual agreement when you first joined MSDNAA/DreamSpark Premium, and against the license agreement when you acquire the product key. Can you ask for more illegal activity than this?

Such action goes against forum CoC, and goes against the contractual agreement when you first joined MSDNAA/DreamSpark Premium, and against the license agreement when you acquire the product key. Can you ask for more illegal activity than this?

How about a actually crime like rape or murder also breaking a terms of use doesn't not mean swat is waiting outside my house to get me. But i see your point about this forum so im keeping my copies then.

For Windows 8 users, it might make sense.  But I'm not sure how good of a source Softpedia is?

AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5ghz (1.332v) | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Asus M5A97 R2.0 | Kingston HyperX 16GB @ 1600mhz | MSI Radeon R9 290 Twin Frozr

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w PSU | 256GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 | Zalman Z11 Plus

I personally don't want it to be free, unless it's to upgrade from 7 and 8/8.1.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

They didn't even offer freebies after the Vista disaster. I'm sceptical. 

The only people that say Vista was bad are poor people that put it on shitty hardware.

The only people that say Vista was bad are poor people that put it on shitty hardware.

Shitty by today's standard, you mean?  The average computer back when Vista was launched was woefully inadequate.

AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5ghz (1.332v) | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Asus M5A97 R2.0 | Kingston HyperX 16GB @ 1600mhz | MSI Radeon R9 290 Twin Frozr

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w PSU | 256GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 | Zalman Z11 Plus

Wouldn't change a thing, really. Might make MS even more profit, or at least increase the market share.

Most people I know that have Windows installed pirated it, so technically it was free for them (I have w8.1 pro from Dreamspark, so it was free for me, too).

I know nobody who actually went and bought an actual copy of Windows since XP. Either piracy or use the already installed OS that comes with pre-builts (which has the price included and non-removable).

As for ads, unlikely. I won't say impossible, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Shitty by today's standard, you mean?  The average computer back when Vista was launched was woefully inadequate.

Incorrect. Vista was running above and beyond, Win7 style, on my laptop and desktop, and many others on forums in their gaming PC.

Wouldn't change a thing, really. Might make MS even more profit, or at least increase the market share.

Most people I know that have Windows installed pirated it, so technically it was free for them (I have w8.1 pro from Dreamspark, so it was free for me, too).

I know nobody who actually went and bought an actual copy of Windows since XP. Either piracy or use the already installed OS that comes with pre-builts (which has the price included and non-removable).

As for ads, unlikely. I won't say impossible, but I wouldn't bet on it.

It would still be pirated, even if it was free.

World of Goo game (2008), an actual really good game, won numerous awars, was for a period "pay what you want, starting at a penny", and it was the most pirated game during that time.

The game on PC was also DRM free. The independent studio was pushing anti-DRM, and how piracy doesn't hurt the industry.

The studio didn't make any other game since. I guess it didn't turn up well for them. The latest work is back in 2011 with Android version.

If it's "free" it will probably be "ad supported". Nothing is really "free". 

i would rather pay than have ads but i do hope its cheap 

im just looking forward to steam operating system :) no matter how long i will have to wait

When I read the title I was like :o MIND=BLOWN

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Actually most people I know keep Macs for a very long time. Also you don't have to buy a Mac to get a copy of OS X because it's actually free. There's no DRM and no licensing fee.

It's still not "free" in the sense that Apple is subsidizing the cost of the OS via mostly hardware sales, plus potentially from their Mobile division as well.

And Linux is "free" for numerous reasons, including:

1. Subsidized by Support Contracts. Actual support in Linux costs money. Sure you can get free forum support, but that's not exactly the best - especially for a company where downtime is lost money. Any major companies that use Linux - especially for web servers or other infrastructure - you can guarantee they pay for a support contract from Canonical, RedHat, etc.

2. Industry support/donations - Many super large companies are part of the Linux Foundation, with collectively help fund development.

3. User donations, and/or % of sales from things like app purchases.

There are likely other contributions as well.

So it's free to the end user, but in the case of Apple, that end user is more than likely paying for it in some other way.

Furthermore, just because there is no "licensing fee" does not mean that you can legally download OS X. This came up in another thread at some point. The Terms and Conditions/EULA for OS X explicitly prohibits just downloading the OS. I believe it says something along the lines that you must own pre-existing supported apple hardware before you're legally allowed to download OS X.

Apple turns a blind eye to this however, so it is DE FACTO free. Even though their employees will load it into a USB stick for you at the Apple Store, it's still a technicality.

Perhaps Apple should revise their EULA to reflect their current views on just giving OS X away though?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)