Windows 9 Possibly free - i hope that this is a thing..

Alucard86ers

yeah i know and especially from where this was reported from does not give much hope 

They didn't even offer freebies after the Vista disaster. I'm sceptical. 

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

i can see why they would do that, didn't apple give away yosemite aswell?

I would happily pay money for ad free Windows 9 unless there's an ad blocker made for it in which case I wouldn't.

tl;dr Win9 needs extra stuff to justify paying for a premium version to a free version.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

I'd go get it (and even pay for it) if it's anywhere as comfortable to use as Windows 7...

Considering it's piss easy to remove ads from Skype just by editing a simple txt document, if there were ever a "free" Win9 powered by ads, that would be a breeze to get around.

free for the stock, but pay for the feature like DirectX, windows media player, explorer etc.  :D

CPU:  i5 4690 Motherboard: AsRock H81M-VG4 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz Graphics Card: Sapphire HD7870 OC Intel HD4600  MSI R9 270X HAWX Storage: 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm, 120GB WDC Scorpio 5400 rpm PSU: Corsair VS550 Chassis: Custom Open Air Case OS: Windows 8.1 X64 Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Optical Mousepad: Roccat Taito Keyboard: Armageddon Kalashnikov AK-770i

If it's "free" it will probably be "ad supported". Nothing is really "free". 

Either that or it will be locked to MS office software and if possible MS cloud services.

I don't hold hope that it will be free, that would be against MS's current MO, however they (like some other companies) on occasion shock us all with free cookie (of course so long as we promise to buy only their brand cakes).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

free for the stock, but pay for the feature like DirectX, windows media player, explorer etc.  :D

Windows now with DLC!!!

Oh gott please, no....

Windows now with DLC!!!

Oh gott please, no....

yeah, sort of.. lol  :lol:

CPU:  i5 4690 Motherboard: AsRock H81M-VG4 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz Graphics Card: Sapphire HD7870 OC Intel HD4600  MSI R9 270X HAWX Storage: 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm, 120GB WDC Scorpio 5400 rpm PSU: Corsair VS550 Chassis: Custom Open Air Case OS: Windows 8.1 X64 Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Optical Mousepad: Roccat Taito Keyboard: Armageddon Kalashnikov AK-770i

If this takes a step back from win8 on tgr desktop ill be mad. Its perfect the way it is right now. Free wouldn't be likely considering Microsoft spent a lot of money on making Windows 8 uncrackable.

Either that or it will be locked to MS office software and if possible MS cloud services.

I don't hold hope that it will be free, that would be against MS's current MO, however they (like some other companies) on occasion shock us all with free cookie (of course so long as we promise to buy only their brand cakes).

That's even worse!

That's even worse!

I think I would pay for it before I suffered a version like that.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Ubuntu, and many others, is free

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I'd go get it (and even pay for it) if it's anywhere as comfortable to use as Windows 7...

I'm sure that it will be if you don't dismiss it the second you see it.

I'm sure that it will be if you don't dismiss it the second you see it.

I got to work with both 8 and 8.1... They both completely ruined my workflow so I switched back to 7...

The Windows 7 UX is the best at the moment imo...

This, if there is a free version which is ad supported I'm out, Id rather just buy the OS and not have ads.

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

I got to work with both 8 and 8.1... They both completely ruined my workflow so I switched back to 7...

The Windows 7 UX is the best at the moment imo...

I'm genuinely curious about how, unless your work is so time-critical that every second counts. I don't get it at all.

I'm genuinely curious about how, unless your work is so time-critical that every second counts. I don't get it at all.

It's not that time-critical... I just multitask way too heavily to sacrifice some screen space (i.e. the start screen)...

It's not that time-critical... I just multitask way too heavily to sacrifice some screen space (i.e. the start screen)...

Ah. If that's all, then "9" should be fine for you I'd imagine.

Ah. If that's all, then "9" should be fine for you I'd imagine.

Hopefully...

Also, there's the legacy software compatibility that I forgot to mention... I'm playing a bunch of old-ish games regularly...