Windows 9 Possibly free - i hope that this is a thing..

Alucard86ers

Windows 9 will only be free to users who have a legitimate copy of windows 8/8.1. As far as I know, that's what the CEO of Undonesian branch of Microsoft has confirmed.

I think you guys don't know how things works.

Companies will never give out their source code. If you expect that, than you live in a dream world, they'll all be exceptions, not following GPL.

That is one of the many reasons, you currently have walls that prevents Linux from ever become popular. Lack of software and drivers. But, we are now assuming that all these walls are broken, and that Windows no longer exists, and that it in a Linux based world, where it has a 90%+ market share.

You have walls, then you never going to pass the current market share, and Windows will still be the choice to go. No mater how much you guys want too, and how others says they want all their games on Linux, it won't happen. Studios will never give out their source code, plain and simple, than you have the rest of the industry. Private companies, such as Adobe, or MSI/ASUS/EVGA with their overclocking software, and so on and so forth.

Oh, I don't expect them to. The Linux community might, but I don't, because they're exceptions, and the reason they're exceptions is that  out of the millions of available packages for Linux, they're the minority, and there are plenty of open-source equivalents for each and every one of those programs. I don't dictate whether big manufacturers decide to support the open-source community fully, that's not my problem. Doesn't change the fact that Linux is still more inherently secure and difficult to get malware on because of the high level of standard Linux holds when it comes to security. 

Besides, this isn't about companies revealing their source code, this topic started with "ease of getting malware on Linux" and you're dead wrong on that count. Companies would be brain-dead if they were to place malware in their software if they're relying on software sales (and believe me, someone will find the malware even if it's closed source). You don't understand how Linux works, even if you understand how companies work. If you say that Linux is susceptible to the same flaws as Windows due to idiotic users, you have absolutely no idea how Linux works. You're only embarrassing yourself. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2