Belgians biggest ISP invests 500 million to go gigabit

Telenet, Belgians biggest ISP announced at a press conference that it will invest 500 million over the course of 5 years to update its current infrastructure. They will also create 250new high-tech jobs in the process, the CEO of Telenet stated that the arrival of netflix and 4K were one of thte reasons that they needed to update the infrastructure. The couldn't give any details on the prize just yet. If they pull this of, we will have one of the best networks in Europe. the speeds go from minimum 160megabit to 1gigabit/sec.

Great job Telenet! An ISP that realizes that infrastructure is freaking important to keep up with technology.

Link for those of you that speak dutch:

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/942/Economie/article/detail/2018839/2014/08/29/Telenet-investeert-500-miljoen-en-creeert-250-nieuwe-banen.dhtml

Be right back, moving to Belgium... 

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

Be right back, moving to Belgium... 

Need someone to share the rent?

Hey TWC and Comcast, see this? This is how a real business works, invest the money, and then sit back and watch people buy it and love it, instead of your standard operation procedure

in-response-to-hearing-about-comcast-pla

Why does America have to suck at everything?

Not everything, it's just certain people constantly fucking with the economy causing instability, leading companies to act like the above picture.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I hope the speed increases with our our cost, over the course of 6 years out internet speeds have more than doubled on telenet to 160 mbps withouth our contract price going up. I'm however hoping their upload speeds get up to par with their downloads, my upload is under 20 mbps I think.

Also this upgrade won't include FTTH I derived this from a statement on their site saying they won't break open any streets/sidewalks or have to get into your home/business, but their will be internet blackouts if they are doing you're part however they will warn you via email/sms/letter 8 weeks beforehand. the upgrade will include the 150000 amplifiers in the network and 1,8 million other components like taps and splitters.

(dutch source)

on a side-note: the telenet CEO once said in a flemish newspaper that they won't be throttling netflix/youtube and will try to keep net neutrality, they said this around the time they partly acquirred 2 television stations and a televion studio.

(source will be added if I find it)

telenet  is only in the dutch area and not french speaking area :(

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

it makes me feel sorry for the Americans, i think the US government should force cable company's to share there infrastructure and the costs of maintaining it obviously. Sort of the way line rental in the uk works, BT is forced to let others use its infra structure at a 0% profit cost

telenet  is only in the dutch area and not french speaking area :(

I know, however telenet has been teaming up with voo an internet provider in the french speaking area over the last couple of months for thing like their hotspots/homespots.

I think it wouldn't be so bad if telenet bought them. 

Go Belgium!

U.S., take note. We are falling behind.

Side note, but has anyone noticed the change in language for U.S. domestic policies?

It used to be "Head Start" for education. Now it's "No Child Left Behind".

I don't like that transition.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Well, in lithuania where there's fiber minimum is already about 100mbit, so not much to increase for the 4K streaming. Netflix won't come to lithuania though, like ever.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

come on bt plz!

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

I like their waffles.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Well, in lithuania where there's fiber minimum is already about 100mbit, so not much to increase for the 4K streaming. Netflix won't come to lithuania though, like ever.

netflix is coming here pretty soon.

@PieterDeWolf

so how is it in belgium might look at moving there after i graduate

Its all about those volumetric clouds

it makes me feel sorry for the Americans, i think the US government should force cable company's to share there infrastructure and the costs of maintaining it obviously. Sort of the way line rental in the uk works, BT is forced to let others use its infra structure at a 0% profit cost

If the ISP's hadn't bought some of congress and the head of the FCC, perhaps we could.

Today in a dutch newspaper telenet confirmed it will be FTTN as seen in this infograph.

Yw6KHWj.jpg

A bit further in the article they mention google rolling out fiber in cities but state they are the first to roll out fiber on this scale (around 6 million people). telenet's biggest competitor is only starting to roll out 70 mbps internet over the telephone lines however since our cable has been opened up belgacom can use telenet's infrastructure, telenet is however is trying to fight this in court.

NWO .. everyone gets awesome internet for free.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

• 9 months later...

Lol, I didn't know Telenet could do anything good except giving us 240 mbps down network links.

I was going to put my image signature here, but the forum said I couldn't.

Lol, I didn't know Telenet could do anything good except giving us 240 mbps down network links.

That's over 120x my Internet speed. :(

- snip-

I hope they implement it like Reggefiber did here in Holland. Its an open network, so I can choose between 10 providers or so for a Fiber-connection. 

'Make sure to wear a wool sweater and to stand on a carpet while working on PC's' -Linus 2015

I hope the speed increases with our our cost, over the course of 6 years out internet speeds have more than doubled on telenet to 160 mbps withouth our contract price going up. I'm however hoping their upload speeds get up to par with their downloads, my upload is under 20 mbps I think.

Also this upgrade won't include FTTH I derived this from a statement on their site saying they won't break open any streets/sidewalks or have to get into your home/business, but their will be internet blackouts if they are doing you're part however they will warn you via email/sms/letter 8 weeks beforehand. the upgrade will include the 150000 amplifiers in the network and 1,8 million other components like taps and splitters.

(dutch source)

on a side-note: the telenet CEO once said in a flemish newspaper that they won't be throttling netflix/youtube and will try to keep net neutrality, they said this around the time they partly acquirred 2 television stations and a televion studio.

(source will be added if I find it)

Dude. I get 15 down and 3 up. Don't gimme your 20 up, its faster than my download.