Belgians biggest ISP invests 500 million to go gigabit

They did something similar here in Seattle and the company they hired took the money and ran.

HTID

oh Belgium, U so cute  :P

f1s7max.pngwww.netindex.com

4414355487.png

Oh Romania you are so cute

4414618825.png

Whoooo go go Belgium! I'll be able to act all high and mighty on my horse with my download/upload speed in 5 years :D

I do wonder what the monthly fee will be considering we already pay a lot compared to other countries for internet.

Did not see how old the original topic was sorry.

Edited by Nomy

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

we have those too, for 14$/month VAT included  :lol:

Lituania is 6th global  ^_^

you dont have the one i have ,the thing is im getting 10gb (unlimited, as much as the router gives) but my lan card only accepts 1gb

you dont have the one i have the thing is im getting 10gb (unlimited, as much as the router gives) but my lan card only accepts 1gb

10gb is it business?! i hadn't heard of that much bandwidth for home use  :blink:

my ISP offers those 10gbps speeds but only for business, MPLS layer 2 and 3

---

my original contract was for 100mbps, they upped it at the end of last year to 200 and just recently to 300mbps at no extra cost

10gb is it business?! i hadn't heard of that much bandwidth for home use  :blink:

my ISP offers those 10gbps speeds but only for business, MPLS layer 2 and 3

---

my original contract was for 100mbps, they upped it at the end of last year to 200 and just recently to 300mbps at no extra cost

its not buissness per say :D well kinda my mom works for the company and i get that for free. :D

its not buissness per say :D well kinda my mom works for the company and i get that for free. :D

;)

figured as much

even with my 300mbps, I don't actually have need for that much bandwidth

They did something similar here in Seattle and the company they hired took the money and ran.

knowing Telenet, they are not doing this with government money. Whenever they notice that there is an issue, they invest their own money into improving the service.

Several years ago they noticed that mobile data use was increasing exponentially, so they did massive upgrades to their mobile network to make sure it is able to deal with that increase for years to come. Now they're noticing a similar thing due to the increasing popularity of Netflix and their own on-demand service, so they're upgrading the entire internet network.

Funny detail, Telenet's CEO (John Porter) is an American.

EDIT : and in case you're wondering about prices :

Basic internet : 26.99 EUR/month ($33.33 US), 30Mbps down and 3 up, 100GB data cap

Fiber 100 : 49.39 EUR/month ($54.90 US), 100Mbps down and 6 up, 150GB data cap

Fiber 200 : 70.79 EUR/month ($78.68 US), 200Mbps down and 12 up, NO data cap

I'm on a 10 year old plan that they don't sell anymore. I pay 46 EUR/month for 30Mbps down and 5 up (getting 28.74 and 4.39 actually) and back then a 60GB data cap. With every upgrade to the network they increased the data cap as compensation for the fact that my connection speed stayed the same (limitation on the modem's side) and a few years ago they got rid of my data cap entirely.

Why does America have to suck at everything?

I guarantee that nearly every US ISP spending more than that on repairs  and upgrades over a 5 year period. One issue Belgium is the size of Massachusetts +/- the size of Delaware. I can tell you the fact that we have gigabit speeds in more cities than there are EU member states can't mean we are doing that terribly. Looking at you Australia. But we are in the same boat. The real compassion should be between other EU member states or maybe even two of the top 6 us cities. 

There are two things that pop into my mind, being a Telenet customer.

Number one being that, altough Telenet has nice downlink, they always give you super crappy uplink. The current max uplink you can get is 12 megabit.

Number two is that you said Belgians in the title, it is supposed to be Belgium's. :P

Afin, zulank as ze der gien 100 euros per mont goan ver vroagen, est ver mij allemoal goe ze!

I guarantee that nearly every US ISP spending more than that on repairs  and upgrades over a 5 year period. One issue Belgium is the size of Massachusetts +/- the size of Delaware. I can tell you the fact that we have gigabit speeds in more cities than there are EU member states can't mean we are doing that terribly. Looking at you Australia. But we are in the same boat. The real compassion should be between other EU member states or maybe even two of the top 6 us cities. 

Most of the big ISP companies have profit margins near 97%, they aren't spending anywhere NEAR that much on repairs and upgrades.

Although they might spend that much on lobbying to get laws passed allowing them to do anti-consumer things and essentially break the law.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I dont understand either how Americans pay more for mobile coverage and internet than for example Denmark, we get higher pay and we pay less, how does that make sense?

I get 1-5GB data a month, 6 hours call, free texting for 13$/mo. You can get 50/50 connections for what.. 50$/mo.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2

Yes, Australia... Be just fine 50mbit/s two way for home use. Because I'm not sure It have point to have it any faster as long as uploads are similar speed so cloud data works. Then again business wise in Australia we are better off than us as their is competition, not cable monopolies...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

I hope the other big ISP in belgium, proximus, decides to do something to stay competitive with them.

I have atm 30/5 for $40-ish a month. And "unlimited" (650GB) sadly next month the limit goes down all the way to 300GB soo.

If they want to stay competitive, they will have to do something :D

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I hope the other big ISP in belgium, proximus, decides to do something to stay competitive with them.

I have atm 30/5 for $40-ish a month. And "unlimited" (650GB) sadly next month the limit goes down all the way to 300GB soo.

If they want to stay competitive, they will have to do something :D

You can still "buy" the free volumepacks on the site once you go over your volume (as long as you got the unlimited option on the cheaper packs, or have the higher ones), and there isn't a limit as to how many you can buy really, (highest amount of volumepacks ive "bought" in a month is 4tb,but you can go higher, and it transfers over to next month if you dont use it)

As for the speed ,currently they have been busy with bumping the speeds of people on longer lines (400m+) so that they can get 30/6-50/10 , but the speed for the rest has stayed on 70/10 for quite awhile now, not even a test profile anywhere atm ,which is odd because they can easily push 100/x atm (on the shorter lines).

You can still "buy" the free volumepacks on the site once you go over your volume (as long as you got the unlimited option on the cheaper packs, or have the higher ones), and there isn't a limit as to how many you can buy really, (highest amount of volumepacks ive "bought" in a month is 4tb,but you can go higher, and it transfers over to next month if you dont use it)

As for the speed ,currently they have been busy with bumping the speeds of people on longer lines (400m+) so that they can get 30/6-50/10 , but the speed for the rest has stayed on 70/10 for quite awhile now, not even a test profile anywhere atm ,which is odd because they can easily push 100/x atm (on the shorter lines).

I have the unlmited option activated, and i can't get more for free, not sure how you managed to do that?

And i know i'm only 100-150m away from the main thing, they told me that when they installed it.

Speed depends where you live, my friend for example has 65/whatever with the same subscription.

Yes i have a wired connection

On their website it says i should get 67-ish and 12, but that's far from reality.

I have comfort + unlimited option in a pack with mobile telephone and tv btw...

4415882902.png

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

In a galaxy far, far away...

4415883500.png

Yeah, france, that's lightyears away! xD Well some people of france act like they are from a galaxy far far away :D

I have the unlmited option activated, and i can't get more for free, not sure how you managed to do that?

And i know i'm only 100-150m away from the main thing, they told me that when they installed it.

Speed depends where you live, my friend for example has 65/whatever with the same subscription.

Yes i have a wired connection

On their website it says i should get 67-ish and 12, but that's far from reality.

I have comfort + unlimited option in a pack with mobile telephone and tv btw...

4415882902.png

E-services> My products > your internet> then at services select the tab "available" ,there you see unlimited volume pack 20gb ,which is free.

I can't tell you why your getting that low with a line thats under 200m,(different factors could be the cause ,overcapacity of your rop,a proximus bug where the ppoe session gets capped at 30,faulty cabling inside,etc,and having a vectoring enabled router(bbox3/fritzbox) gets a higher training margin then a bbox2).

The website line test has been showing wrong numbers ever since they started bumping up the speeds of the longer lines.

Lol @ people wanting to live in Belgium for the internet.

Telenet is pretty evil, just like the rest of the ISP's in the world. Yes, they do one good thing, but other ISPs are pretty much going to have to follow anyway. 

They've done their fair share of bullshit. They pretty much have a monopoly on cable, too, so they can charge whatever they want. At least they have to add the price of the cable rent into the total now, which they didn't have to do until the government made them, leading to situations where the actual price was like €20 higher per month than advertised.

Their customer service consists of people claiming the problem isn't their fault, which probably sounds familiar, and they don't bother notifying you that a better deal is available. 

They're pretty much your standard ISP.

And really, the rest of Belgium isn't that much better. Don't come here, unless you're on vacation.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

Although I applaud said company for investing in infrastructure. It is MUCH more difficult for the US to do the same. Belgium is only a little bit bigger than the state of Hawaii. So imagine the costs of upgrading the entire continental US. Now I'm not defending American ISPs (let's be honest, they're rolling in profits) but do keep in mind the scale of things.

E-services> My products > your internet> then at services select the tab "available" ,there you see unlimited volume pack 20gb ,which is free.

I can't tell you why your getting that low with a line thats under 200m,(different factors could be the cause ,overcapacity of your rop,a proximus bug where the ppoe session gets capped at 30,faulty cabling inside,etc,and having a vectoring enabled router(bbox3/fritzbox) gets a higher training margin then a bbox2).

The website line test has been showing wrong numbers ever since they started bumping up the speeds of the longer lines.

Thanks for the tip

ATM i have still a crappy bbox2 from them, hate it. It dies almost once a week and it always dies after a couple of hours of downloading :D

Maybe give them a call and ask for a bbox3 can solve the crap. I don't know anymore :(