Guns in the USA.

Keen_Interest

I live in the UK, and I really don't understand why people would still defend the sale and legal ownership of any type of gun (without specific purpose e.g. hunting) after so many needless killings. However, I really am interested to hear peoples opinions' on this. 

Remember guys, EVERYONE is entitle to an opinion, you don't have to agree, you DO have to respect it though. 

Cheers!

The UK has a worse violent crime rate then the US.So taking guns away didn't help there..Did you not see the guy running around with a hatchet killing a guy in London for 20 min before help showed up..And everyone just watched..Look at Chicago where they banned guns and crime skyrocketed..But yet states where you can legally carry a gun on your hip has the lowest crimes of any other states..

No matter what criminals will get guns but why take them away from law abiding citizens..

I'm from germany, no guns here. I don't think the availability of guns got anything todo with crime. In canada you can also get guns just as easy as in america (tho, they recently made the rules a little stricter as far as i know) and there is much much less crime then in the USA...

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

Maybe knives should be banned in the U.K. since they are used to kill people too. /sarcam

Why should I be punished for someone else's actions? Why should my RIGHT to protect myself and own guns be taken away because someone was playing around or someone has mental issues or just a psychopath? 

Chicago where they banned guns and crime skyrocketed..

Yeah that always seems to happen, shortly after gun bans start...

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

hmm in Trinidad guns are illegal but crime rates are high as ever 

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

Sweden.... Everyone is trained with guns(for the most part) It has one of the lowest crime rates... US should adopt this idea. I am progun I go trap shooting twice a week. 

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i7 4770K / CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120Gig and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb / Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming-7 / GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX / Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850watt / Case: Corsair 750D 680 Coaster

Sweden.... Everyone is trained with guns(for the most part) It has one of the lowest crime rates... US should adopt this idea. I am progun I go trap shooting twice a week. 

I agree..

you are less likely to be attacked by a criminal who knows that you are trained and armed to shoot..

The UK has a worse violent crime rate then the US.So taking guns away didn't help there..Did you not see the guy running around with a hatchet killing a guy in London for 20 min before help showed up..And everyone just watched..Look at Chicago where they banned guns and crime skyrocketed..But yet states where you can legally carry a gun on your hip has the lowest crimes of any other states..

No matter what criminals will get guns but why take them away from law abiding citizens..

I don't know if your statements are true, but on wikiAnswers, it says there were 31,940 deaths in America due to guns (Suicide/Homicide/Inconclusive) in 2011. Whereas citizensreportuk.org state there were only 648 murders of ANY type in Britain in 2011. Its not okay to have violent crime, but I'd rather the mad-man have a hatchet, and have to kill one at a time, than a machine gun and kill a few people in 10 seconds.

Maybe knives should be banned in the U.K. since they are used to kill people too. /sarcam

Why should I be punished for someone else's actions? Why should my RIGHT to protect myself and own guns be taken away because someone was playing around or someone has mental issues or just a psychopath? 

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to make it an attack on you, I am sincerely sorry if you feel that way. However nowhere in your constitution does it say you have a RIGHT to own a GUN. Arms could be interpreted to mean sword/knife/any weapon. Which means although it COULD mean gun, it doesn't specifically state gun..

In Denmark people have already rtyed being arrested for carrying knives. probably illegal in uk to.

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.

I don't know if your statements are true, but on wikiAnswers, it says there were 31,940 deaths in America due to guns (Suicide/Homicide/Inconclusive) in 2011. Whereas citizensreportuk.org state there were only 648 murders of ANY type in Britain in 2011. Its not okay to have violent crime, but I'd rather the mad-man have a hatchet, and have to kill one at a time, than a machine gun and kill a few people in 10 seconds.

Your argument sounds understandable but lacks meat. In the London incident the attackers had also pistols on them (atleast one did as far as i know) and they still did use the hatchet. Not everybody would just get a machinegun because you can buy it in a shop. Also crimes do happen with guns, even if they are outlawed.

For crimerates don't forget the population count, not that it makes any difference with your numbers.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to make it an attack on you, I am sincerely sorry if you feel that way. However nowhere in your constitution does it say you have a RIGHT to own a GUN. Arms could be interpreted to mean sword/knife/any weapon. Which means although it COULD mean gun, it doesn't specifically state gun..

No I didn't take it personal :) Yes, a right to bear arms, I consider that any type of weapon, including guns.

In Denmark people have already tried being arrested for carrying knives. probably illegal in uk to.

The way I see it, no matter what you do, if a person wants to hurt another person they WILL find a way to do it, no matter what. If you ban guns then they will use knives, if you ban knives they will use blunt weapons, if you ban blunt weapons there will be bombs, if you ban the selling of certain items they will use cars to run over people, if you ban cars...you see where this is going, it will never end.

In Denmark people have already rtyed being arrested for carrying knives. probably illegal in uk to.

Any type of flick-knife, any knife which locks out, and any knife over 3 inches is illegal to carry on you in public. (Obvious there are exceptions for farmers and the like.) But if there's no good reason for you having it, you can be arrested for possession of an offensive weapon in the UK.

Since when are knives weapons in general? Last time i checked they where tools :D

Btw Guns/Rifles where available and almost everyone had one when the US constitution was written, so they are probably included in that.

Guns don't harm people. People harm people. There are more guns in Canada than in the US or probably the same amount(?) (I saw that on a Michael Moore documentary) but there are no killings at all.. How do you explain that?

"Save the cheerleader, save the world- Hiro Nakamura

The hero LinusTechTips forum deserves, but not the one it needs.

Your argument sounds understandable but lacks meat. In the London incident the attackers had also pistols on them (atleast one did as far as i know) and they still did use the hatchet. Not everybody would just get a machinegun because you can buy it in a shop. Also crimes do happen with guns, even if they are outlawed.

For crimerates don't forget the population count, not that it makes any difference with your numbers.

I agree, levels of population do make a difference, but all the same, would the Sandy shooting have happened if the person couldn't have had easy access to an assault riffle? I'm not saying take away gun ranges, enjoy them if you like, but guns in homes? With teenagers? Teenagers are a little unstable at the best of times... :P :P

Guns don't harm people. People harm people. There are more guns in Canada than in the US or probably the same amount(?) (I saw that on a Michael Moore documentary) but there are no killings at all.. How do you explain that?

I don't try to explain that (although I'd guess at upbringing and culture differences) however, you can't do a mass shooting without a gun, can you?

Since when are knives weapons in general? Last time i checked they where tools :D

A gun is a tool used to kill. It states 'a right to bare arms' you can kill with a knife, I'd say that would qualify it as arms.