Guns in the USA.

Keen_Interest

Well, i probably sound a bit harsh sometimes. ^_^

English isnt my first language. My use of words, grammar and phrasing is mostly coined/shaped by the media i watch/listen to, books i read and the internet.

Well your english is a lot better than my non-existent German. Having said that, I struggle enough with english...

I know first hand that my country is messed up right now . it's easy for a 19 year old from the UK to say how easy it would be to fix it when you have no idea what goes on here . I agree there should be less gun related deaths.And actually the us is number 28 in gun related deaths..

http://m.guardiannews.com/news/datablog/2012/jul/22/gun-homicides-ownership-world-list

Mate, I never said it would be easy.. But something needs to be done. 

Well your english is a lot better than my non-existent German. Having said that, I struggle enough with english...

While talking about someone from the UK speaking German. :P  It would be interesting to find out if modern gun laws would have influenced the rise of the nazis in germany and maybe the outcome of world war II. But don't even know about gun regulations back then...

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

It really irritates me that the gun industry uses violent media as a scapegoat for these tragic events that happen in America. I really hope that when it comes to choosing between guns and violent media the US government vote in favour of media. Because there is no evidence that violent media contributes to gun crime or even violent crime. Even though I am British US policy concerns me because of the adverse affects it could have on media such as video games on a global scale.

By the way, go easy Grammar Nazis I'm dyslexic;'#';[p#'; (I'm pretty sure a full stop should go there somewhere :D)
My Deviant Art: http://neutronicsoup.deviantart.com/
Linus quote of the day "Slick you're fired"

This is gonna get locked quickly.

Anyway, here's my opinion:

Trying to restrict ownership of rifles is pretty silly since the vast majority of gun crime is done with hand guns.

It's better for innocent people to be able to defend themselves with guns than to try to get all guns off the street, since that really won't work.

Self defense should be a right.

I'm not against intelligent forms of restriction, but most of the ways they have tried to pass it were just idiotic. The 2013 assault weapons ban for example didn't even ban the Ruger mini-14; whether you are pro or anti gun, you should realize that the people that drafted that bill have no idea what they are doing, and that bill wasn't  actually going to do anything.

Also, the NRA is pretty insane.

Since when are knives weapons in general? Last time i checked they where tools  :D

Take that mentality in Canada and you'll have a nice prison sentence on your hands

Because there is no evidence that violent media contributes to gun crime or even violent crime

Well, you also have to take into account that a requirement of being a politician is a total lack of common sense and dignity. You won't succeed if you have those.

While talking about someone from the UK speaking German. :P  It would be interesting to find out if modern gun laws would have influenced the rise of the nazis in germany and maybe the outcome of world war II. But don't even know about gun regulations back then...

Lol, yeah. I often wonder if the world would be a nicer place as a whole if other countries were as productive and well run as Germany... :P 

Lol, yeah. I often wonder if the world would be a nicer place as a whole if other countries were as productive and well run as Germany... :P

I think this will change in the next centuries tho. Take a look at german television, there is just shit for stupid people running now. The post world war II era where the economy boomed and germany got known for having great minds and productivity is long gone... There are few good manufactures or "think tanks" left where one could proudly say "It's made in Germany!".

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

Guns don't harm people. People harm people. There are more guns in Canada than in the US or probably the same amount(?) (I saw that on a Michael Moore documentary) but there are no killings at all.. How do you explain that?

Damn, i guess i should just turn in my badge and gun and find a new career....

You wanna compare Canada killings to US killings? That was just an exaggeration but you know what I mean.

"Save the cheerleader, save the world- Hiro Nakamura

The hero LinusTechTips forum deserves, but not the one it needs.

My opinion is taking away legal guns won't help it is illegal guns that do the killing it would be very much like prohibition meaning useless the thing we should try to do it update our failing mental health care system and keep crazies from getting guns not the normal people.

+1 for textbook use of sarcasm :P

You wanna compare Canada killings to US killings? That was just an exaggeration but you know what I mean.

I know i know :P

And regarding another point in that post of yours. There is roughly 10 million registered firearms here in  Canada.  35m people...10m guns (roughly)

There is actually 27 other countries with more gun homicide then the us..

No there is not, USA is 4th, and the entire top 10 list is a bunch of third world countries and USA.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir-crime-murders-with-firearms

The first other western developed county to appear on the list is Germany, in 11th, and they had 269 compared to USA's 9369.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

The first other western developed county to appear on the list is Germany, in 11th, and they had 269 compared to USA's 9369.

Are these gun related crimes or are shootings by the police included?

Because there tend to happen a lot of shooting related "accidents" by the police here, the kind where you don't hear much about in the press. Otherwise the number seems a bit high, atleast from what i get trough the media here. And the media never fails to instill fear and panic into its customers/citizens brains... It's good for business.

I'm not totally against guns, but I'm a little confused on the meaning of the second amendment...

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Would this mean that everyone has a right to bear arms (Like it is interpreted as currently), or just those involved in an organised militia, it wasn't worded that well. I'm leaning towards the "everyone has the right" option. Opinions?

I'm not totally against guns, but I'm a little confused on the meaning of the second amendment...

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Would this mean that everyone has a right to bear arms (Like it is interpreted as currently), or just those involved in an organised militia, it wasn't worded that well. Opinions?

From documentations around the process of drafting the US constitution and the politics at the time, one can only summarize, that it was meant to allow guns to everyone and not just militia.

The UK has a worse violent crime rate then the US.So taking guns away didn't help there..Did you not see the guy running around with a hatchet killing a guy in London for 20 min before help showed up..And everyone just watched..Look at Chicago where they banned guns and crime skyrocketed..But yet states where you can legally carry a gun on your hip has the lowest crimes of any other states..

No matter what criminals will get guns but why take them away from law abiding citizens..

To your first point: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22275280

To your second point, their murder rate, especially with guns is much lower.

To your third point, a guy runs around with a gun and kills a bunch of people about every other week over here. I'll take the hatchet. 

Chicago is a poor example, banning something in one municipality is ineffective when you can drive a couple miles and get it with no consequences.

If guns are banned, you limit the overall supply. The less guns there are, the fewer can get in to the hands of criminals. 

The thing about banning guns is that all it does is open up the blackmarket making those who can get guns so much more dangerous. So im all for my guns.

I also believe that banning guns is 100% un-constitutional.

Grow up and change it then.

It is GLARINGLY obvious that change needs to happen regarding gun control in the US. I don't care if people think 'people kill people, not guns'. Something needs to be done. If you think proper gun regulation won't fix the problem, you are flat out wrong. Australia went through the exact same thing and look where we are now. I don't care if it happened on a smaller scale, it worked, as does gun control in other FIRST WORLD WESTERN COUNTRIES. If a comedy show can prove what should be done and exemplify how American politicians operate, the US's gun situation must really be a joke. Get with the times.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Grow up and change it then.

It is GLARINGLY obvious that change needs to happen regarding gun control in the US. I don't care if people think 'people kill people, not guns'. Something needs to be done. If you think proper gun regulation won't fix the problem, you are flat out wrong. Australia went through the exact same thing and look where we are now. I don't care if it happened on a smaller scale, it worked, as does gun control in other FIRST WORLD WESTERN COUNTRIES. If a comedy show can prove what should be done and exemplify how American politicians operate, the US's gun situation must really be a joke. Get with the times.

Hasn't crime rate in Australia been increasing over the last few decades (edit: didn't meant decades, I meant years, and I found the picture after I typed that)? They may not have had any more mass shootings, but those are a very small percentage of actual firearm related homicides.

Australian+Armed+Robberies+Bef+&+Aft+gun

I live in Canada, a place where there is a fairly significant number of firearm related murders, and the gun regulations are extreme. You can't claim that gun regulations are the only reason that a country like Swizerland would have so few homocides. Plus, if you actually trust the US government, you're doing it wrong. They have been doing some shady things lately, and IIRC, they said that they were allowed to use drones on their own citizens if they were terrorists.

I live in Canada, a place where there is a fairly significant number of firearm related murders, and the gun regulations are extreme. You can't claim that gun regulations are the only reason that a country like Swizerland would have so few homocides. Plus, if you actually trust the US government, you're doing it wrong. They have been doing some shady things lately, and IIRC, they said that they were allowed to use drones on their own citizens if they were terrorists.

As far as i know either switzerland or austria allow or atleast used to allow you to store your weapons (like maschine guns and stuff) which you need for war time at home. This was also the case so the government would never be able to supress the people.

As far as i know either switzerland or austria allow or atleast used to allow you to store your weapons (like maschine guns and stuff) which you need for war time at home. This was also the case so the government would never be able to supress the people.

Yeah, it's pretty much the same thing as the US. If any government, internal or external tries to mess with the people, it's not gonna go well for that government.

We don't trust our government. They lie they tap or phones and they do illegal IRS audits. And our president can't prove he was even born here. Now he says he has the say so to use drone strikes on American citizens if he feels they are a terrorist. We keep our guns incase we need them for all enemies foreign and domestic...

It always makes me laugh when pro gun lobbyists say, you don't take away cars because of drunk drivers killing people or road rage deaths yet you want to take away our guns.

Because a car that brings many benefits to society is really the same as a tool designed to kill.

You don't regulate home cleaning supplies even though they can be used in bombs because they have multiple purposes. Guns have one purpose they should be regulated not everyone needs a gun nor does everyone deserve a gun.

Its ok to have relaxed regulation when your social standards and wealth divide is minor as others have shown earlier those countries have lots of guns and low deaths. 

America is a joke when it comes to regulating firearms, and by the looks of their bought government they always will be. American's want guns to protect them from an evil government, have you seen what they've done over the past 13 years? republican and democrat they both unite under one flag the dollar.

On the subject of individual States regulating guns and the violence going up you are aware they can easily go across state lines by a gun bring it home as is evident many had ended up doing.

Finally I just want to say, I'm not for banning all guns , I enjoy going out and shooting on the rare occasion I get to do so, and I'm from a country with insane laws on guns. But surely you American's must see some of your law abiding citizens should not be given guns or at least certain types of guns, I don't know about you but someone with a history of a mental disorder shouldn't really be going around buying up semi-automatic rifles. Yes they are good people, but as it stands you wouldn't let a person drive a car if he is unfit to do so.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090