Do you know what really grind my gears about the LTT forums?

mythicalbeast

Do you know what really grind my gears about this forum? Or really the entire PC community all together? 

All the people who would never go SLI or Crossfire, and allways say that others should go single GPU because of "With a single card you can uppgrade to SLI/crossfire later" and "Less heat and lower power consumption, pluss not all games support SLI". And this is literally 70%+ of the forum (yes, I have done thorough polls). But the same people allways recommend the absolute minimum required PSU's for new builds. Like if the build draws 460w of power, they recommend a 500w PSU.

But now I need to ask those people: What happend to "With a single card you can uppgrade to SLI/crossfire later"? If you go SLI/Crossfire you will need to buy a new PSU.

And that's not all. Why is it so that you "allways recomend SLI because it draws less power and makes room for uppgrade to SLI later"? Do you really expect that every single person ever should buy a 780 over 770SLI because it makes room for uppgrading to SLI later on and because it draws more power? 770SLI comes at the sasme price as the 780, but with a much greater performance. What if I don't want to spend an initial 500$ on a 780 and then annother 400 when it drops in price? And instead only want to spend 500 on 770SLI and uppgrade to 870SLI when that comes out. As well as if your 2 770s isn't enough. Get a third one, for a total of 750$. People really underestimate the performance gain of SLI, there really isn't much performance drop going from single to SLI. 

But wait theres more! What if I don't care about power consumption? Do I have to have to have the exact same criteria as you? Stop showing your own opinion down my throat! 

You thaught that was all? Oh no, there's more! "Not all games support SLI/Crossfire". That argument is near irrelevant! Most games which would bennefit from SLI/crossfire has support for it. Yes, a platformer doesn't support SLI, do that really matter? No it doesn't! A platformer don't bennefit from SLI. But AAA games like BF4 does, oh wait. That support SLI. So your argument is invalid.

This enforcement of the notion that SLI is shit and that single GPUs are the absolutilly best way to go needs to die.

Please, if you disagree, think I'm full of shit, or that I am compleatilly wrong and need to get my facts straight, please share your opinion in the comments.

Love-MythicalBeast <(^-^)>

Oh, man. Not another rant thread.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I'm slowly backing away from this....

while I watch from behind what goes on here...

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Do you know what really grind my gears about this forum? Or really the entire PC community all together? 

All the people who would never go SLI or Crossfire, and allways say that others should go single GPU because of "With a single card you can uppgrade to SLI/crossfire later" and "Less heat and lower power consumption, pluss not all games support SLI". And this is literally 70%+ of the forum (yes, I have done thorough polls). But the same people allways recommend the absolute minimum required PSU's for new builds. Like if the build draws 460w of power, they recommend a 500w PSU.

But now I need to ask those people: What happend to "With a single card you can uppgrade to SLI/crossfire later"? If you go SLI/Crossfire you will need to buy a new PSU.

And that's not all. Why is it so that you "allways recomend SLI because it draws less power and makes room for uppgrade to SLI later"? Do you really expect that every single person ever should buy a 780 over 770SLI because it makes room for uppgrading to SLI later on and because it draws more power? 770SLI comes at the sasme price as the 780, but with a much greater performance. What if I don't want to spend an initial 500$ on a 780 and then annother 400 when it drops in price? And instead only want to spend 500 on 770SLI and uppgrade to 870SLI when that comes out. As well as if your 2 770s isn't enough. Get a third one, for a total of 750$. People really underestimate the performance gain of SLI, there really isn't much performance drop going from single to SLI. 

But wait theres more! What if I don't care about power consumption? Do I have to have to have the exact same criteria as you? Stop showing your own opinion down my throat! 

You thaught that was all? Oh no, there's more! "Not all games support SLI/Crossfire". That argument is near irrelevant! Most games which would bennefit from SLI/crossfire has support for it. Yes, a platformer doesn't support SLI, do that really matter? No it doesn't! A platformer don't bennefit from SLI. But AAA games like BF4 does, oh wait. That support SLI. So your argument is invalid.

This enforcement of the notion that SLI is shit and that single GPUs are the absolutilly best way to go needs to die.

Please, if you disagree, think I'm full of shit, or that I am compleatilly wrong and need to get my facts straight, please share your opinion in the comments.

Love-MythicalBeast <(^-^)>

hahahahahahahahaha that was awesome. But in all honestly *backs away but follows topic so he can watch people argue non stop haha*

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

I kinda agree with you on the power supply thing, it irks me when people come here asking for help coming up with a computer build, and you get a dozen people like "get this cheaper psu, the one that guy linked is overkill" - then they drop the line of doing SLI/Crossfire in the future. I always say to get a branded quality psu with at least 100W headroom above what you need for your rig. And i personally stick to 1 GPU, for 2 reasons. 

1 - cost

2 - game compatibility

I have quite a few old games which seem to dislike multiple gpu setups, and the fact i didn't have the money to get 2 cards at the time.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

I kinda agree with you on the power supply thing, it irks me when people come here asking for help coming up with a computer build, and you get a dozen people like "get this cheaper psu, the one that guy linked is overkill" - then they drop the line of doing SLI/Crossfire in the future. I always say to get a branded quality psu with at least 100W headroom above what you need for your rig. And i personally stick to 1 GPU, for 2 reasons. 

1 - cost

2 - game compatibility

I have quite a few old games which seem to dislike multiple gpu setups, and the fact i didn't have the money to get 2 cards at the time.

I agree with the psu in my old computer was a 850 xfx series but my power draw was only in the 400 watt area.

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

An advantage of SLI/Crossfire is if you are a person with multiple pcs in your home and you keep building them that second card you get could end up being a single card upgrade for another rig you pick up at some point.  You can also use the second card eventually as  card to give someone as a gift or heck put it in a rig you are selling.  You also end up having backup video cards too from all this if you keep them.  I will also say that someone may want to upgrade their gaming pc now to play the latest games but can't shell out for the higher end cards in one purchase and thank goodness there is the SLI/Crossfire option for poorer people. 

Bottom line ...

SLI/Crossfire is beneficial to people at times.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

What I got out of that whole thing is you cant afford a 780 sli so you dont like other people who can lol :) Also what the hell PSU would you get if the reccomended is 460???? No shit you get a 500 lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its all looks these days

well yes I agree to a point. To be rather honest I believe some people should do their own research and not rely solely on the opinions of forum members. The SLI debate is much like the AMD vs  Nvidia debate or the i5 vs 8320 debate. 

SLI still has scaling issues although less of issue than in the past, but its still a negative. 

And in what world can you get two 770 for the price of one 780? A 780 TI yes but not a 780. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

SLI and Crossfire are too hit and miss to rely on.

Single GPUs work out of the gate, no questions asked.

A vast majority of games that I play, do not support SLI/Crossfire. and never will

MOBA and MMORPG are 2 entire genre's of games that don't support dual GPU, there's little reason to buy SLI over flagship single GPU unless you're specifically build for games that use SLI.

alright I can see this going bad @LinusTech can you take care of this thread?

I don't feel that this is how its done here. People recommend a bigger power supply if the person says that he wants to SLI later.

The OP is allowed to be specific with the information he gives.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

I don't follow your math:

-780 right now it's 520-600

-770x2 600-700

I don't know why you say that dual 770s are cheaper they're not right now. In fact it is difficult to find a situation in which a single card solution isn't better for the price than an equivalent dual card solution. I've checked the math like you said but it's always stacked against you until you get to the very top of the line simply because the performance does not scale 100% when adding more cards.

Other than special cases (really deep discounts, giveaways or obtaining a free card some other way, etc) the only case it applies is people that flatout can't afford a beefier single card but for that particular case, the user still has to get a significantly more powerful PSU, a likely more expensive and bigger case as well as a more expensive motherboard that supports SLI or Crossfire. If you add those extra costs it usually balances out with the cost of just getting a better GPU.

-------

Current Rig

-------

And in what world can you get two 770 for the price of one 780? A 780 TI yes but not a 780.

Well atleast where I live 770 sli is equally priced as the 780ti, and in most cases a bit cheaper. But yeah, I should have used the 780ti as comparison instead, but done is done.

Actually I agree completely...

The phrase "grinds my gears" really ruffles my kittens.

The OP attitude kinda reminds me of myself whenever members tell others who want advice on a build that 16GB is pointless and almost religiously back each other up with 8GB is "all you need", that's just as annoying. Just because 8GB works for someone, it doesn't mean it's enough for every person and how they use their system. Whenever I used to run on 8GB, I'd get system low on memory messages so I upgraded. There are members here who would find my 16GB to be very little for what they use their systems for and on the opposite scale, members who still run on 4GB with no issue.

Multi GPUs are not very different. It's also usage, honestly. For me, I'm fine with a single large monitor and the simplicity of a single card. My fav games aren't photorealistic monsters, I like stylized stuff more. A single GPU alone puts out lots of heat anyway so that argument is moot. However, not everything scales well with SLI, that is a legitimate arguing point. Same goes for getting both cards now. To be honest, it's pointless to get a single card now with the intention of adding another if you don't add another card within a reasonable time span. Wait too long and the next gen of GPUs are already here, you'd be better off getting both at the same time.

Actually I agree completely...

dont even.....

Its all looks these days

"Oh yeah, I'm totally gonna SLI my 580 in six months or so"

- Me, May 2012

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.